Hiring sources

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I am trying to hire a "customer service clerk" to work for me alongside the current clerk. I want a "mature" person. IOW, no eye candy that the mechs are going to find reason to hang around the office to gawk at. Plus, someone accustomed to office work and that is accustomed to actually showing up for work.

I've used a senior employment service organization, to mixed results. One of the people was previously an executive secretary, and decided that she really couldn't stoop to such a low level, even for the last few years before retirement. One that I actually hired decided after 2 days she couldn't take the stress. Stress? She sorted and filed and was given a job to reconcile lists. We're moving into new offices and that is rather hectic, but that's a self correcting problem.

The senior place charges a very low fee. The temp agency we've dealt with charges an exorbitant fee. Some placement agencies fall in between.

It's one job, relatively low level, paying roughly twice the minimum wage. I can't take the time to deal with a hundred applicants, so I need to be low key in spreading the word.

Any ideas on other sources? I've networked, but mostly turned up rather more capable people that would not be interested in the job.

Need to hire fast.

Well here is a start and as the old saying goes " meet a nice girl at church ". Family is very risky so I wouldn't consider it unless its a second cousin 29 times removed. Friends is also a bit of a risk but I think that as long as you let them know that it's boss first and second and third and friends outside of the workplace then you should be fine. I'd nominate myself considering that I have some decent to solid experience with working as a shipping clerk dealing with driver's and proprietary software as well as win2k and office 2k products but a 3 hr drive would be a bit rough from VB.

You could make it a point to drop a note at the counselors office over at the local community college and try the department of labor as well or you can bite the bullet and post an add and go the route of face to face interviews as opposed to relying on an agency which you have already seen the results of their screening process.

Another idea would be check with some of the local charities that have work programs that help people get back into work if they've been out of it for a long time or into new career paths. I wouldn't discount this idea just yet as there are allot of people out there now going routes like this who's industries have shut down all together. You could also check with what ever military wives organizations are in your area as there may very well be military wives that are skilled to do the work.

I am trying to hire a "customer service clerk" to work for me alongside the current clerk. I want a "mature" person. IOW, no eye candy that the mechs are going to find reason to hang around the office to gawk at. Plus, someone accustomed to office work and that is accustomed to actually showing up for work.
:( :( :(

That's all I have to say...wish I could be more helpful, but my only idea would be an employee/temp agency.

That can be easily nipped in the bud with a human resources sponsored sexual harassment seminar for all employee's. We had an hour long video and training course on various types of harassment at Walmart a few months ago and you'd be surprised how much of it they tied into being sexually oriented, needless to say right after this there was a definite change in how everyone treated everyone else and all kinds of joking and kidding around stopped right away.

Well here is a start and as the old saying goes " meet a nice girl at church ". Family is very risky so I wouldn't consider it unless its a second cousin 29 times removed. Friends is also a bit of a risk but I think that as long as you let them know that it's boss first and second and third and friends outside of the workplace then you should be fine. I'd nominate myself considering that I have some decent to solid experience with working as a shipping clerk dealing with driver's and proprietary software as well as win2k and office 2k products but a 3 hr drive would be a bit rough from VB.

You could make it a point to drop a note at the counselors office over at the local community college and try the department of labor as well or you can bite the bullet and post an add and go the route of face to face interviews as opposed to relying on an agency which you have already seen the results of their screening process.

I did the hiring process low key, because there are employees here that want me to hire their daughter/sister/etc. Absolutely not. This company has had bad experience hiring relatives. Nepotism is out.

"Friends" would be an absolute last resort.

You might have something about a CC, although we'd have to express an interest solely in older applicants. But the job really doesn't require anything more than HS.

The temp agency tends to have younger people, and maybe not as trustworthy as we desire.

Got to consider all this carefully over the weekend.

Another idea would be check with some of the local charities that have work programs that help people get back into work if they've been out of it for a long time or into new career paths. I wouldn't discount this idea just yet as there are a lot of people out there now going routes like this who's industries have shut down all together. You could also check with what ever military wives organizations are in your area as there may very well be military wives that are skilled to do the work.

Actually, I've won an award for my work hiring the handicapped. That might well be a good approach, but they will have to be able to do some carrying.

I'm embarrassed that I did not consider the wives club option. Certainly worth pursuing.

