Help!

ca-born

Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Hey guys, a few weeks ago an installer setup my DISH 500 and everything was crisp clear. The signal was over 70 and I never once got error '015'. Then, my son messed it up...I don't know what he did, but he just tells me he unplugged the cables in the back of the house. I hooked them back up and I got a picture, but it wasn't as crisp as it was before. It still looked pretty good, but there was a few diagonal lines noticeable at times, and the picture looked a bit sketchy at times. I checked the point dish screen and the signal was significantly worse...down to the 50's-60's. I ignored the problem as I didn't lose picture, and it really didn't bother me.

Today, there's been heavy winds and I haven't had a picture since morning. All I get is that stupid 015 (Acquiring satellite signal) error message. I know I get signal loss from bad weather, but wind? I didn't read anything of wind in the manual.

And that's not all, my son 'tried' to fix what he shouldn't tinker with and now in the error screen it says:

Satellite: X
Transponder: 8, 11, etc (varies)
Progress: 0 of 5

He (my son) has not fooled around with the LNBF (or whatever they're called) cables connected to the dish, but he just unplugged a white cable hooked up to another cable leading up to the receiver.

I don't know what to do! Help, I don't want to call one of those damn installers!

Call DISH 800-333-3474. Your 70 signal strength originally was too low if you have had any movement of the dish your son may not be at fault.

A D500 points at satellites 110 and 119. Both should be WELL over 70 on almost all transponders. I usually get low 90's on 110 on transponder 11, and low 100's on 119 transponder 11.

I agree, you should have check that with E* support. Your son could have "accidently" :) moved your dish when he unplugged your cables resulting additional drop in signal strength but beside of that your signal on 110 and 119 satellites should be much stronger than 70 you were originally getting. Like previous poster, my signal on these satellites is in high 90s, 100s on on few transponders.

But the dish seems securely bolted...?

Would dishnetwork charge? I'm assuming they would. :)

Okay, now I get a signal. I only get the 110 channels however. The 119 isn't working. I tightened a few cables on the dish...

If all else fails I'll call tech support.

And thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
Update: On 110 I'm getting low 50'ish signals. Still not getting anything from 119.

Update 2: Error message popped up telling me to check the switch? Checked the switch and it only shows 110 and an X for the 1st input.

Last edited:
But the dish seems securely bolted...?

Would dishnetwork charge? I'm assuming they would. :)

Okay, now I get a signal. I only get the 110 channels however. The 119 isn't working. I tightened a few cables on the dish...

If all else fails I'll call tech support.

And thanks for the help guys.
Your installation should have a 90 day warranty:)

Your dish is poorly aimed. You are only getting one satellite, and poorly at that. Get Dish out ASAP, or if you're out of warranty, find a friend that knows how to aim dishes.

boba said:
Your installation should have a 90 day warrant
Oh great, that'll save me the trouble. :eek:
Your dish is poorly aimed. You are only getting one satellite, and poorly at that. Get Dish out ASAP, or if you're out of warranty, find a friend that knows how to aim dishes.
Are you sure that's it? It keeps telling me there's a problem with the switches. But your theory would seem likely because there was a strong wind (over 40 mph) yesterday. I don't think I'm out of warranty since it's only been like a month so I'll try that.

"It keeps telling me there's a problem with the switches. "

It keeps telling you that because the switch can't find signal from the other satellite. Your dish needs to be re-aimed.

Dish will charge you for the trouble call, I can't remember exactly how much but they will charge. You could also try navychop's suggestion to find a friend who can do it for you. And last option is to try it yourself, we could help you but it's your call.

Sounds like you're from California since we had those pretty nasty winds yesterday. I lost part of the fence and had to work on it yesterday but first thing I did was to check on my dishes, they didn't move. :D

As said more than once, the dish moved, possibly the mount moving a little after the initial install, and then when your son disconnected the cables and reconnected them, he grab the dish when the ladder slipped.:D
(It could also possibly be the cable pulled out of the connector.)

However, why don't you try this.

While someone is watching the Point Dish screen on the TV, and you can hear them either shouting or using a phone; move the dish slightly and see what happens.

You do not need to loosen any nuts and bolts. Just put a little pressure on the LNBF and/or LNBF Arm, so that it moves just a Hair or maybe a Red Hair. Try East and West, as well as Up and Down; and see if the signal strength changes for the better.
NOTE: It takes the receiver about 10 seconds between each adjustment to register a new signal strength.

PS - Show your son how to do that, and then you watch the screen, when it gets good, have him hold it there until the tech comes and correct their less than optimal install. Or you could then slightly loosen the bolts and move the dish until the signal gets better, then tighten them back up.

Good luck.

Last edited:
"...first thing I did was to check on my dishes..."

We have our priorities straight! :up

"...have him hold it there until the tech comes ..."

:D :D :D

Yeah, I reside in Cali. :D

I'll try your suggestion Smity, as the installer looks like a dummy. He spent hours looking at the manual. :p

Ok, I moved the lnbf arm slightly to the right and upwards and I got a higher signal--up in the 70s. So know I know that for sure it's misaligned. Now, it was higher but I still couldn't get the 119's...? When it is properly aligned, will they show up?

Last edited:
Yeah, I reside in Cali. :D

I'll try your suggestion Smity, as the installer looks like a dummy. He spent hours looking at the manual. :p

Ok, I moved the lnbf arm slightly to the right and upwards and I got a higher signal--up in the 70s. So know I know that for sure it's misaligned. Now, it was higher but I still couldn't get the 119's...? When it is properly aligned, will they show up?

Yes, and 70's is still unacceptable (depending on the transponder). Just to repeat what has been said, there is no problem at all with your 'switches'. If you are getting 110 but not 119 you are most likely to far to the left and to far up. 119 is a bit lower and to the right...

Now I managed to get high 80's on 119 [most transponders] and mid-80's on 110.

Um, I'm a little baffled on that Azimuth, Elevation and Skew thingy.

It says:

Azimuth: 158 Elevation: 49 Skew: 83

^^^Any English translators out here? I know Skew is set right, and I know Elevation is up & down...is azimuth east/west?

And the 119 channels still don't show up...the transponder I'm at is at 77 but they still don't show up. I had a 45 signal before and they did show up. :p

Last edited:
Now I managed to get high 80's on 119 [most transponders] and mid-80's on 110.

Um, I'm a little baffled on that Azimuth, Elevation and Skew thingy.

It says:

Azimuth: 158 Elevation: 49 Skew: 83

^^^Any English translators out here? I know Skew is set right, and I know Elevation is up & down...is azimuth east/west?

And the 119 channels still don't show up...the transponder I'm at is at 77 but they still don't show up. I had a 45 signal before and they did show up. :p

Run check switch again. Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check Switch.

Azimuth is East to West.

Run check switch again. Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check Switch.

Azimuth is East to West.
I ran check switch and boom! 119's and a clear picture!

Signal's up in the high 90's now! Woo-hoo! That saved me some time, trouble, and now I get to watch Allen Iverson play with the Nuggets for the first time! Thanks a lot guys.. I'm not a patient guy, as you can probably tell. :D

Similar problem - first time post

Our DISH network service went out yesterday. The screen is giving and error 015 message as well. As far as I can see, none of the conditions listed under this error message apply - my husband went up to the roof and the dish seems secure.

I called for service, but they won't be out until next Friday afternoon - which means most of Christmas break with no TV service, and no football!

Can anyone coach me on what else to try myself rather than wait for a technician?

Sandra

Our DISH network service went out yesterday. The screen is giving and error 015 message as well. As far as I can see, none of the conditions listed under this error message apply - my husband went up to the roof and the dish seems secure.

I called for service, but they won't be out until next Friday afternoon - which means most of Christmas break with no TV service, and no football!

Can anyone coach me on what else to try myself rather than wait for a technician?

Sandra
Check the receiver first, see if everything's good. I thought my dish was secure too but it was poorly aimed. Don't trust yourself. :p

Okay, what does "check the receiver mean?" I've gone through the steps at tech support at DISHnet.com. It looks like there's no signal coming in at all. Should I assume it is as basic as the dish getting misaligned?

How hard is it to realign it?

Maybe I'll let my husband take over tomorrow as he has a little more skill in the technical arena.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts