Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
The space!
I think DirecTV should have a new HD-DVR out with a 1TB HDD at least.
Yes, you can upgrade your own DVR, however you have to have an ugly expansion outside.

Just curious, would people (you readers) be willing to pay $100 more for a HR21 if it had a factory installed 1TB drive instead of the 300gb?

As HD continues to grow more popular, D* may need to consider marketing a HD DVR with more than 50 hours storage. 200 hours HD storage sounds a lot better.

I think in general, the 1tb sata drives are $100 or so more than a 320gb.

Yes, do you have one? I am willing to pay for it.
I will miss the OTA feature on the back, but it's a small price for me, since DTV has my locals in HD cept the CW network.

No, I refuse to pay extra, just give me the same access I have with ReplayTV (which DirecTV now OWNS); to allow my network connected DirecTV DVR to have read/write access via my PC and 3rd party software such as DVarchive and I could careless what size HDD the DVR has over its current base as my PC's 1.5TB and my 2TB network attached storage will come into play and be much more user friendly and user accessible..

I second that emotion. I would love to have some PC sharing capabilities so that my 2TB NAS could get a real workout. I can just picture it now...an entire season of Duke Basketball recorded in HD...and the wifey still gets to watch her shows on the DVR without me crowding her out. :D :up

And if it were truly taking advantage of the "network" aspect of the NAS, I could set up the bedroom DVR to record all the games, store them on the NAS and watch on the big screen anytime. Man, the possibilities are seemingly endless with 2 DVRs (4 concurrent tuners) and a multi-TB NAS. Mmmmm :hungry: :eureka

While I have no issue with an external drive on my DVR, I would certainly likle to be able to write to my new media PC I'm putting togteher that's going to have about 1.5TB available.

Having to "store" programming on the DVR is a pain, Just the idea that it's sitting on the DVR bugs me.

Give me the PC sharing to do that and I'll be happy.

Then I would care less about how big the drive in the DVR is.

I would, it'd cost me that much to add a Free Gent Pro 750. Id rather just have a dvr with larger space than some other pc of equip in my ent center.

I would, it'd cost me that much to add a Free Gent Pro 750. Id rather just have a dvr with larger space than some other pc of equip in my ent center.

I don't know, I kind of like the idea of being able to use the PC as a Media Center. Hey wait, didn't Microsoft specifically name one of their machines Media Center anyway. ;) Might be nice to actually use it at it full potential. Not saying you HAVE TO use the PC, but to have it as a viable option would make a LOT of people very happy. I for one am not really interested in using the eSATA option for my DVR. But given the proximity of my PC to my Home Theater setup and network, I could easily spruce up my recording and storage by adding another cog (the PC) into the great mechanism. And having it as part of the network storage answers the question of not needing a second (or third) eSATA drive for additional DVR's.

I have NEVER needed a PC near or even in my HT. Thats what my network is for; keep all my gear tied together, but in a central, more preferred room.

I have NEVER needed a PC near or even in my HT. Thats what my network is for; keep all my gear tied together, but in a central, more preferred room.
Likewise...mine just happens to be next to the entertainment center since I just gave up my home office so my younger son could have his own bedroom and not share with his brother. Both children are much happier now, and I am not all that upset since I can now hook up my PC to the 50" plasma and watch PC-based material on the big screen. :D

Mine is going to be in the basement directly under my Entertainment Center. Short cable runs and no PC sitting in the Living room.

I would rather they make improvements, (Yes a larger HD would be nice, I could see them going to a 500 GB on board, doubt that they would go to 1 TB for quite awhile)

I would rather have them make adjustments so we could use our internal along with our externals, and also be able to move the recorded programming ( EHD) from one rec to another or be able to view any programming from any of my current rec's.

Jimbo

All their internal drives should be SATA II (if they aren't now) and considering you can get 500GB units for $70 shipped and 1TB units for $149; THEY (DirecV) should be able to bulk buy these down in price to easily put them in the DVRs and keep the cost at or lower than where they are now.

I think everyone is jumping the gun assuming two things:
  • that the size of 1080p24 movies will be significantly larger than 1080i
  • that they will stay on your hard drive long enough for any size difference to matter

If the same level of compression (% of original picture quality) is used, 1080p24 could actually be smaller than 1080i because of more repeated information in the same line (not its neighbor) frame-to-frame. A lot of folks are assuming that DirecTV (and Dish) will be compressing these movies in a vastly different way but that is not anywhere in the material. For now it makes sense to assume that the only thing changing is 1080i60 -> 1080p24.

Nowhere does it say that these will be anything other than PPV or VOD. Both of these have expirations.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts