Help with VCR setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kpeercy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Could someone please tell me how to hook my VCR up to the receiver so that I can record shows from the satellite? I want to hook it to a Dish 322. I have a composite connection empty on the 322, but the VCR only has the yellow and white input. How do I make this work? By the way, I tried this with the 811 with no luck. I have a GoVideo VCR and I can't get it setup for event timers.

Your VCR only has A yellow and white composite input no red? Is it a hi-fi model?
Usually yellow is for video and red and white for audio.
Try the video from the 322 into the yellow and one of the audio into the white, you must then select from thr vcr menu the input (aux,line or what ever it is labeled)
This should work. :)

That VCR has only yellow and white becaue it is a MONO VCR. Hook either one of the audio outputs to the white jack or go to Radio Shack and get a combiner that will put both audio channels into one signal.

You can use the timer on the VCR to record. I am not familiar with the 322 so I will not give advice on that subject.

Good luck

kpeercy said:
Could someone please tell me how to hook my VCR up to the receiver so that I can record shows from the satellite? I want to hook it to a Dish 322. I have a composite connection empty on the 322, but the VCR only has the yellow and white input. How do I make this work? By the way, I tried this with the 811 with no luck. I have a GoVideo VCR and I can't get it setup for event timers.

You should have yellow, red, and white inputs on your VCR. You probably have one set for in and one for out. You take the yellow from the receiver and plug it into the yellow IN Jack on the VCR. This is the video part. Next take the red and white on the receiver and plug them into the red and white IN on the VCR. That's the audio part. Next you have to set your record channel on external. Look in your Go Video manual to see how that is done. It often is on channel 1 but may an input select on your remote that will change it from internal and external inputs.

What model number is your Go video?

Bobby said:
You should have yellow, red, and white inputs on your VCR. You probably have one set for in and one for out. You take the yellow from the receiver and plug it into the yellow IN Jack on the VCR. This is the video part. Next take the red and white on the receiver and plug them into the red and white IN on the VCR. That's the audio part. Next you have to set your record channel on external. Look in your Go Video manual to see how that is done. It often is on channel 1 but may an input select on your remote that will change it from internal and external inputs.

What model number is your Go video?

But as the chief said, if all he has is yellow & white, its a mono VCR.

Run the yellow from the video out of the 322 into the Video In of the VCR
Run the white from the audio left out on the 322 into the Audio In on the VCR

Select aux, video, line, as the input
away ya go!

Iceberg said:
But as the chief said, if all he has is yellow & white, its a mono VCR.

Run the yellow from the video out of the 322 into the Video In of the VCR
Run the white from the audio left out on the 322 into the Audio In on the VCR

Select aux, video, line, as the input
away ya go!

Looking at the Go Video website, I don't see any mention of a mono VCR. They are all dual deck VHS-VHS or DVD-VHS and they are all stereo. Each one shows a photograph that clearly shows a yellow, red and white input. That's why I asked for the model number, so we don't have to second guess, the product or each other.

Select aux, video, line, as the input...I have no idea what you mean by this. Select this on what?

On the back of the VCR, the left side has two coax inputs, one labeled "Ant In" and one labeled "TV Out". On the right side, there is a label "Out" with a yellow Video and white Audio input.

I have a composite input open on my 811 (I've decided to go with this instead of the 322) under the "Output" section. Both of the "Input" section composite hook-ups are open.

This doesn't even begin to address how I couldn't get the 811 to control the VCR anyway. I used all four of the codes listed in the book, but none of them worked. One of them even said it wasn't found in the database.

It's a GV 6020 and it's about 7 years old.

kpeercy said:
Select aux, video, line, as the input...I have no idea what you mean by this. Select this on what?

On the back of the VCR, the left side has two coax inputs, one labeled "Ant In" and one labeled "TV Out". On the right side, there is a label "Out" with a yellow Video and white Audio input.

I have a composite input open on my 811 (I've decided to go with this instead of the 322) under the "Output" section. Both of the "Input" section composite hook-ups are open.

This doesn't even begin to address how I couldn't get the 811 to control the VCR anyway. I used all four of the codes listed in the book, but none of them worked. One of them even said it wasn't found in the database.

It is all coming together now. You say that on the back of the VCR it has a label that says OUT and has a yellow and white RCA plug. That proves that we are talking about a mono VCR. But that's not half the problem. The label OUT means just that, OUT. It is the composite output to the TV. does this VCR have a label IN with the same RCA plugs? If not, you have no way to have an external input except with a channel 3 or 4 coax attached to TV OUT. Next, the 811 input RCA plugs are inputs only. They are there to give you a way to run outputs of a VCR or DVD through the 811 and then on to the TV. You have to use the OUTPUT composite connections to interface with the VCR. However if you don't have an INPUT composite on the VCR, the point is moot. Your 7 year old VCR is ancient by today's standards and it's pretty hard to make it do what the newer ones will.

I was afraid of that. I've had Dish for about 2 1/2 months and I've just had the VCR connected to the TV using a coax cable, which allows me to view a VCR tape only (no recording at all). I guess I need a new VCR. What's a cheap VCR that will allow me to record Dish programs?

kpeercy said:
I was afraid of that. I've had Dish for about 2 1/2 months and I've just had the VCR connected to the TV using a coax cable, which allows me to view a VCR tape only (no recording at all). I guess I need a new VCR. What's a cheap VCR that will allow me to record Dish programs?

There are tons of them out there. Take your pick. Go with one that has a "name" and that will help you to get the receiver to interface with it well. VCRs are less than $100 these days. An example would be:

http://goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=254116

This is a JVC that goes for $80 with free shipping.

Good luck

That one shows that it only has one RCA "Out" in the rear. Didn't you say in an earlier post that you need an RCA "In" to hook the VCR to the receiver's "Out"?

kpeercy said:
That one shows that it only has one RCA "Out" in the rear. Didn't you say in an earlier post that you need an RCA "In" to hook the VCR to the receiver's "Out"?

Actually, you're right. The back has only RCA OUT. The front has the RCA IN. That's just one example, look around a bit, you'll find just what you need.

kpeercy said:

There HAS to be a set of audio/video in plugs on it. Check the front.
I've got 3 VCR's that are all at least 20 years old and all of them have A/V plugs in the front for video input.

As for the Aux, video, etc...on the remote (probably in the menu) there is something that says "source" or "Input". Otherwise, go to the lowest channel and hit the channel down button. It might go to the aux.

Seriously, until you have exhausted all resources, I would not get a new one just yet.

Also, the 811 has a set of AV out plugs.

Okay, I located the Audio and Video in on the front. However, how do I view a VCR tape? If I don't have anything running to the TV, when I push play on the VCR how do I see it? My TV has two component and four composite videos, but changing those won't allow me to view the VCR. Do I have to change something on the receiver to allow me to view the tape?

This is an 811. The 811 is connected to my TV by component video cables with RCA cables for audio.

kpeercy said:
Okay, I located the Audio and Video in on the front. However, how do I view a VCR tape? If I don't have anything running to the TV, when I push play on the VCR how do I see it? My TV has two component and four composite videos, but changing those won't allow me to view the VCR. Do I have to change something on the receiver to allow me to view the tape?

OK, now that you've found your audio-video IN jacks (thanks Iceberg) here's what you do. Run the cables from your 811 RCA composite out (yellow and white) to the front audio-video RCA composite IN on the front of your GV. Next, run a set of cables from the back of the GV audio-video OUT (yellow and white) to one of your four composite inputs on the TV. Change your input on the TV to correspond with the input you selected on the back of the TV. You should now be able to watch a video tape.

I'll see what I can find out about the external input and how to select it for recording.

The way select your front jacks for recording is channel 00. Just change your channel on the GV to 00 and you should be watching, and therefore recording, the signal out of the 811.

Since the 811 has 2 sets of AV outputs, here is how I would set it up
-one set of av out to the TV directly
-the other out from the 811 to the in on the VCR
-another set from the out on the VCR to the TV

That way he doesnt have to have the VCR on all the time.

Iceberg said:
Since the 811 has 2 sets of AV outputs, here is how I would set it up
-one set of av out to the TV directly
-the other out from the 811 to the in on the VCR
-another set from the out on the VCR to the TV

That way he doesnt have to have the VCR on all the time.

You're absolutely right. I was setting him up for recording and viewing videotapes only. That would be on one TV input and the 811 on another. Of course he might be using component only or s-video for the standard definiton side of the 811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)