Hi from MOOVlab Boston

Explosions: Mark Shot Those in LA

DarrellP said:
The Fireworks clip was awesome! I liked the Techno 1812 Overture and finally getting to see the "fireworks" (more like pyroworks) actually in sync with the cannon blasts and there was no macro blocking or breakup of any kind and this video was a true torture test for HD.

We were talking about the explosions piece in the studio and I was asking our Director of Photography, Mark, about it.

[ SPOILER ALERT ]

The secrets of filming this spot will be divulged in the next few paragraphs.

Don't read any further if you want the making of this piece to remain an HD TV mystery.

Otherwise, keep reading...

[ END SPOILER ALERT ]

Mark went out to a special effects house in LA and shot that footage. He said that he was on the floor, underneath a protective glass while shooting up towards the explosions.

That's what gives the video the effect of being in space, since the explosions are coming at you instead of falling down away from you.

Cool huh?

I love it when I look at video he's shot and can't figure out how he did it.

He also used the same technique when shooting that marbles piece. In that one it looks like the marbles are defying gravity, but in reality they are rolling around on a glass platform, with Mark shooting up from underneath.

MOOV Showcase Hour

Sean Mota said:
Not sure if it's going to be shown again but I am sure it will. We need a schedule for this channel for this purpose.

We are looking into putting together a Showcase Hour of your favorite MOOV pieces.

Please go over to this new thread, MOOV Showcase Hour: Your Favorites and tell us what your favorite MOOV pieces are.

Thanks,
--Steve

I really like Moov

I have MOOV on in the background all the time...though I often put my own music on. It's the only channel that doesn't distract me too much, but when it does catch my eye I'm usually in awe (fireworks, mars, fish...), its good to take a sec and relax to (all those psychedlic things...>), and some of those art videos are okay too...I like the funnier or more offbeat ones -...
It would be great if this channel got to be like having an ongoing contemporary art museum on my wall...without the damn narrator - there's so much cool stuff out there that I barely get to see, and that Gallery channel is damn boring - true art is way more alive than that. MORE ART! You can do it MOOV! GO GO GO!

Its good that Tank HD has improved peoples outlook of this channel. Tank during the day is a good idea. I am a big fan of this channel, and used to use it as backgrounds for parties, but have stopped because it no longer continues that content. It would be great if they brought back the visualizations, because they seem to go with whatever music you put on. Maybe not all visualizations, but art that would go well with parties. Not slow motion walk-thrus of stores. Don't get me wrong I think that those are cool, but don't seem to to work as background for parties. Hopefully we can see some more of this stuff, but that doesn't appear to be the way this channel is going.

HD Olympics Schedule is Up!

New England 300 Qualifying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)