High def vs standard def preference

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lpickup

Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
First of all: my apologies. I am certain this has been answered (but I was not able to find it), and I'm a first time poster...so flame away!

However, my question is this: for some reason, Dish only carried some of my locals in HD, but that has now changed and finally the networks I actually watch are available in HD.

I've noticed my existing timers are set to fire on the SD channels. At one time I recall (maybe it was on a tech chat?) seeing some kind of menu choice that indicated whether to prefer recording in HD or SD. But I can't find anything like that. Is my memory faulty? Do I need to delete my existing timers and recreate them to get them to fire on the HD channel?

Thanks,

...Lance Pickup

No, your recollection is correct.

Check over in the "HD Locals" area of the 622 setup. The same screens where you add your OTA channels.

Thanks! I do see that. It appears to be a setting for guide display rather than timers, but I thought I would give it a shot. I changed from my current setting (SD and HD) to HD Priority and a Confirmation 737 window came up that says:

You will lose timers on local or DishHD channels.
Do you really want to change channel display?

Yes Cancel No

So, do I? It sounds like I don't want to make this change. What I was looking for was to do something like this but have it automatically move my timers over rather than delete them. Comments?

...Lance

Thanks! I do see that. It appears to be a setting for guide display rather than timers, but I thought I would give it a shot. I changed from my current setting (SD and HD) to HD Priority and a Confirmation 737 window came up that says:

You will lose timers on local or DishHD channels.
Do you really want to change channel display?

Yes Cancel No

So, do I? It sounds like I don't want to make this change. What I was looking for was to do something like this but have it automatically move my timers over rather than delete them. Comments?

...Lance

You may lose timers. It eliminates seeing both the HD and SD channels in your guide in the 2-69 range. But you may want to do it anyway.

There is a seperate indicator in your timers under options saying set resolution. You want your timers to either say HD preference or HD only.

Yes, that is exactly what I want. Unfortunately I only see that option for a DishPASS timer I have set. Does that option only come up for DishPASS timers? Or is it related to the fact that my Guide Display preference is currently set to HD and SD?

I'm beginning to think that I may be out of luck because the timers I set were really on the SD channel #, and even though the guide can morph the real 6xxx channel numbers for the HD channels to their convenient position on the guide, the fact is those channels REALLY aren't there. I was hoping that the timers could likewise morph themselves to the HD channel if it existed and my preference was set that way.

...Lance

You may lose timers. It eliminates seeing both the HD and SD channels in your guide in the 2-69 range. But you may want to do it anyway.

I did make this change and the timers themselves did not disappear, but it appears that the events that would have been triggered by the timers were removed. So this wasn't altogether bad as I was able to go through my timers and recreate them fairly easily.

...Lance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)