Help with locking out channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Roxor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Indiana
I'm trying to lock out all the music, PPV, VOD and SD channels in my guide. I am having a hard time figuring out what is free for NHL and NBA and what is not, if any. The same goes for all the "Alt" channels I see. Also, why is there two or three different numbers for one channel in the guide? Thanks for any help you can give me. I have the AEP and all the HD.

Good luck with the NHL and NBA channels. They continually add them it seems. I block them out, at least the ones that exist when I go through the list, but notice new ones later. I think they all cost money though (except for the "info" or "preview" channel .... I think there's one of those).

The PPVs should be easy because in the "Locks" menu, there is a button for "Lock all PPV" or something similar.

The reason there are the same channels in multiple locations varies.... HD channels historically were in the 94xx range but it seemed that enough people couldn't "find" them there, so Dish re-mapped them next to the SD version. That's why there are (2) channel "140" for ESPN. Locals are in the 4000-5000 range but again, people couldn't find them, so Dish re-maps them to their familiar channel, i.e. channel 5 or 7 or 16.

Good luck with the NHL and NBA channels. They continually add them it seems. I block them out, at least the ones that exist when I go through the list, but notice new ones later. I think they all cost money though (except for the "info" or "preview" channel .... I think there's one of those).

The PPVs should be easy because in the "Locks" menu, there is a button for "Lock all PPV" or something similar.

The reason there are the same channels in multiple locations varies.... HD channels historically were in the 94xx range but it seemed that enough people couldn't "find" them there, so Dish re-mapped them next to the SD version. That's why there are (2) channel "140" for ESPN. Locals are in the 4000-5000 range but again, people couldn't find them, so Dish re-maps them to their familiar channel, i.e. channel 5 or 7 or 16.
Thanks for the info. Without all the junk I find it so much easier to find something to watch. Now, I am going to get rid of all the infomercial channels.

There is 1 NBA (9508 mapped to 402) and 1 NHL (9540 mapped to 403) channel that you may want to keep - for they actually get programming. I overlooked this for months and then realized that all but one of each are pay channels and the other ones are like a sports channel.

You are probably locking the system, locking the channels and hiding the locked channels - right?

I've got about 2/3 of my channels locked and hidden. If you go too overboard on the locks after hiding them, you won't see something you might actually watch. Some are obvious to lock out - but if you don't know - you can always make a favorites list and use it primarily. That way if you search for something in the guide - it will still show up.

WFN, MGM, CI & BETJ appear to not have a higher number mapped channel, so heads up if you are locking out all the lower numbered copies. I think they are in the 370-390 range.

Last edited:
Yes, there are a few of the "newer" HD channels that aren't re-mapped to the 94xx range. Never understood or heard a reason why...

Set up a "Favorites" for the channels you normally watch and you don't have to worry about locking out anything.

Favorites don't help if someone cycles out of the FAV guide view though. Locks works across the board, even if someone ends up on "All Chan".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts