Help with Phone Line

Krushice

Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
I have my phone line connected to the voom reciever however when looking closer at the menu under the installer menu it says phone number and no phone number to be listed or called. Is there suppose to be phone number listed here or should I leave it blank because the rest of the items are blank as well?

As of right now, you don't really have to plug the box into the phone jack. Voom requires you to have it plugged in, but there are not enforcing it right now. Don't worry yourself about it, and just enjoy watching Voom!

caller ID

Tell me again what the caller ID feature is. Do I need to subscribe to Caller ID though my phone company for it to work? :confused:

Yeah, you’ll need to subscribe with your phone company but it is pretty inexpensive, like $3 per month or something like that.

The feature basically displays the caller ID information (Name of Caller and telephone number) on your TV screen when you get a call.

I've thought about plugging mine in...but to be honest, when I'm watching TV, I think it would really frustrate me to see the name/number on my screen even MORE than the phone ringing ;)

As a friend of mine used to say..."I put that phone in for MY convenience...not anyone elses." :)

Lob

branchbouncer said:
With teenagers and younger ones too I'd be watching Caller Id and not VOOM
Which is a good thing, right? Don't you want to instantly know who's calling your teenager? If the wrong person called, you can get off your couch and intercept the call IMMEDIATELY :D

We have VOIP and our ISP has an option that enables us to block any numbers we feel are a threat or a nuisance ,also have the option to turn the phone service off for a period of time and then back on when we want it.We do have some numbers blocked but we are lucky enough that for the most part the kids are upfront with us and it is usually a friend of a friend that we worry about.I put a lot of trust in my childern and I think that they realize this is something that they earn by being honest with us,and that if they screw up that "The Fires Of Hell will be released upon them or thier friends"(in others words loses of privileges-computer-cell-landline-DSL-game server-etc)The other problem is the Moto stb has alot of design flaws and for some unknown reason will not recognize the service whereas the D* HTL-HD that is hooked up has no problem and the other varios brands of SD stb through out the house have no problems either

Yes, for Caller ID you have to be a subscriber through your local phone company and then you have to a phone line to your STB and have it enabled through your VOOM menu.

Still enjoying HDTV although sunny Seattle skies call us outdoors, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)