Hey E* - PACK THESE UNITS BETTER !!!

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
*NOTE TO DISH NETWORK* I have now received two ViP622s. The first one arrived (from Dish Store) with the box "distressed" and all the accessories rattling around loose in the box. There was no apparent damage to the unit itself (but it was returned on a RA for no HDMI output).

The replacement unit arrived directly from E* with one corner of the box half torn-off, the styrofoam broken, and the left rear corner of the unit itself pushed-in somewhat !!! This *may* turn-out to be more than just cosmetic damage.

While I realize the shipping company (UPS in both of the above cases) bears some responsibility for rough handling, I believe that ultimately DISH NETWORK is responsible for packaging these units in a manner that will better sustain this routine kind of shipping damage !!!

PLEASE PROVIDE STURDIER PACKAGING or at least pack the boxed units in an outer box for added protection!

'nuff said...

Neutron said:
Let Claude know about your first one. He runs the Dishstore site.
Tks, Jason - I already did that. I think Claude is only following E*'s practice by reshipping in the same container he receives it in...

I had two deliveries from UPS that paints a pretty poor picture. One, the handling of packages is similar to the gorilla in the old Samsonite commercial. I observed one delivery where the package was dropped on the door step (This is the procedure for drop off?) as the UPS agent turned and ran back to his rig and the other where the package was soaking wet. Not damp but actually has water inside the package. Like everything else, the bigger the company gets the more lax they become. One can only imagine what takes place with the handling of packages at the distribution centers.

Yea Dish, I had to ship back my 522 last week, they sent a Pre Paid box for sending it back in. The box was way to big and the foam packing was fixed at a size was too tall.

There was NO WAY it would fit in the foam packing as it was too big, so I sent it back with it on top so it would rattle around and slide.

Dish just does not know how to ship things.

Seen hundreds of receivers shipped out to customers and return box's shipped as well as individual units shipped ups, fedx, and various overland frieght companies and rarely have seen any damage to the items inside the bo:mad:s) though the box itsself can be a diferent story. Dish is not at fault for what ever damage the package and its contents suffer while in the posesion of the shipper and its sub contractors. The two types of foam shipping brackets dish uses inside the box is very much adequate and sturdy enough that its not a problem to stack two pallets of receivers ontop of each other at a height of 10 ft. If a box arives on your doorstep damaged and its conents loose and or also damaged then you have an issue with the shipper.

Van said:
If a box arives on your doorstep damaged and its conents loose and or also damaged then you have an issue with the shipper.
Wrong its not a shipper problem it an echostar problem, if contents are loose that mean charlie didnt pack box properly
unless you think fedex, ups, dhl, and usps repack all the packages they recieve before sending them on to there destination

The foam inside my 211 box was so flexible that it had came apart from the receiver inside the box. Luckily, the 211 was not damaged. The software is a piece of junk, but the receiver is solid.

Yeah - I have had plenty of S&H experience in the past as a shipper (packer) and receiver, and also some experience with the transporting companies themselves (tho' I never worked directly for any of them). Sure, when something arrives damaged with an obvious crushed end or whatever, then a claim is pending and the transporting company will likely have to settle-up for the damage "they" caused. But when you read in any shipper's fine print, you'll see they claim they are not responsible for any damage caused in "routine" handling of "underprotected" merchandise; and thus the p*ssing match begins. The point is - both the transporter and the company that packaged the merchandise bear some responsibility. IMHO, the boxes that the 622s are packaged in are too thin and flimsy and will be more likely to provide poor protection to the receivers. And the packaging provides NO provisions for securing the accessories. You would think that the company that sends a unit that they value at $700 would spend a few extra bucks to protect it better...

My 622 arrived in perfect condition (no it didn't come from E*). It was double boxed, which is how they all should be packed.

NightRyder

bhelms said:
Tks, Jason - I already did that. I think Claude is only following E*'s practice by reshipping in the same container he receives it in...

Thats true, the way I have figured it if DISH Network ships out 622's in the origional packaging they should be good enough to ship to my customers this way.

However, I usually order the receivers on a pallet so they are "Fresh" when I get them from Dish. From there, I'll put on a UPS label and ship them to our customers so they are only going through the UPS system once.

I just got a replacement for a 3000 which is a 4900. They expect me to ship a 3000 back in a 4900 box? The receiver is bigger than the box I got the 4900 in. DISH CSR does not know what to do and says there is nothing she can do. I will NOT pay for a stupid 3000 receiver over this. This may be the final straw before going to Directv. What kind of a company pulls crap like this? This is some pretty poor management if you ask me. Surely they would know to store extra boxes or tell the customer that they do not need to return the older receiver in which they ran out of boxes for.

stone phillips420 said:
Wrong its not a shipper problem it an echostar problem, if contents are loose that mean charlie didnt pack box properly
unless you think fedex, ups, dhl, and usps repack all the packages they recieve before sending them on to there destination

Wrong again, it is a shipper problem when they damage a box and it comes open and they dont repack the box correctly. When a receiver is packed up the items inside are put in with the receiver in a specific way so that they dont bang around all over the place, dish just goes out of its way to send you damaged boxes and mess with your account because they like screwin with you is all.

Last edited:
Claude Greiner said:
Did anyone ever consider that the boxes and the foam inserts are specifically engineered so they can hold up during shipping?

Depends on who you ask on this thread, one poster would have you believe that the foam inserts and boxes are engineered to bring about the plague.

If ANY type of package is sealed from the factory (or using the same exact materials to ship as what came from the factory) regardless of what the product is or where it came from, then that manufacturer / company is responsible for the way that the product is packaged. If someone changes the packaging from what it was when it came from the company new or does not package the item well enough if it is a used item then that person could be held responsible. UPS/FEDEX/USPS policy is that they will not pay insurance on the item if it was not packaged properly. They ask for the item and the packaging that it came in after a claim is made. If they see that it was improperly packaged then they will tell you and you will receive NO insurance settlement even if UPS/FEDEX/USPS mishandled the package.

jerryez said:
The foam inside my 211 box was so flexible that it had came apart from the receiver inside the box. Luckily, the 211 was not damaged. The software is a piece of junk, but the receiver is solid.

I had the same problem with a 211 and a 921 I received from DishDepot.

They were both double-boxed and showed no signs of rough handling by UPS.

The foam packaging is definitely not holding the unit in place during shipment.

The box Dish sent me to return my 921 for credit definitely had better foam inserts that held the 921 solidly in place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts