HBO/Cinemax HDs better be part of D* Aug 14 additions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

voomontheloon

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Now that E* has added many HBO/Cinemax HD channels, D* better do the same, or else it would lose its competitive edge among movie fans.

Look at all these channels E* has but D* doesn't:
Actionmax
Cinemax5star
HBO2
HBOsignature
HBOcomedy
HBOfamily
HBOzone
HBOlatino

I know D* has some Showtime and Starz channels that E* does not have, but these are usually considered second string channels compared to HBO/Cinemax.

Do all of those have a HD option?

Also, I do want them, BUT DirecTV carries those premiums that air 1st run programming. What these others have can be found on DVD and thus its not a HUGE competitive loss.

How much does Dish charge for HBO. D* charges $14 which is higher than any other premium. If Dish charges less, there is an argument (I think that there is regardless). The more channels the better.

Now that E* has added many HBO/Cinemax HD channels, D* better do the same, or else it would lose its competitive edge among movie fans.

Actionmax
Cinemax5star
HBO2
HBOsignature
HBOcomedy
HBOfamily
HBOzone
HBOlatino

I know D* has some Showtime and Starz channels that E* does not have, but these are usually considered second string channels compared to HBO/Cinemax.

COMPLETELY agree with you. These were promised to us a long time ago, and now Dish got them before we did. As a premium sub, I may look elsewhere if they stay this far behind in premiums. I'm NOT waiting for D12 to get these.

How much does Dish charge for HBO. D* charges $14 which is higher than any other premium. If Dish charges less, there is an argument (I think that there is regardless). The more channels the better.

$15 by itself
$11 when another premium is added
$10 with any DVR advantage package

Actionmax
Cinemax5star
HBO2
HBOsignature
HBOcomedy
HBOfamily
HBOzone
HBOlatino

The only movie channels that D* has that E* does not is the extra Showtimes. E* has all the available STARZ HD channels as well as Encore HD. I would not classify STARZ as second tier to Cinemax either.

but yet D* and their DA subs claim to be "The HD Leader"
what a laugh

As someone who just switched from E*, I must say that you would not disagree with that had you just switched over. Sure, Dish may have a few more movie channels in HD at the moment, but the PQ on those channels are substandard. 2 years back I signed up for Dish instead of D* due to how bad the quality was on D*'s HD channels (I was a cable subscriber at the time). This week I switched from Dish to D* because of D*'s PQ.

Dish is squeezing too many HD channels per transponder, cutting back on resolution and bitrate.

As another poster said, I don't mind waiting for a few weeks, or even one or two months.

But if it is to be 6 months or more, that would be a different story.

I don't believe we will see these premiums on 8/14. However, I do think we will see them soon after. Probably in September.

There should be some premiums on Aug.14. According to a statement that Direct sent Jason stating that Direct should have 130 national hd on August 14. It does not state what channels will be but you would think that there will be some premiums.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1464055-post261.html

They need to defend their title as the leader so make it happen.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)