Hi from MOOVlab Boston

stevegarfield

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Boston
Hi,
Just joined the forum and wanted to say hi.

I'm a video producer and editor working with MOOVlab Boston.

We're creating content for the VOOM's MOOV channel.

We've set up a weblog to tell you what we're up to.

It's at http://www.moovlabboston.com/

See you on the forum.
--Steve

Steve,

Welcome. It is good to have someone from MOOV-HD in here. MOOV is quite a channel that it is hard to define giving the content that it has. I have seen a few videos that I liked. Can you define for us what is MOOV? What is the final objective? How are customers supposed to watch this channel?

One of the problems that do not help MOOV is that there is no program description on the PG or in zap2it. Except for "Club Culture" there's no description of anything else. I know it is hard to put these in the PG because each one last two to five minutes but it will be good to have them somehow.

Steve, welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you here.
Thanks for the info.

Could you clarify for me and everyone else what is the relationship between Moovlab Boston and Moovlab Philadelphia. Are these just two offices of the same entity, or are you independent from each other? Just curios.

Ilya.

Hi stevegarfield and welcome!

Sean Mota said:
Steve,

How are customers supposed to watch this channel?

I just kind of sit back and take it in (and don't think about it much, it's nice to unwind to). I like it! However, I'm also prone to staring at Winamp visualization plugins, lava lamps, or anything that's shiny.
:D

Im sorry but the channel is worthless!!!! If this guy works there then he needs to know what the viewers think. The bandwidth should be used for a real HD channel as they become available. If I want a screen saver ill turn on the voom one.

I dont mean to be mean. But Voom needs content, compelling content to get subscribers and best utilize its bandwidth. Moov is something you add after you have subscribers, not while you are fighting for your survival.

I like Moov a lot...It's great for parties. It allows you to show off your set, but doesn't totally distract guests from enjoying the party and eachother. I think of it as a really cool screensaver for my HDTV :D

I like Moov. I turn it on and leave it on for several hours a day sometimes. If something catches my fancy while moving through the room, I sit down and watch it. It's a cool channel and another example of how the Voom exclusives have some really nice alternative programming.

I agree with ZeitGeist. The Voom exclusives have nice alternative programming, including MOOV.

Someday people could be asking D* and E*: "When are you going to carry the GALLERY HD and MOOV HD channels?" Voom is building a market niche for itself.

Moov is sort of good for background visuals. I'd like to see more aquarium stuff and quality computer animation.

Now Auction, THAT is a horrible waste of bandwidth.

In any case, I don't think it's fair to rag on these lab guys, as they don't make programming decision.

barth2k said:
Moov is sort of good for background visuals. I'd like to see more aquarium stuff and quality computer animation.

Now Auction, THAT is a horrible waste of bandwidth.

In any case, I don't think it's fair to rag on these lab guys, as they don't make programming decision.

Hey.... I like Auction too dammit! :bounce

I guess some people have more sophisticated tastes than others ;)

I'd like to see more aquarium stuff myself. Saw it once, was amazed. I could leave that on when I'm not watching anything. Always wanted an aquarium in house but have no room, now I can have a 63 incher. ;)

Gotta say...

Not sure why we have Moov, Auction or Ultra. Sure, I know what the channels are for but how about using the bandwidth for something we ALL can enjoy?

If you turn it on while you're doing housework are you REALLY enjoying it? Sure, it looks great. It's different. But is it really something we need to have taking up valuable bandwidth? If we already had everything we wanted in channels and had some extra bandwidth channels like Moov, Auction and Ultra would make sense. For now, I'd rather see the bandwidth used to add channels such as Discovery Science, SciFi Channel and the upcoming History Channel HD. These are channels I'd watch regularly, not while I'm cleaning the house.

If you want to demo your HD setup just turn on WorldSport or Rush. Both have excellent pq.

Sorry but I just don't get Moov.

The Rickster

What is MOOV?

Sean Mota said:
Can you define for us what is MOOV? What is the final objective?

I've been at MOOV for a month now. I can tell you that the definition of MOOV is is evolving. You can't define us by the past content of the channel, since new approaches are being developed. It's very exciting to be in the middle of all of this.

As for the final objective, I'll take a crack at it and say, "MOOV is a dynamic environment where the viewer can turn to and be suprised, challenged, entertained, or taken to another world"

Sean Mota said:
How are customers supposed to watch this channel?

After reading through the responses to your post, I think the viewers have answered this one.

Sean Mota said:
One of the problems that do not help MOOV is that there is no program description on the PG or in zap2it. Except for "Club Culture" there's no description of anything else. I know it is hard to put these in the PG because each one last two to five minutes but it will be good to have them somehow.

I'm not involved in the details of getting program descriptions on air, but I think that in time you'll see what you are asking for.

Disclaimer: My views are my own and don't represent the views of MOOVlab, MOOV or VOOM.

Look... turning Moov off isn't going to GAIN us anything. There isn't any channels to fill the space that Voom can just magically add. So let's work on making Moov better. I find it a bit too psychedelic for my tastes.

Steve,

I guess the concept of MOOV is hard for some of us to grasp because it is the first such channel. We did enjoy the 360 Mars Video shown on MOOV. There were others. Are there more video that will include panaromic views? The concept of the screen saver type of video is fine fro 5 minutes but it's hard to stay on the channel for more than 5 minutes (in my own opinion). The panaromic views of different places in the US and or the world are appealing and can stick you to the TV just to watch it. I am just thinking of the PBS-HD loop where it was shown incredible views of NJ, CT and other areas. I do not know if this goes against your concept of video art. I have seen for the example the panaromic view of the winter Moov was showing. Those videos interest me because I can appreciate the view and the awesome HD Picture Quality. What do you think?

Sean,

Steve has joined MOOV just a month ago, so I am not sure he is in position to answer all these questions...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)