HBO/Cinemax HDs better be part of D* Aug 14 additions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would reckon, at this moment, D* and E* are pretty even in sports/action, and E* has the edge in movies (because of its HBO/Cinemax HD channels).
I agree with most of your post, but I could not let this one part go. D and E are no where close to being even in sports/action. In fact Direct has a bigger lead in the sports realm than Dish has in the movie realm. Direct blows Dish away in sports by a very very large number.

I do think D* is blowing it.

I just dumped Starz and Cinemax as Netflix has much better choices, at a lower cost, and in Blu-ray. I can also watch them when I want. I would dump HBO and Showtime too if it were not for their original programming.

I just dumped Starz and Cinemax as Netflix has much better choices, at a lower cost, and in Blu-ray. I can also watch them when I want. I would dump HBO and Showtime too if it were not for their original programming.

With that mentality, why not just wait for your HBO/Showtime shows to hit DVD and cancel them too. Doesn't Netflix rent these series? I know you can buy them on DVD, so you should be able to get them from Netflix.

In my opinion, HBO is a real bastard in taking away good series. Lucky Louie was so refreshingly good. I cherished season 1 and longed for a second season. HBO canceled it. Carnivale was a good show too and could have come back.

I am mixed on Showtime. I haven't really fallen in love with anything. I like the Penn and Teller BS show. That is on Showtime, right? or is it HBO.

The bottom line is, just about everything eventually hits DVD. One could get rid of all premiums as you did Max and Starz, if all they wanted was the series.

I keep all the premiums around for those hidden gems that I would have otherwise not found (movies).

Don't know why, but these threads are funny to me.

Be patient, adjust your packages to suit your current valuation of them, and wait it out. Your choice doesn't make it wrong or right, it also doesn't make you/others better than each other.

Competition will mandate that all of the above and more will appear in HD on both providers, the only question is when.

I agree with most of your post, but I could not let this one part go. D and E are no where close to being even in sports/action. In fact Direct has a bigger lead in the sports realm than Dish has in the movie realm. Direct blows Dish away in sports by a very very large number.

Yes, you're right if one takes ALL sports packages into account. I was referring in my initial post to national HD channels only.

Competition will mandate that all of the above and more will appear in HD on both providers, the only question is when.

But wait for how long is the all importanrt question.

I admit I'm a bigger movie than sports fan. I had been with D* for over a decade before I switched to E* when the latter started to offered Voom. But Voom;s movie programming turned so crappy that after 18 months I switched back to D*.

I wouldn't mind waiting for a few weeks for D* to strengthen significantly its premium movie channels. I wouldn't hesitate either to switch to E* again if I sense D* is not forthcoming.

In this sense, I agree with all the posters who said we need competition. Without it, there would be no pressure on the providers to offer good value to the customers. I reckon cable would provide competition enough, would it?

FWIW, I did enjoy the Voom channels. Their loss on E* was indeed a major factor in my decision to switch my HD subscriptions to D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)