Help with why my regional Sports NBA Alt channel is blacked out?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jonathan 864

Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
Pacolet, SC
I have been told by some that NBA LP free preview this week is blacking out my FOXSE regional channel that the Charlotte Hornets have always come on. They even show the pre and Postgame shows but blackout the actual games. When I look ahead on the on screen guide and game finder website the games are blacked out even after the free preview is over. I called DISH and they always blame it on the NBA even though this has never happened before. I think some kind of mistake has been made! Can someone help me, please?

Sounds like you are closer to a different NBA team then the Charlotte Hornets. Same thing happens to FSN Southwest when you a Mavericks fan or a Spurs fan in between the Mavericks and the San Antonio Spurs home DMA. it's all about location, the closer you are to Dallas, then the Spurs are blacked out in your area and the Mavericks are the game you get, but if your Closer to San Antonio, then the Mavericks will be the team who's game is blacked out and you get to see the Spurs games.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

I agree with Willh699 about location. But as you pointed out - "this has never happened before".

Blackout rules are maddening because nobody can ever give a clear idea of why certain blackouts occur.

I can't speak about basketball but here's what has happened here in Hawaii with hockey...

In Hawaii, our RSN's are from California. We get PRIME, bay area and San Diego. Two years ago we received LA Kings games on our RSN's. San Jose and Anaheim were blacked out. Last year, LA Kings games were blacked out on our RSN's and Anaheim Ducks games were shown in the clear. THIS YEAR it seems we're back to LA Kings games in the clear and Anaheim Ducks games blacked out.

If you want the Charlotte Hornets games this year, I'm guessing you'll have to buy one of the NBA packages.

Sounds like you are closer to a different NBA team then the Charlotte Hornets. Same thing happens to FSN Southwest when you a Mavericks fan or a Spurs fan in between the Mavericks and the San Antonio Spurs home DMA. it's all about location, the closer you are to Dallas, then the Spurs are blacked out in your area and the Mavericks are the game you get, but if your Closer to San Antonio, then the Mavericks will be the team who's game is blacked out and you get to see the Spurs games.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply first of all. I am in Pacolet, SC, which is only 68 miles from Charlotte. The next closest team is the Atlanta Hawks and Atlanta is 186 miles away. Is it possible that My account is showing up that I am located somewhere else? I watched the Hornets all of last season on DISH with no problems at all.

I agree with Willh699 about location. But as you pointed out - "this has never happened before".

Blackout rules are maddening because nobody can ever give a clear idea of why certain blackouts occur.

I can't speak about basketball but here's what has happened here in Hawaii with hockey...

In Hawaii, our RSN's are from California. We get PRIME, bay area and San Diego. Two years ago we received LA Kings games on our RSN's. San Jose and Anaheim were blacked out. Last year, LA Kings games were blacked out on our RSN's and Anaheim Ducks games were shown in the clear. THIS YEAR it seems we're back to LA Kings games in the clear and Anaheim Ducks games blacked out.

If you want the Charlotte Hornets games this year, I'm guessing you'll have to buy one of the NBA packages.

That is part of my problem. This LP free preview is on and it blacks out the Hornets games also. :( Something has to be wrong on DISH's end.

I finally was able to contact the NBA via email and they have replied wanting my zip code and more information so hopefully they can help settle this. The bad part is the first three games of the season (up to this point) are over and nothing can be done about that to no fault of my own but I will just be relieved to get the Hornets games again if possible. If it is LP preview that is blocking it out this whole time then that is something I'd hope the NBA would address in the future.

I would call DISH and ask for a refresh of your account, (Use that term) as well as making sure they show your correct zip code. If that does not work don't call DISH again (for anything :) ) use the DIRT team here to investigate.

I would call DISH and ask for a refresh of your account, (Use that term) as well as making sure they show your correct zip code. If that does not work don't call DISH again (for anything :) ) use the DIRT team here to investigate.

Thanks. I called and the lady asked what was on the tv screen and then went into the old spill that I've heard ad nauseum that the game is blacked out but it isn't DISH's issue, then she said the game is not available live Wednesday but the replay is on Friday and I don't even see a replay listed anywhere on my on screen guide or the game finder page. It is like she pulled that out of thin air. So she basically refused to give my account a refresh. I'm so tired of this because it is like banging my head against a wall. She did have my zip code right but that is about all she was any help with.

If DIRT is not available try another time. Tell them some channels are showing in red that you get and the last time an account refresh fixed it.... They are THE WORST CSR's.
Just to add - a couple times I have had problems not getting my locals or not getting my RSN - not often but a refresh fixed it so I didn't just pull the idea out of the air it could work. If you can get a competent CSR.

I hope a refresh or hit on your account resolves your problem.

A few interesting threads concerning sports blackouts showed up here on SG a few years ago.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...ba-blackout-rules-for-me.354999/#post-3770051

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/sports-blackout-craziness.281847/page-2

Of particular interest was a posting by GaryPen in the sports-blackout-craziness thread (quoting here):
I do seem to remember some talk about tiered zones for various teams' broadcast areas, with larger areas costing more. Of course, Dish would choose the cheapest possible one, if that were the case, meaning smaller broadcast areas within a larger blackout zones.

I don't know about tiered priced zones, but I have first hand experience with being just a mile or so away making a difference. If DISH had MSG I would get it, go down the road, same town but different section of Town and they do not even on Directv. But in the case of the poster he always got it so my guess is he needs a refresh/hit or something else is screwed up.

The game this coming Friday night was showing as available for two straight days on my RSN on the game finder page and I just checked and now it is showing as blacked out all of a sudden.

Now the Friday game is blacked out on the game finder but showing as available on the ALT channel on the on screen guide. This has happened before a few days ahead of the game and then at some point it changes to being blacked out.

The game tomorrow night vs the 76ers has been blacked out across the board for however many days you can look ahead but now it is showing as available but on NBA channels which they were blacked out on during the free preview that ends tonight.

Last edited:
I was given confirmation tonight that the Hornets games come on DIRECTV in this area. I guess I will just have to switch since DISH either A. Can't tell me what the problem is or B. Doesn't care.

I have been told by some that NBA LP free preview this week is blacking out my FOXSE regional channel that the Charlotte Hornets have always come on. They even show the pre and Postgame shows but blackout the actual games. When I look ahead on the on screen guide and game finder website the games are blacked out even after the free preview is over. I called DISH and they always blame it on the NBA even though this has never happened before. I think some kind of mistake has been made! Can someone help me, please?

I am having the exact same problem. I am in NC and have been getting the Hornets/Bobcats games for years, all of a sudden first game this season vs the Bucks I am blacked out. The next night I look in the guide, blacked out. I call Dish and tell them this is a mistake and I get the "Dish does not control blackouts" read off their script by 2 associates. I tell them that I've had satellite tv for 30 years and I understand how a blackout works and that I am telling them that there is an error on this and it needs to be looked into. The representative informs me that they can not look into this as an issue has not been reported. I politely told him a 15 year customer is reporting the issue now and I'd like it looked into. The rep said he was submitting a ticket but that no one could follow up with me on this because that's not something they do. After 45 minutes of feeling like I am banging my head against a wall I contact FOX Sports and they tell me they have other customers complaining about this and they are looking into it. All I have heard from them so far is to reset my satellite box and that has helped other customers. This does not work for me. I look at Dish's game lookup site and it appears what Dish has done is gone the cheap route and signed a new agreement and they have narrowed the broadcast area for Hornets games to a smaller window outside of Charlotte which knocks my zip out of Hornets games. I didn't feel like dealing with Dish's horrendous customer service anymore or missing any more games so I simply changed my service address to an address closer to Charlotte and now the games are coming in. I had to do the same for the Bobcats to get their games when they originally came into existence. It would be nice if Dish would just be upfront and say that they have signed a cheap deal and that's what's causing problems for customers like us.

Reactions: Jonathan 864
I was given confirmation tonight that the Hornets games come on DIRECTV in this area. I guess I will just have to switch since DISH either A. Can't tell me what the problem is or B. Doesn't care.

I mentioned to the rep I talked to opening night that the game was showing on Directv and my neighbors that had Directv were watching the game after I was told "the NBA is not allowing this game to be shown by anyone". I just laughed and asked for a supervisor who wasn't much more knowledgeable.

Just ran across this post. Strange issues for the two posters that seemingly should be (and have been) within the Hornets viewing area. I'm in Rock Hill, SC, which is still part of the Charlotte DMA, and I haven't had any issues watching all the Hornets road games via the FOXSE Alt channels including the Brooklyn game last night. (Have Season Tickets, so I go to most home games).

If it is, in fact, Dish limiting this viewing area, its pretty sad to hide behind blaming the NBA blackout rules. Have either of you tried to contact a DIRT member on the subject? May be a longshot, but perhaps they can look into it a little further than the regular CSRs, or at least give you more info than just reading the blackout rules boilerplate. Especially since you both have received the Hornets games up until this season, and seems like you are both close enough to be within the Hornets viewing area.

Heck, maybe try contacting the NBA directly (via social media, perhaps) regarding the blackout and see if Dish is correct. That may be a bigger longshot, but who knows.

Thanks for the reply first of all. I am in Pacolet, SC, which is only 68 miles from Charlotte. The next closest team is the Atlanta Hawks and Atlanta is 186 miles away. Is it possible that My account is showing up that I am located somewhere else? I watched the Hornets all of last season on DISH with no problems at all.

If you go to NBA League pass online, you can see what team(s) would be blacked out if you subscribed. For Pacolet the Hornets would be blacked out if you got the League Pass, meaning you are clearly in the Hornets Home Market and should be getting their games via your RSN.

Further because DISH CSR's are particularly dense when it comes to RSN's and Markets to the point of not even trying to find an answer see if you can DIRT to step up and make waves with DISH about the horrendous - even for DISH - CSR's. If it is DISH that has changed who they will provide the games to that information should be readily available to customers affected. If it isn't DISH they need to do better when a customer calls.

If you go to NBA League pass online, you can see what team(s) would be blacked out if you subscribed. For Pacolet the Hornets would be blacked out if you got the League Pass, meaning you are clearly in the Hornets Home Market and should be getting their games via your RSN.

Further because DISH CSR's are particularly dense when it comes to RSN's and Markets to the point of not even trying to find an answer see if you can DIRT to step up and make waves with DISH about the horrendous - even for DISH - CSR's. If it is DISH that has changed who they will provide the games to that information should be readily available to customers affected. If it isn't DISH they need to do better when a customer calls.

I messaged to a DIRT member earlier in the week and he said he'd check in on it and get back with me. He even admitted it sounded odd. He may have been off lately though so who knows. The lady on the phone told me the game last night would be on but she was calling it a reply even though it was a live game and of course it was blacked out anyway. Can I contact a DIRT team member to change my address?

I messaged to a DIRT member earlier in the week and he said he'd check in on it and get back with me. He even admitted it sounded odd. He may have been off lately though so who knows. The lady on the phone told me the game last night would be on but she was calling it a reply even though it was a live game and of course it was blacked out anyway. Can I contact a DIRT team member to change my address?

I wouldn't recommend it because they will know why you are doing it. Just do a chat on the website and do it, it's the easiest way. Make you that you tell them that you want to change ONLY your service address and leave your billing address the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)