Help with impossible location

warbreed

Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
My Aunt and Uncle have asked for my helping in getting them a TV signal. They have a cabin on the coast of Maine. So far we have tried:

Antenna with digital box (which will be required by February): One channel received.

Cable: Cost to run it from closest pole to their house is $4200 alone.

Satellite: House is at the bottom of a large sloping hill which is directly in the way of dish. Placing dish at top of hill would exceed 200-300 feet, pole mount would need to be taller then a flag pole.

DSL + Internet tricks: DSL unavailable due to distance, only low speed dial-up available.

Help!

WELCOME.

Man the property sounds like its in a hole; I would be concerned about flooding!

What is the zip code? What OTA antenna are you using and what heading is it aimed at?

I read the topography issue but what about other surroundings? I am betting there is a way to get DBS to this property.

more info

It would be nearly impossible to flood, as its seconds from the ocean. Might get some wicked swells though.

I think the zip is 04562.

Here is what I'm hoping is a link to Google maps showing the house. The house should be dead center in the picture. It is not the house with the big open lot to the north, that is their neighbor that can get satellite.

Scratch that, im not allowed to post links yet, lemme see if i can sneak one through.

ht tp://maps.go ogle.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.77003,-69.787264&spn=0.001435,0.003039&t=h&z=19

remove the spaces between the ht tp, and go ogle

I do not know what antenna they have, but i know it is a recent purchase. They have some kind of rotator that they can use to turn it. Before the digital box, they could get half a dozen channels via rotation. Now they get one, no matter how it is turned.

You said the hill was directly in the way of dish, but have you checked with DirecTV? They use different orbital slots and it may be possible that one provider could get a signal while the other couldn't. Although that far north, the elevation angle is going to be pretty low so that may not work either.

DTV

DirecTV has viewed the site and they feel that if dozens of trees were cut down, they could probably get a signal. But it's not guaranteed, and it would be very expensive to clear a path through the forest of trees that is growing on the hill.

My Aunt and Uncle have asked for my helping in getting them a TV signal. They have a cabin on the coast of Maine. So far we have tried:

Antenna with digital box (which will be required by February): One channel received.

Satellite: House is at the bottom of a large sloping hill which is directly in the way of dish. Placing dish at top of hill would exceed 200-300 feet, pole mount would need to be taller then a flag pole.

DSL + Internet tricks: DSL unavailable due to distance, only low speed dial-up available.

Help!

Well, there's always Netflix, and a DVD player!!!

Why go to a cabin like that, and watch tv anyway!! Build a deck on the ocean side, and sit in a chair watching the waves while relaxing.

Watching NEWS= NO relaxing!! :D

I'd first look at the outside antenna. Is it a VHF only antenna? In my area, the VHF channels are switching to UHF, requiring a different type of antenna. Is your antenna designed for long-range or short-range? The power output for the new digital channels are generally less than analog, possibly requiring a larger antenna or an antenna amplifier. Good luck.

I'd first look at the outside antenna. Is it a VHF only antenna? In my area, the VHF channels are switching to UHF, requiring a different type of antenna. Is your antenna designed for long-range or short-range? The power output for the new digital channels are generally less than analog, possibly requiring a larger antenna or an antenna amplifier. Good luck.

There are also a lot of digital stations who are going to be changing back to their analog frequencies and increasing power next February. The situation might improve a lot at that point.

Take a look at antennaweb to see if your area will be changing.

Help!

Are you saying that satellite is possible up on the hill? If so, 200-300' run is fine. If you want to be certain, you can use RG-11 coax to cover the distance. Other than that, I would suggest getting a check for LOS for DISH 61.5 and then just get an HD only package. 61.5 is South to Southeast from that location and at 38 degrees elevation. Check the site using Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com and select the 61.5 satellite to get an idea where the satellite is. Then, cut you a 2x4 at that angle of 38 degrees and start walking around the home site, pointing towards the 61.5 and keeping the 2x4 level and sighting up your cut line to see if you have a clear LOS. Then, mark the possible spots. Hire a local retailer and see to it they send someone who uses a SUUNTO inclinometer to check the line of sight from your suggested positions. You may even get Eastern Arc service from DISH this way, although you may need 3 separate dishes and switch to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)