That can be easily nipped in the bud with a human resources sponsored sexual harassment seminar for all employee's. We had an hour long video and training course on various types of harassment at Walmart a few months ago and you'd be surprised how much of it they tied into being sexually oriented, needless to say right after this there was a definite change in how everyone treated everyone else and all kinds of joking and kidding around stopped right away.

We're a small company of 60 some employees, just over half of which work out of the central office. I am human resources. Never get approval to get them together for this. They'd turn it into a laugh fest.

However, you do remind me of when we had a stand-down on Guam over a few days for just this purpose. Over lunch on the first day, a Chief commented to a woman eating a hot dog. He said he wished it was him. XO was informed, and said "I love a volunteer." The CPO was off the island the next day. Career was over. Word got around between lunch and supper about what had happened, and what was gonna happen, and it had a Real Sobering effect on everybody for the remainder of the training.

Thanks to all for the help so far.

You could also consider the P/T route for the wives club for those who have kids by offering P/T morning and then contact the local high school for the afternoon for students with B+ and above grade averages that are able to work on school work program to come in the afternoon to work and earn some money and learn something. I can already see your concern here but it is an idea to consider.

Another idea to combat the googly eyes is to put the assistants office further back or even put her desk in your office, then again maybe you wouldn't be getting any work done either.:D

Attachments

• secretary.jpg
    secretary.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 104
Actually, all three of us will work in the same office. Both of my assistants, and sometimes even I, will work the employee customer service window (usually payroll concerns).

I think we can all see several problems with hiring HS kids.

I'm willing to accept some PT if need be, preferably 30 hrs/week. At this point, I'd consider a LOT. Next week, instead of organizing my office and getting new procedures set, I'll be dealing with hiring, and punch lists.

I wish I lived in VA. I would so be there for you. I've been looking for a job like what you have for almost two years, but with two kids to put in daycare, I have to make so much for it to work out.

Yep, that would be tough. Housing costs around here aren't cheap. But what I'm offering is the going rate. It seems there are a lot of people able to work at such rates, due to other income- generally a spouse raking it in.

I keep thinking of the high rates the temp agency wants to pre-screen and provide applicants. Can't be justified, based on the types they've sent us in the past for short term work.

But I might have to abandon my idea of hiring over 50 exclusively. Drop to 40, maybe 30.

Any car dealerships closing in your area? You might find some competent, well experienced office types there that earned about the same wage and will be needing a job soon...

Good idea, now that GM is filing its leaving even more dealerships in a bind so you could easily head to a dealership you have dealings with and drop a card with the secretary.

Springfield, VA- Fairfax County. Commuting distance to DC.

People commute here from Fredericksburg, but that would be about the limit.

If you think this is possible, PM me soon and we can pursue.

Last night I visited a couple more neighbors, 3 total to date. Although the first guy was going to bring it up at church. I guess I shoulda told him about all the cursing that goes on in the shop.......

It's to far for her but I will keep my ears open.

Cursing is a hard one to stop, walmart hasnt stopped it yet.

Navy,
Damn only if We lived in Va.. My wife does that kind of work and loves it.. Well good luck with your hiring search.. I hope all turns out well for you... :)

Well, a strange thing happened. One of my neighbors, who has had her hours cut, is applying for the position. Directly across the street. Introduced herself, when I did not recognize the name, as "Isaac's mom." Apparently they live with her mother, hence I did not know her name.

So who's Isaac? ;)

Another applicant, who I almost hired on the spot, turned out to have transportation problems. She uses the bus. The closest bus stop is half a mile away. I can see problems coming with snow and rain. Something else didn't seem quite right, but we couldn't put our finger on it. But everyone she spoke with just had an odd feeling about her.

SNAGGED ONE!

And guess what? She's the one I mentioned above - lives directly across the street from me.

My passing out business cards in the neighborhood paid off. One got passed to her, and she called. I brought a job application home with me, she filled it out and passed me her resume, and we chatted. She'll stop by the office tomorrow for a grip & grin, and either start Wednesday or Monday. She has done office work in the past, and built steel furniture (welding, bending etc). So she knows at least some of the terminology. As I've heard again and again, her current employer was cutting hours severely.

Looks like it'll be a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts