Hi from Twin Cities!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So moving on to better things uh :).

Got a 6' fortec dish installed, can't find 105W but working on it.

Looking forward to getting the programming package and have even ordered an actuator and controller to make that dish movable.

I believe I'm 'into' this already so guess it's time to buy myself one of those cool sat finders with the TFT screens. I'll start another post however.

Let me understand all this:

1. you no longer want to pay for tv, so you want fta
2. you want to continue to be able to pause tv, so you need a dvr/pvr
3. there is nothing available fta that you want to watch.

Which begs the question, why spend anything on fta equipment and a pvr if you're not interested in watching it?

Edit: Guess you think you'll find what you want on C band.

sprig74 said:

Which begs the question, why spend anything on fta equipment and a pvr if you're not interested in watching it?

Wow..... :-(

1: Yes, I like alternatives, always have, it's not only my hobby but it's what I believe in so that WE all have choices in life.
And, I never said I wasn't willing to pay, that's your take on it, for what ever reason. I said I was willing to pay for skyvision because those are the channels I DO like to watch. The rest of what I get on DTV is a waste of money plus all of the extra costs that boil down to paying good money for nothing. For example, I have the privilege of paying them $5/Month for each HD receiver, another $10/Month for HD service and some other things that are stupid.
I like paying for what I get, not throwing money out the window as I have with DTV.

2: Been using tivo for so many years, how could I possibly live without being able to pause live tv? Do you know anyone that could if they have the choice not to? Even FTA is filled with channels that are broadcasting open such as bio and history channel and there are commercials.

3: Right, it's interesting but it's far from TV that we're all used to. Hence, why I am signing up to Skyvision or if you prefer, programming-center's programming package.

4: As I have also said, I have an opportunity to tell more people about FTA and the Skyvision type programming. I believe that if I could help bring more people to this service, that it would help us all to have choices. More users equals more money which equals more buying power. Motorola walked away because users are leaving. I'm interested in finding ways to bring people back.

I'll spend some energy at it and see what happens. After all, IP TV is coming along quickly too which will also hurt this market so if I stand alone or get nothing but negative insinuations, I'm sure I'll just toss in the towel at some point. Til then, I'm much more interested in positive ideas, positive views, input and forward thinking thoughts.

Pretty silly that you've even insinuated that I'm interested in hacking as I've never once talked about any such thing. Only Pete kept talking about people who buy Sonicview devices are only doing it to hack. Sorry but those aren't the only one's, folks new to the hobby would also buy. Not everyone gives a crap to hack considering the points I've made, you'll still get crummy movies and tons of commercials. What's the point?

I can afford DTV or anything else I want, it's that I don't WANT to pay a monopoly.

Mike

Last edited:
SATire,

Welcome to the SatGuys forum! Most of us are here because we love playing with the technology, enjoy helping and learning from each other!

Enjoy the hobby and we look forward to discussing your successes and challenges!

Hi all-
I'm Mike's (SATire's) wife, and just wanted to say hello, and of course, have been hearing a bit of the ongoing thread. I signed up a week ago because beyond having to spend time as Mike's handy assistant - running wires, helping find angles and degrees, standing on ladders and watching signal meters go across the screen - my background is in the HughesNet/StarBand satellite side of the business and I figured I might learn a few things here from your users. I worked for a company that sold these services to rural people and I supported their email/web portal, but now we're no longer working for them and have direct agent agreements instead. While I know a fair amount about those systems, it wasn't something I had to directly sell, so now I'm trying to immerse myself in the pros and cons.

I wanted to add that having been married to Mike for well over 13 years now, I have watched him throw himself headfirst into tons of technology. The man has a crazy love for all things Internet and TV related, to the point that when the power does go off in our neighborhood, it's a bit shocking as to how quiet and still our house gets. You never notice the constant hum until it's gone. Personally, I have less love for TV and it took some convincing to get the 6 foot dish planted in our backyard. But it's there, and here we go on another TV adventure.

I'm enjoying the FTA dish that we have right now and while I'm not the TV fan that Mike is, I get a kick out of watching Brian Williams getting his makeup touched up and cutting news promos, as well as watching news anchors fidget and play with their hair before going live. Iranian rock music videos - wow! How weird is that to see? The Supreme Leader Channel with subtitles in every language? Also wow. But as Mike said, we are used to the power of pausing live TV. I have had to run up our stairs several times when Mike sees something cool only to find I've missed it as there is no rewind.

As to hacking, we're really not into that at all. We've spent too many years trying to keep hackers off our computer networks and dealt with the after-effects of hacked customer websites, email viruses and poorly designed software installed by users on systems we support. Besides, who would want to be thrown in jail or fined over TV?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to finding out how the big dish works. I've been learning so much just by osmosis from all of the conversations the last few months with the folks that have been to our house and the people we've talked to on the phone. You all are a knowledgeable bunch - thanks for sharing what you know!
-Kelly

welcome :wave to Satellteguys!

I'm enjoying the FTA dish that we have right now and while I'm not the TV fan that Mike is, I get a kick out of watching Brian Williams getting his makeup touched up and cutting news promos, as well as watching news anchors fidget and play with their hair before going live. Iranian rock music videos - wow! How weird is that to see? The Supreme Leader Channel with subtitles in every language?
[
thats some of the stuff that makes FTA great :)

SATire,

Welcome to the SatGuys forum! Most of us are here because we love playing with the technology, enjoy helping and learning from each other!

Enjoy the hobby and we look forward to discussing your successes and challenges!

exactly! Very well put SatelliteAV!

SATire,

Thank you kindly.

As with any new technology, to the end user at least, it has its ups and downs. I hope I can contribute something in the future.

Mike

sprig I dont know what your issue is? If you're here to stir up stuff, well then I suggest you find somewhere else to go. It wont be tolerated here

As noted this thread was done about 3 weeks ago. You jumped in and brought stuff up about what happened somewhere else. You see unlike other places we dont judge people by the equipment they use or better yet make fun of the equipment they have just because its not a model "approved" (sold) by the mod. We welcome all makes/models of equipment here. That is how you LEARN about the equipment. You find the strengths and weaknesses of the equipment and not based everything on "what I sell rocks and everything else sucks" no matter what a mod will tell you.
There are lots of good satellite equipment out there and I implore you to try some of it. If it doesnt work to how you like it, then sell it :)

If someone posts about trying to pick up stuff with a smaller dish, we dont jump down their throat and grill them in posts and PM's on what they're trying to do. We try to help them and explain that you would need different equipment. The exception is when they do post out everything they are trying to do and you obviously can read that its stealing. We're not paranoid here. We pretty much all get a long and love to help out the new folks learn about free to air. Free to air has received a bad rap as of late due to the stealing portion of it and being called "free to air" so when new folks inquire about the REAL free to air they may have conflicting info. Helping them learn instead of grilling them is what makes us great :)

I've read the Op's posts and he is looking for an alternative to Directv. Nothing wrong with that. Again some people like to read into it and make assumptions.

So if you're here just to stir up trouble, as noted at the beginning of my post, I suggest you go elsewhere.

hello SATire and klewis,
welcome to satguys!!
waving.gif

I'd like to add my "WELCOME" also.

I only get to read the forum every couple of days now, since work has me traveling more than normal, so I am late posting this.

My ears perked up when I read that you are near White Bear. When I was much younger I had a Very Special Lady that lived in Chisago City (did I spell that right?) and I would spend one of every three months there. She had relatives in White Bear Lake, Center City and Linstrum, so I got to know the area pretty well.

I don't want to get you upset about having room for more dishes, but I have posted pictures in several threads here, but I have 2 1/2 acres in North West Arizona, and currently have three "C" Band dishes up, five KU dishes up and running, four working and in use receivers in two locations in the house, and two or three more dishes on the ground waiting to be planted.

I lived in an apartment building in Southern California before moving here, and had three KU dishes up (with the owners permission), that was how and when I started my quest in FTA, about eight years ago, and have been hooked ever since.

I only mention any of this because I too, like you, dove into FTA in a big way when I discovered it.

Again, welcome to the forum, and have fun with what you have and will have in the future. It isn't a hobby, it's an addiction. :)

Photto

>to the point that when the power does go off in our neighborhood, it's a bit >shocking as to how quiet and still our house gets

Until the generator kicks in that is. Then all we hear is the sound of many UPS devices going beep beep beep hehe.

>Again, welcome to the forum, and have fun with what you have and will
>have in the future. It isn't a hobby, it's an addiction. :)

Hi and you're right, almost all things start as a hobby, turn into an addiction because they are interesting, and eventually, we all end up with big piles of left over parts and pieces of everything we've ever tried hehe.

I'm only a couple months into this and have multiple receivers, two dishes, about to put a third up, etc etc. Mind you, I won't be going full on nuts because my main addiction is Internet based communications which I believe is where all TV is heading.

Which brings me to a question... which I'll post as a new topic.

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)