Hi from MOOVlab Boston

cyuhnke said:
I have another suggestion. You know how the planetariums do "Laser Floyd"? MOOV should do "MOOV Floyd" or "MOOV Beatles." That would be awesome

So you'd like to see a laser light show that moves in time to the music?

That's an interesting idea...

stevegarfield said:

I hope MOOV will not become too distracting, though. It would be hard to watch it as a background if there were too much pulsation. No disco-style strobe lights please! I like it nice and slow. Very relaxing! ;)

stevegarfield said:

Wow! Real good feedback there taking the line out of context. The point was popular, known music set to swirly MOOV "stuff", not bass beat 2+new age loop 3 on the Casio keyboard set to swirly MOOV "stuff." But I'm guessing you knew my point.

You can always play music from your own collection along with the video (and it's surprising how often you might find it goes together). I've been doing this with cartoons and other stuff for years. I happen to like a lot of the techno/ambient stuff on Moov (and it's probably cheaper for them to do that than to pay broadcast and synch rights for well-known music), but if the music provided isn't your cup of tea you can also come up with some interesting combinations yourself (for example I've watched 'Cuba' while listening to Screeching Weasel, and it's pretty weird).

deeann said:
You can always play music from your own collection along with the video (and it's surprising how often you might find it goes together).
Funny you mention this deeann, the funniest thing I ever did was watch an old Zorro movie to the soundtrack of Oklahoma and it was uncanny how well the words matched the movie. I was LMAO it was so funny. Thanks for dredging up a great memory. ;)

I've tried the whole Dark Side of Oz thing, and it doesn't really match up well. Perhaps it is my level of lucidity when trying these things. :)

The thing we all seem to agree upon is MOOVs audio tracks are not very interesting. Even those of you who use it as a screen saver, a television based lava lamp, or at parties, don't you mute it? I sincerely suggested that the audio tracks be more recognizable, but the advice was unwanted.

I understand the difficulty of licensing. But that seems to be the defense for all the originals. That should tell us something.

DarrellP said:
Funny you mention this deeann, the funniest thing I ever did was watch an old Zorro movie to the soundtrack of Oklahoma and it was uncanny how well the words matched the movie. I was LMAO it was so funny. Thanks for dredging up a great memory. ;)

Ok- now *that* would be pretty interesting.

Last weekend I found out that listening to the Misfits while watching 'Night of the Demons' was fun.

cyuhnke said:
I sincerely suggested that the audio tracks be more recognizable, but the advice was unwanted.

I understand the difficulty of licensing. But that seems to be the defense for all the originals. That should tell us something.
Your advice wasn't unwanted.

In my reply to your earlier post I just wanted to clarify your request, not discount it.

You want to have popular music on MOOV, I get it.

I wrote this earlier in the thread that Moov sometimes reminds me of the days of going to the planetarium watching a laser light show set to pink Floyd or the who. Actually it would be a cool concept if you can do that on VOOM.

How about letting us display the MOOV video with a music channel audio? Give us the choice for the audio track from VOOM's available music channels (800's). That would be cool.

I'm getting to like Moov. I put it on sometimes as "background" and watch when something really interesting comes on.

I really liked the model railroad segment. I'm not sure why -- it just fascinated me. I guess it was like having a train set again to watch.

I would rather that MOOV feature the works of artists who create their own artistic visions without regard to poll results.

I know Voomers mean well when they ask for a certain pattern, or certain music, or certain speed of the images, but it's like the guy who asks an oil painter to paint with a certain color to match his wallpaper.

I am a musician myself. I prefer to leave artists alone to create. If you like what they do, watch. If you don't, change the channel. I applaud VOOM for giving these artists an outlet to exhibit their work.

1080iWannabe said:
I would rather that MOOV feature the works of artists who create their own artistic visions without regard to poll results.

I know Voomers mean well when they ask for a certain pattern, or certain music, or certain speed of the images, but it's like the guy who asks an oil painter to paint with a certain color to match his wallpaper.

I am a musician myself. I prefer to leave artists alone to create. If you like what they do, watch. If you don't, change the channel. I applaud VOOM for giving these artists an outlet to exhibit their work.
What? When it's your money, you're allowed to make suggestions to the "artist." "Change the channel" only applies to network television, when you're not paying for it directly, IMO. I'm all for the artistic expression, and since moov probably costs me $.50 a month, it's not that big a deal.

1080iWannabe said:

Yeah- I agree. When i watch Moov I want to see something new that *hasn't* been done/seen before, so I think you all should just keep on doing what you do. And even though sometimes I run different music I usually listen to whatever is in the video segment (actually, the idea of 'popular music' scares me a bit- it could be anything from Britney to ACDC- and no offense meant to either, but that's not what I think it's all about).

Anyways, Steve- are you sorry you popped on by to say 'Hi' yet? ;)

cyuhnke said:
What? When it's your money, you're allowed to make suggestions to the "artist." "Change the channel" only applies to network television, when you're not paying for it directly, IMO. I'm all for the artistic expression, and since moov probably costs me $.50 a month, it's not that big a deal.

I see your point, and I agree with you, especially if an artist accepts your money under those conditions. But it also can be a tacky thing to do if you are clueless about the medium. As a musician I get ridiculous requests all the time from nice people who have no idea what they are talking about. So when I see or hear art I like to believe it is purely a creation of personal inspiration, and I leave artistic judgment to the artist. Just my own view. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)