JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Seems that at comparable times in their life High Def DVD is beating out DVD:

Advertisement

Interesting excerpt:

On the heels of Warner Bros. Entertainment’s beginning of 2008 announcement about dropping its HD DVD support, Blu-ray set-tops dominated 90% of all high-def hardware unit sales for the week ended Jan. 12, according to the NPD Group. HD DVD set-tops represented 7% and dual-format players totaled 3% of sales during that seven-day frame.

And just before everyone jumps out about the BD standalone with HDTV sales -- not that many HDTVs were purchased that week.

Joe, I love the selective quoting. You neglected to mention how the article mentioned that it was the whole format war that lowered prices in the first place thus leading to better than normal early adoption.

And just before everyone jumps out about the BD standalone with HDTV sales -- not that many HDTVs were purchased that week.

The same article you quoted seems to think these deals are a key reason for BD's sales dominance...

Additionally, retailers have begun bundling free BD players with the purchase of like-branded high-def 1080p TV sets. Such promotions were started in earnest during the fourth quarter and continue into 2008. The deals are thought to be a key reason for BD’s sales dominance over HD DVD early this year.

The same article you quoted seems to think these deals are a key reason for BD's sales dominance...
JoeSP will not respond to your post, he never does. All he does is make these stupid post/threads with selective wording hoping to stir up emotions. He will never address the flaws in any of his posts, thats his pattern.

The BDA already penciled in an unprecedented jump in disc sales next year: from 5.6 million to 40 million - more than 7 (seven!) fold increase
CES: Blu-ray growth forecast healthy - 1/8/2008 - Video Business
while increasing revenue about 6 times: from $170 million to $1 billion (average disc price will drop from around $30 to $25).

The best year for DVD was 1999 - trippling disc sales: DVD Entertainment Group

How good the BDA is in predicting 1-2 years in advance can be seen from the attached Blu-ray Today brochure released exactly one year ago:
by now only in the US the number of PS3 sold was suppose to be 4.5 million units and 10 million were forecast to be sold in 2008.
Today's prediction for PS3 sales in 2008 is only 4 million. And this after dropping PS3's price almost in half.

Remarkable and very trustworthy prediction track record, isn't it... :)

And even if this and more long-term predictions are true, BD will be just 10% of the optical media movie market by 2010.

Diogen.

Attachments

• blu3.jpg
    blu3.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 230
Joe, I love the selective quoting. You neglected to mention how the article mentioned that it was the whole format war that lowered prices in the first place thus leading to better than normal early adoption.

My point in this post was not about price or about BD and HD-DVD but about HDM disc sales exceeding DVD disc sales at the same timespan in their respective life in the marketplace.

Most folks doubt that a HDM disc product can overcome DVD but if these numbers are true then a HDM disc product can overcome DVD and replace it in time. This was the purpose of my post. Nice of you to try and redirect its purpose though!:rolleyes:

Not to dis Nonrev -- I run a business for a living and I usually do not get on this forum until around 10pm so I am not ignoring anybody. Once again, I did not post this to debate how BD has overcome HD-DVD which is a very moot point now isn't it. You are not going to change Warner's mind and HD-DVD just like Toshiba is not going to throw in the towel unless the BDA gives them a piece of the pie. To Toshiba they are going to ride their old tech DVD to the grave - unless their stockholders tell them differant.

I want to thank Diogen for his post. He is the only one who paid attention to what I was trying to discuss and that is the HDM discs is currently ahead of DVD if you look at the same time periods of them being on the market.

BTW, Diogen, the PS3 is no longer on life support and it seems as if Sony has not only reduced the manufacturing to $400 but with their lastest announcements of a smaller blu laser assy and going to 45n on the Cell that Sony is primed to start making money on the PS3 this year. And that is ahead of schedule.

As for comparing BD sales to DVD sales day to day DVD is definately blowing away BD as it should as it is the older format. But then again, back in 1972 when Toyota first started selling nationwide GM, Ford, and Chrysler all laughed at Toyota first few years of numbers against the big three. Guess they are not laughing at all anymore -- are they? It is up to the CE manufacturers to bring out players that are fully functioning under $300 and up to the studios to get the prices of BD movies down close to $20. See that happen and I believe that BD sales in both players and discs sales will increase greatly.

To Toshiba they are going to ride their old tech DVD to the grave...
It is not their grave. Sony has a place there, too.
DVD's ride might be much longer than BD's.
...the PS3 is no longer on life support
I didn't say it is.
BD as a format is. Or they wouldn't be giving away the players for free with select HDTVs.
BDA needs players in customers homes. Then they can start thinking about making them buy movies.
PS3 as a "trojan horse" was suppose to deliver this. It didn't. Projections for this year are cut but 60%.
Is this what you call success?
and it seems as if Sony has not only reduced the manufacturing to $400 but with their lastest announcements
of a smaller blu laser assy and going to 45n on the Cell that Sony is primed to start making money...
Sony is breaking even (if you believe them) on manufacturing.
This was exactly what Toshiba was saying about their $150 players.
Marketting, distribution, BOGOs, incentives, replication for other studios, advertising, etc. is not included.
And they would need a lot of this for years to come... Especially if they plan to buy Uni's Para's, Dream's and Toshiba loyalty...
...back in 1972 when Toyota first started selling nationwide GM, Ford, and Chrysler all laughed at Toyota...
A car is a car is a car.
If you believe BD will be given a 30+ year time frame to take a shot at DVD supremacy - you are dreaming.
They have 3 years at best. Maybe not even that...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)