Here we go again, Hearst tv group is gone

Just did an online chat with Dish voicing my frustration, As, a side note have also contacted Hearst. I did get a one-time $30 credit to my account but would much prefer my local back.
Lucky, all I got was "here at dish we are working hard to get your local channels back...Have a nice day'

Reactions: charlesrshell
25 years ago when this happened, my memory was that the dropped station/network was replaced was a close by station carrying the same network - is there some reason this is no longer allowed? simple replacement of the network would be a nice concession. Looks like when it got close to ratings period it would scare the company owning the station into cooperating in some way.
25 years ago DiSH was activating distant nets for all takers regardless of location. Turned out they weren't supposed to be doing that and they got into trouble. Not long after they started refusing (distant) nets based on zip codes, saying you have to receive offair or else get a waiver for not being able to receive a grade B signal offair. Well, too many were then given waivers or gave bogus physical addresses and they got into trouble again, and that's when they decided the answer was to build massive infrastructure for putting everybody's locals up on sat.

The main problem, as others here have noted, is that the locals were allowed to charge DiSH per sub (they could elect to do that OR say they must carry them, but they knew they could compel payment based on viewer demand. Then nothing said they couldn't simply demand whatever amounts, and keep raising demands unchecked. They should never have been allowed to charge in the first place. Now with streaming it will all change yet again.

It's too bad you can't do this channel selection ala carte... have lost WYFF Greenville(Hearst) NBC affiliate, but would rather have WECT Wilmington anyway, would love to have smattering of stations across the state and get rid of useless channels I never watch...

It's too bad you can't do this channel selection ala carte... have lost WYFF Greenville(Hearst) NBC affiliate, but would rather have WECT Wilmington anyway, would love to have smattering of stations across the state and get rid of useless channels I never watch...
Unfortunately for many markets, what you see is what you get. But some markets you do get other markets’ locals. Like both Dish and DirecTV have both Denver’s and Albuquerque’s locals for the orphaned Colorado counties that are in the Albuquerque DMA.

25 years ago DiSH was activating distant nets for all takers regardless of location. Turned out they weren't supposed to be doing that and they got into trouble. Not long after they started refusing (distant) nets based on zip codes, saying you have to receive offair or else get a waiver for not being able to receive a grade B signal offair. Well, too many were then given waivers or gave bogus physical addresses and they got into trouble again, and that's when they decided the answer was to build massive infrastructure for putting everybody's locals up on sat.

The main problem, as others here have noted, is that the locals were allowed to charge DiSH per sub (they could elect to do that OR say they must carry them, but they knew they could compel payment based on viewer demand. Then nothing said they couldn't simply demand whatever amounts, and keep raising demands unchecked. They should never have been allowed to charge in the first place. Now with streaming it will all change yet again.

Remember the signal tests no one did that you had to fax in to get them turned on?

Been away from this forum for a while, just getting caught up on this post. I feel your pain. Here in Boston, we are currently without satellite access to our ABC, FOX, CW affiliates as well as another prominent local channel. It has been years without access to the last two. The OTA solution provided by DISH is nice but has GUIDE issues and is more subject to weather.

I live in an area where I need to subscribe to some type of provider because not all channels have a good signal. Funny thing is we can receive channels from southern New Hampshire and/or Providence Rhode Island.

It does anger me that we are forced to pay for channels that are supposed to be free.

BUT I FEEL WE ARE COMPLAINING TO THE WRONG PEOPLE.

What if we bombarded the advertisers asking for their help to watch the programs, they are paying for us to see? Also, this an optimum tome to complain to the NFL and other sports league as well.

In addition, I am getting revved up to demand that Dish discount the rate for everyone in our area since we are not receiving the benefit of the Prime Time Anytime feature. Maybe we might suggest to the advertisers they deserve a discount as well.

I believe this approach will put pressure on the networks and our provider to come to some lasting conclusion that benefits the subscribers.

I was contemplating starting a post that might put the right pressure on the right parties. But, I don’t have the energy or time.

The right people to complain to are the TV station owners. Honestly, they are who make this kind of stuff happen.
When you complain to them, they play the blame game and blame Dish, DirectTV or whoever. Then they hold out to get the largest fee which in the end will cost you more for local programming.

Complaining to the advertisers, networks, and program providers like the NFL will get their attention more than the few complaints from individuals.

The right people to complain to are the TV station owners. Honestly, they are who make this kind of stuff happen.
Actually the right people to complain to is the FCC for allowing retransmission fees for free OTA feeds in the first place. Think about it, you have a TV station that wants to transmit it's signal to as many viewers as possible since adv fees are based on viewership. OK, along comes a company that says hey, we can carry your signal into all those homes that don't have an antenna thereby expanding you viewership. Wow, that's great but,,,,, you have to pay us a fee for each home. Say what, I have to pay you for providing you with an expanded market!? And the everloving FCC agreed. :rolleyes:

Dish cannot be providing and in my case even installing free OTA antennas for just a few issues. Does anyone have any idea how many local stations are in dispute with Dish? How many of them are on the FOX network? How many for more than a year?

In our area, in addition to the current FOX blackout there were blackouts on July 22, 2020 and November 28, 2022.

Actually the right people to complain to is the FCC for allowing retransmission fees for free OTA feeds in the first place. Think about it, you have a TV station that wants to transmit it's signal to as many viewers as possible since adv fees are based on viewership. OK, along comes a company that says hey, we can carry your signal into all those homes that don't have an antenna thereby expanding you viewership. Wow, that's great but,,,,, you have to pay us a fee for each home. Say what, I have to pay you for providing you with an expanded market!? And the everloving FCC agreed. :rolleyes:
I agree with you that this does not make sense. But, we can only get them to reconsider and or adjust their stance is by raising this issue to a higher level. Like how it affects not only the end consumer.

Who knows, perhaps some novice member of the House of Representatives in the right committee might want to make a name for themselves.

Dish cannot be providing and in my case even installing free OTA antennas for just a few issues. Does anyone have any idea how many local stations are in dispute with Dish? How many of them are on the FOX network? How many for more than a year?

In our area, in addition to the current FOX blackout there were blackouts on July 22, 2020 and November 28, 2022.
We install free antennas all the time. Just have to call and ask.

As far as disputes, every local affiliate is owned by different companies. So one company will own fox in one area but NBC in another plus a bunch of other non local stations. It just depends on contract negotiations between these different companies. Unfortunate for your area to have so many gone.

As far as channels being free ota, the only reason they have to broadcast is for emergency communications. No station is required to provide you free prime time programming or sports. If the local stations wanted to they could only broadcast news and emergency alerts and no other programming, but then they wouldn't make money.

It's always baffled me the amount if people that think they should get to watch all the shows for free just because it's being broadcast through a local station. Should consider yourself priveleged just to get them for free on ota.

As far as channels being free ota, the only reason they have to broadcast is for emergency communications. No station is required to provide you free prime time programming or sports. If the local stations wanted to they could only broadcast news and emergency alerts and no other programming, but then they wouldn't make money.

It's always baffled me the amount if people that think they should get to watch all the shows for free just because it's being broadcast through a local station. Should consider yourself priveleged just to get them for free on ota.
I don't believe your entirely accurate. I am old enough to remember the early days of TV. Small screen, black & white pictures in a big box.

The programing was all live, no recordings. But they were not an emergency broadcast box. The programing was limited. All the channels went off the air around midnight after playing the Star Spangled Banner. But even then they had commercials.

Well, the FCC licenses the public spectrum to them and we sit through commercials and advertisements.

I think we are getting off track the Hearst tv group action of itself is affecting 37 channels across the country. It seems to be affecting stations from all the networks.

What I am suggesting is that instead of a relatively few people from each area complain to the station and to their provider, that everyone, everywhere collaborate.

Complain to the advertisers who are being overcharged under these circumstances.

Complain to the sports leagues whose fans that may not be able to afford to pay for the premium coverage, cannot see their teams play.

Complain to the providers like Dish that we may deserve a discount for services not provided.

Complain to the FCC that their solution is not working.

Maybe with the bright minds on this form alone, we can generate enough attention. Imagine if some media were to mention it. The increase in participation on the forum. The snowball affect it might have.

Last edited: