Hey Joey Linking Experts!! This Should Have Been Simple. NOT!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rjfrandle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
So....I have a regular hopper (no sling built in) and one joey. I decided to add a joey. Tech comes, puts the splitter on the joey coax, hooks up new joey and it works fine. Ah....but now the other joey won't link. Hopper detects both joeys, but the one I already had says unlinked. The MoCA is good on all devices. Green with 4 bars. Swapped new joey with old joey, but old joey still won't link, but new one is fine. So even though it would be a huge coincidence that my old joey died the day he put a new one on the system, we replaced my old joey with a new one. So now I have 2 new joeys. Same thing....still won't link. Even tried to hook the old joey I had back up the same coax it was on without the splitter (in other words everything was back to the way it was before the tech came) and it still won't link. WTF. Went through all kinds of booting sequences and Client ID checks as read on this forum and nothing works. New joey connects instantly when disconnected and hooked back up. What kind of crazy crap is going on here. Is my hopper not able to support 2 joeys? And when a joey doesn't work, does it mess it up so it won't work even if it is the only one hooked up? This has me baffled. All I wanted was another joey. Any ideas? Tech now wants to come back and replace Hopper, but I still think it's something else.

The only thing that was done is a splitter put into the coax that runs to the Joey. I don't know how that could have screwed things up. But apparently it did.

I tried all the cord pulling, and powering down etc.... Yes the joey is detected by the hopper, but it says unlinked. So....yes hopper sees the joey, it just won't link.

Did you try selecting the Hopper in the Whole-Home menu from the Joey (Hint: Hit LEFT to select the Hopper.)

Yes we tried linking from the Joey by selecting the hopper. The progress bar comes up for a split second but doesn't do anything after that.

Have you considered that perhaps the problem is with the Hopper? It could be having internal issues. Remember, the Joeys are nothing more than dumb terminals. The heavy lifting comes from the Hopper.

So....I have a regular hopper (no sling built in) and one joey. I decided to add a joey. Tech comes, puts the splitter on the joey coax, hooks up new joey and it works fine. Ah....but now the other joey won't link. Hopper detects both joeys, but the one I already had says unlinked. The MoCA is good on all devices. Green with 4 bars. Swapped new joey with old joey, but old joey still won't link, but new one is fine. So even though it would be a huge coincidence that my old joey died the day he put a new one on the system, we replaced my old joey with a new one. So now I have 2 new joeys. Same thing....still won't link. Even tried to hook the old joey I had back up the same coax it was on without the splitter (in other words everything was back to the way it was before the tech came) and it still won't link. WTF. Went through all kinds of booting sequences and Client ID checks as read on this forum and nothing works. New joey connects instantly when disconnected and hooked back up. What kind of crazy crap is going on here. Is my hopper not able to support 2 joeys? And when a joey doesn't work, does it mess it up so it won't work even if it is the only one hooked up? This has me baffled. All I wanted was another joey. Any ideas? Tech now wants to come back and replace Hopper, but I still think it's something else.

I had a similar problem. Did a chat with tech support and they found some kind of authorization problem. The tech reauthorized everything and now both of my Joeys can easily and quickly link to either hopper. Took just a few minutes minutes total. Might be worth a try.

Yep, try reauth next.

If no joy: Swap out the splitter. Or, better yet, run a coax from node client to each Joey.

Whatever happens, please report back to share the knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts