Help With Moving/Satmaps

trumanhorn

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Missouri
I'm planning to move this fall (for real), and I want to make sure I can still access sports programming that's important to me (via "moving"). I found a DMA that will carry my teams, but the city where I'm moving is just barely outside the blue ring on SatMaps. Will I actually be able to receive programming at that signal strength?

Side note...it's on satellite 61.5, if that makes a difference, and the locals in the market where I'm moving are on 110. Is that a problem right there?

I'm planning to move this fall (for real), and I want to make sure I can still access sports programming that's important to me (via "moving"). I found a DMA that will carry my teams, but the city where I'm moving is just barely outside the blue ring on SatMaps. Will I actually be able to receive programming at that signal strength?

Side note...it's on satellite 61.5, if that makes a difference, and the locals in the market where I'm moving are on 110. Is that a problem right there?

The blue contour is the -4dbw contour and should be a good strong signal on a standard dish on Echostar/Dish satellites.

Regarding your locals vs sports. Your sports dma will be the same dma as the city dma you have moved to (your service address). You can not mix two dma's even though the two signal streams may be available for reception. All sports and local programming you receive are tied to one single address (dma).

The blue contour is the -4dbw contour and should be a good strong signal on a standard dish on Echostar/Dish satellites.

Regarding your locals vs sports. Your sports dma will be the same dma as the city dma you have moved to (your service address). You can not mix two dma's even though the two signal streams may be available for reception. All sports and local programming you receive are tied to one single address (dma).

Thanks for the info, and I wasn't clear on the second part. I know I can't mix DMAs, but I was concerned that if my install tech was pointing the satellite to receive locals at 110, I wouldn't be able to receive signal from 61.5 (which is what I want to use). Cause for concern?

You need to see the sat if order to get programing off it. If you want 61.5, you need to be pointed at it. Installer does not have to set you up as you like if it is not on his work order, you may have to pay extra or do it yourself. What exactly on 61.5 are you trying to get, call sign channel number rsn (specific location)?

I'm confused about something. It does sound like you are trying to mix programming from DMA's. You are trying to get sports from a different DMA than your locals will be. Can't be done. Just going by your own statement - if the sports RSN is on 61.5 and not the Western ARC (And I assume you mean HD because the RSN's are all on both ARC's) and your locals are only on the Western ARC, that says different DMA's...

Side note...it's on satellite 61.5, if that makes a difference, and the locals in the market where I'm moving are on 110.

Or, are you saying the tech will be coming to install the locals where you are physically, but everything - the locals and RSN are on the Eastern ARC that you will be getting eventually, and he will be installing the Western ARC? If that's what you meant yes that might be a problem, he will coming to install a Western ARC. Are you sure the locals where you physically will be are not on the Eastern Arc also?

Last edited:
I'm confused about something. It does sound like you are trying to mix programming from DMA's. You are trying to get sports from a different DMA than your locals will be. Can't be done. Just going by your own statement - if the sports RSN is on 61.5 and not the Western ARC (And I assume you mean HD because the RSN's are all on both ARC's) and your locals are only on the Western ARC, that says different DMA's...

Or, are you saying the tech will be coming to install the locals where you are physically, but everything - the locals and RSN are on the Eastern ARC that you will be getting eventually, and he will be installing the Western ARC? If that's what you meant yes that might be a problem, he will coming to install a Western ARC. Are you sure the locals where you physically will be are not on the Eastern Arc also?

Nope, locals, not RSNs. I'm mainly focused on NFL games. I could care less about my locals where I'll be living, but I'm sure the Dish tech won't share my feelings.

You need to see the sat if order to get programing off it. If you want 61.5, you need to be pointed at it. Installer does not have to set you up as you like if it is not on his work order, you may have to pay extra or do it yourself. What exactly on 61.5 are you trying to get, call sign channel number rsn (specific location)?

I'm trying to "move" for locals. Will the tech work with me?

I think if you re-read your original post you will see why we are so confused, I even got an Email asking what you were talking about before someone responded. You specifically talk about getting your sports "teams" that nearly always means via an RSN when talking about moving. I think I finally get what you are trying to do, just get locals from a different DMA, nothing to do with what RSN you will get. If your actual address would require a Western Arc set-up I would say let him/her install the Western Arc but add 61.5 and pay for that portion. He will use a DP44 switch and you will get four satellites. That is assuming you can see both ARC's. It will require two dishes.

I think if you re-read your original post you will see why we are so confused, I even got an Email asking what you were talking about before someone responded. You specifically talk about getting your sports "teams" that nearly always means via an RSN when talking about moving. I think I finally get what you are trying to do, just get locals from a different DMA, nothing to do with what RSN you will get. If your actual address would require a Western Arc set-up I would say let him/her install the Western Arc but add 61.5 and pay for that portion. He will use a DP44 switch and you will get four satellites. That is assuming you can see both ARC's. It will require two dishes.

Yeah, you're exactly right in your assumptions. Sorry guys, my bad for the lack of clarity (and thanks for the help, even though I probably couldn't have been more unclear in asking for it). One more question... If I need a second dish plus a fancier switch, I'm assuming I would pay for those out of pocket? And probably tip my installer? I'm just curious how much I should plan to spend.

This just seems messed up. Moving is a DIY activity, and not something you should be trying to have a DISH tech do for you. JMHO.

Just remember Eastern Arc requires MPEG 4 reception so 61.5 requires VIP receivers. If DISH tag your address as EA you may need DIRT assistance to get WA channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)