here we go again, DirecTv/AT&T about to enter yet another local channel dispute, this time, with CBS

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yup. What's slowly happening (but really picking up speed here soon) is that the major content companies who own groups of cable and broadcast channels (plus movie and television studios) are going direct-to-consumer with their own streaming services that feature just their own stuff. You may be able to add in other companies' content as add-on subscriptions but you'll be able to buy, a la carte, just the stuff from Disney/ABC or WarnerMedia or NBCU or CBS/Viacom, etc.

Perhaps one day all of this will be retold in a mini-series, like a 21st century version of Pirates of Silicon Valley. The first episode might be called "Stream Wars" about the rise of a brash young hero named Netflix that aimed to transition from last-century DVD to the new-century technology of streaming video, first taking aim at King HBO but then broadening his scope to blow up the entire Cable TV Deathstar.

The second episode will pick up in fall 2020 and be called "Hollywood Strikes Back". But in this story, I'm not betting on the hero of episode one to completely triumph in the end.

The problem is that the RSN’s for example need to be part of a basic package or otherwise their direct to the consumer model does not work due to the rates they would charge.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
The problem is that the RSN’s for example need to be part of a basic package or otherwise their direct to the consumer model does not work due to the rates they would charge.

As the bundle slowly unravels, all the players will have to figure out how to price their services in the new emerging landscape. My guess is that those RSNs won't be as profitable in the future as they've been in the past.

AT&T was smart and/or lucky in negotiating their latest round of carriage contracts for the RSNs before they got sold off to Sinclair. Note that the RSNs are relegated to the most expensive "Max" tier in DirecTV Now. I believe its packages will be the basis of the upcoming AT&T TV service too. (Meanwhile, DirecTV Now is being renamed AT&T TV Now; I think the difference is simply that the "Now" version will have slightly lower pricing but not come with a streaming box and offer just a few hours of cloud DVR while the main AT&T TV service offers 500 hours of cloud DVR.)

The more popular package will be the "Plus" package, priced $20 cheaper than Max. Plus offers the ESPN channels, plus FS1, NBCSN and Golf, along with the most popular entertainment channels. Max is really just for sports-lovers, adding the RSNs and various second-string sports channels like FS2, YES, Big Ten Network, Longhorn Network, etc.

For cbs u can try cbs all access but its $$

Me, in in a fox Nextstar market so I can use fox sports go app

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
So the cbs dispute, since it's the parent owner "CBS" D* had to remove cbs on demand and others

But since D* still has an agreement with parent FOX , I can still use fox sports app and nbc app .

But the local channel nbc (10) fox (43) is blacked out via D*

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If enough people cut the cord they will take the biggest hit as they charge the most.

Yes, ESPN will be hit far harder than Fox since they charge nearly $10/month for the full suite of ESPN channels, while Fox gets less than $2 for FS1/FS2. Estimates I've seen say that only about 25% of cable/satellite subscribers are sports fans, so if they could only charge sports fans ESPN would have to charge $40/month. Not many will pay that. It would be a lot easier for Fox to charge $6 or $7 a month for FS1/FS2.

So far ESPN et al are fine though, the rate of cord cutting is lower than the yearly price increases built into their contracts. Their revenue is increasing at much slower rate than they planned (hence the layoffs, because the money they pay for sports rights is increasing based on their previous assumptions of revenue growth) but it isn't like they're going under. If the rate of cord cutting gets in the 5-10% range, then it'll start to really hurt them, but cord cutting has been pretty steady. Maybe growing slightly over time but hardly the dire predictions of alarmists who say "the cable model is dead, everyone will be streaming in five years".

SatelliteGuys is hearing a strong Rumor that AT&T (DIRECTV) is close to a deal to bring CBS channels back to their lineups.

We are hearing they are so close the channels could be back within 24 hours.

Again this is just a rumor... so keep your fingers crossed. :)

Thanks for being SatelliteGuys.

SatelliteGuys is hearing a strong Rumor that AT&T (DIRECTV) is close to a deal to bring CBS channels back to their lineups.

We are hearing they are so close the channels could be back within 24 hours.

Again this is just a rumor... so keep your fingers crossed. :)

Thanks for being SatelliteGuys.

This is not surprising. Didn't sound like they were THAT far apart. The much thornier negotiation is between AT&T and Nexstar. They say that one might go awhile (although I still expect it to wrap up by kickoff of the regular NFL season first week of Sept.)...

i don't follow College Football much but when does that season start? because I know this is CBS issue but a few ABC channels was lost in this mess, so i was hoping when college football kickoff they would come to a deal

i don't follow College Football much but when does that season start? because I know this is CBS issue but a few ABC channels was lost in this mess, so i was hoping when college football kickoff they would come to a deal
I think there is a Thursday game to start the Season, which would be August 29th.

Make that Sat August 24th and yes theres games on the next Thursday as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts