HH120 + 1.2m Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvdxer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
I would like to go for the "Micro-BUD" thing (maybe just with Ku at first, though) as an upgrade from my little 80 cm dish. Actually, I have been planning on a larger dish from the start, so I bought an HH120 at the same time as my dish. Even though the HH120 is made to move dishes as large as 1.2m, the weight of the dishes often exceeds the specifications of the rotator, it seems.

How well do 1.2m's fare on the HH120? What are some good models?

The Patriot 1.2m is a very nice and sturdy dish but is too heavy for the HH120 as I have tried that mover. Sadouns site shows the Fortec 1.2 on an HH120 and I think Cascade has moved his with an SG2100 if I am not mistaken.

I am using HH120 and Fortec 120cm dish. I think HH120 is handling the 120cm dish much better than SG2100. I haven't had any problems with it yet whereas my SG2100 was strugling with it a little (not too much, but enough to make me worry and try out hh120).

Alas, I too am using the HH120 and the Fortec Star 1.2m. The motor does a good job at moving the dish back and fourth. It's a little slow returning from either extreme, although, thats to be expected with the weight it's moving.

The two most important things to keep in mind are:

1. Make sure your mounting pole is plumb. (I know this goes without saying, but I found that even just a little off makes a big difference.)

2. Make sure your mounting pole is solid. (Otherwise the weight will pull it out of plumb.)

Good Luck

TIP: When you move your dish from one satellite to another, try using a channel on a HORIZONTAL transponder. Or if you are in the positioner setup menu, use a Hor. transponder. The reason is that when you select the Hor transponder, the receiver sends 18-20 volts to the motor instead of 13-15V (for Vert. transponders). It will make the motor move 50-80% faster.

;)

Sadoun said:
TIP: When you move your dish from one satellite to another, try using a channel on a HORIZONTAL transponder. Or if you are in the positioner setup menu, use a Hor. transponder. The reason is that when you select the Hor transponder, the receiver sends 18-20 volts to the motor instead of 13-15V (for Vert. transponders). It will make the motor move 50-80% faster.

;)

hmmm..have to try that sometime

I wondered why it seems like ions to get from SBS6 to G10 but not back :)

Sadoun said:

;)

Great idea!

Okay, I'm of course going to do a pole install whether I put in a 1m or 1.2m - we have the post hole digger and stuff so it shouldn't be too hard. However, I need to know something essential -

How do you guys get it in there pefectly plumb?

Thanks!

We have been using and selling the Johnson Level magnetic angle finder for over 4 years. I would recommend it to any serious FTA hobbyist or installer. We even include it free of charge with every BIRDOG or SatHawk meter we sell.

It is made of high quality material and still MADE IN USA. I have seen and sold similar foreign made levels before. The quality is no where near close to the Johnson level. So we decided to drop those cheaper levels.

Here is a picture

I couldn't tell you for sure how to do that, but I heard of a very interesting suggestion here maybe a week back. Weld a plate on the top of the pole. Have another section of pole with a plate welded to it as well. Bolt the two sections together and where it is out of plumb just insert washers where needed. You could also use studs between the plates and jam nuts to adjust for plumb.

Sadoun said:

;)

Well I had a chance to try this last night and sure enough, (As I never doubted it), Sadoun is correct. By Selecting the Horizontal TP, The dish flew back so fast It came right off the pole!!!... Well, OK, not quite that fast, but none the less a great imporvment is dish movement. Thanks for the tip Sadoun.

Sadoun said:
We have been using and selling the Johnson Level magnetic angle finder for over 4 years. I would recommend it to any serious FTA hobbyist or installer. We even include it free of charge with every BIRDOG or SatHawk meter we sell.

It is made of high quality material and still MADE IN USA. I have seen and sold similar foreign made levels before. The quality is no where near close to the Johnson level. So we decided to drop those cheaper levels.

Here is a picture

I have that....I bought it from you a long time ago. Works very well.

Sadoun said:

;)

This is good to know... I just changed the way I move sats :)

Another TIP: On your channel lists for each satellite, make the 1st channel on the list a channel on a HORIZONTAL TP. That way, when you click on SAT on your remote and you want to move to a certain satellite, you can just select the 1st channel on that list and the motor will zoom to that satellite. :D

I have a fiberglass 1.2 meter Hughes Earth Station dish.
It came with a nice 6x6 foot portable support frame mount.
The lnb is tied into the internet hardware housing, to eliminate it,
the entire arm would need replacing. If I fabricate the arm, I think I'm still
over weight.

Is this a hopeless situation in regard to my weight, in using any 1.2
meter mover?

chelsea: I'm pretty sure fiberglass dishes are heavier than metal ones. If you're using an SG2100, it won't do it. I can vouch for that, becuase my SG2100 can't really manage my metal Patriot 1.2m. I've heard the STAB line of motors are a little tougher and can take more abuse, but most of us 1.2m dish users have started going old-school with actuators and polar mounts. Or would/will when the money's available... :rolleyes:

CharredPC said:
actuators and polar mounts.

I agree this would be a better solution. The issue with actuators is that you will need a positioner with a 24V or 36V power supply. The DiSEqC actuator hh mounts will not be strong enough.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts