Hit record in middle of program and the entire episode recorded

No, for the third time, it'll record from the beginning of the show or the beginning of the buffer, whichever is later. All DVRs work like that, because people don't keep pieces of shows. When they hit record in the middle its usually because they want to keep the whole thing.

I seriously don't understand why you have an issue with this.

So much wrong, so little time... Daretobe (lmfao) is asking the correct question, because all DVR's do not work like that, for instance the Dish VIP receivers do indeed record from the spot you push record if you desire. In fact it's the default at least on the 612, if you don't pick options it will record from where you pushed record. And I use that the most because people do want to record only a section very often.

No, for the third time, it'll record from the beginning of the show or the beginning of the buffer, whichever is later. All DVRs work like that, because people don't keep pieces of shows. When they hit record in the middle its usually because they want to keep the whole thing.

As others have stated...that is totally wrong. My 722K does NOT work like that. It does work the way that dare2be, 2haloODST, and Tampa8 described it.

Ok, I'm gonna bump this thread and see if I can get a clear picture of this issue. Several months ago, I finally upgraded from my 722 to a Hopper 3. When I press the record button, and I've been on the channel since the start of the program or movie and I'm only 20 minutes into whatever is, I only get from that point where I pressed record until the end of the program. I don't get the previous 20 minutes that I've been watching.

So, from what I gathered from reading this entire thread, if I rewind to the beginning of the buffer and then press record, I'll get the entire program? Seems klunky compared with the 722, which presented options.

Would appreciate someone confirming or clarifying my presumption if I have it wrong...Thanks!

So, from what I gathered from reading this entire thread, if I rewind to the beginning of the buffer and then press record, I'll get the entire program?
I just tested this on a Hopper 3 (H339) and yes, this is true. But you have to be a bit careful how far back you rewind -- if you rewind into the previous program you may only get that (previous) program if you hit record or it will only create a timer for that previous program's next showing. It's bizarre. Be sure you are into the target program (as defined by the guide) before recording. (I saw some weirdness doing this testing. But honestly, the Hopper 3 / Joey 3 combo is a bit weird and unpredictable at times. :))

NOTE: Another thing to keep in mind . . . as we all know, a program may not start exactly when Dish says it does in the guide. It can be off by minutes sometimes.

(BTW, thanks for bringing up this subject again. :thumbup )

Last edited:
Ok, I'm gonna bump this thread and see if I can get a clear picture of this issue. Several months ago, I finally upgraded from my 722 to a Hopper 3. When I press the record button, and I've been on the channel since the start of the program or movie and I'm only 20 minutes into whatever is, I only get from that point where I pressed record until the end of the program. I don't get the previous 20 minutes that I've been watching.

So, from what I gathered from reading this entire thread, if I rewind to the beginning of the buffer and then press record, I'll get the entire program? Seems klunky compared with the 722, which presented options.

Would appreciate someone confirming or clarifying my presumption if I have it wrong...Thanks!
Once upon a time hitting Record at any point in the program and, depending on how far along the show was, it recorded everything from the beginning. It no longer does that. Yes, rewinding to the beginning and hitting Record will work however the Jump Ahead/Jump Back buttons no longer work right either. Hit the Jump Back and it says 10 secs but it actually jumps 30 secs (I've timed it many times). Hitting the Jump Ahead is even worse. Sometimes it jumps back, sometimes ahead, and sometimes it jumps right to live TV with no rhyme or reason so just trying to rewind to the beginning has become problematic. The software is getting progressively (regressively?) worse with every recent iteration. Might be time to clean house and hire some new programmers. :rolleyes:

I just tested this on a Hopper 3 (H339) and yes, this is true. But you have to be a bit careful how far back you rewind -- if you rewind into the previous program you may only get that (previous) program if you hit record. Be sure you are into the target program before recording. (I saw some weirdness doing this testing. But honestly, the Hopper 3 / Joey 3 combo is a bit weird and unpredictable at times. :))

NOTE: Another thing to keep in mind . . . as we all know, a program may not start exactly when Dish says it does in the guide. It can be off by minutes sometimes.

(BTW, thanks for bringing up this subject again. :thumbup )
I tested it this afternoon as well and what a pain in the butt! I rewound to the beginning of the program, thankfully it stopped at the beginning of the program rather than going into the program that was on previously (so a little help there), I then pressed record and got the standard message that it was recording. I then pressed stop to go back to live tv (as is my lazy way of getting there) and up pops a screen asking me if I wanted to Stop the recording or Don't Stop, with Stop as the default action highlighted (dumb default). I didn't want to stop it, so I selected Don't Stop and then I pressed the Live TV button. Ok, fine, it went with my default timer settings and went to 1 minute after the program ended (just in case it may do what you said, not start exactly when it says in the Dish guide).

Here's my question: in the Hopper 3 settings screen, why don't they put in a section on how we want the record button to behave and then put the 3 options (or something like them) from the 722 so that we can set it to record the entire program by default, or record from the point you press record, or record until manually stopped?

I sure as heck use it!

Glad to wake up the thread and thanks for the reply! :)

@long_time_DNC
@Radioguy41

I hear ya. I have several complaints about how the Hopper 3's "jump ahead 30 sec", "jump back 10 sec", FF and rewind work. Those four functions are OK most of the time but sometimes they just go berserk. I hesitate to list my complaints, mostly because my complaints have already been made by others and are imbedded in other threads.

Last edited:
@long_time_DNC
@Radioguy41

I hear ya. I have several complaints about how the Hopper 3's "jump ahead 30 sec", "jump back 10 sec", FF and rewind work. Those four functions are OK most of the time but sometimes they just go berserk. I hesitate to list my complaints, mostly because my complaints have already been made by others and are imbedded in other threads.
Yep, but the jump ahead 30, back 10 is something I use, but if I want to back more than a minute or two, I just use the 15x rewind. It's easier. Haven't had the jump ahead or back go wonky though, and RW/FF seem to work just fine too.

It's the currently-viewing record function that really needs a fix. Having to rewind the buffer to the beginning and then pressing record to get what's in the buffer, man, that's just a kluge if ever there was one. Harkens back to cassette tapes!

I think the skip ahead idiosyncrasy only happens when trying to skip over a commercial Dish inserted.
I know that's true. But I also see skipping back and forth as very problematic when viewing a program that you are currently recording. I jump back 30 secs and it stays there for a few seconds then jumps, by itself, to the (current) end of the show. It's just weird. Usable but weird.

Reactions: TheKrell
Skipping with digital video is very difficult to pin down because many parts of a video frame may be repeats of the previous frames pixels and not in the data stream but replicated in the receiver. So moving a specified amount of data forward or backward is never precise probably never accurate and always speculative which the digital format finds almost impossible to deal with. Intensive digital processing can improve the accuracy of a 10 second jump or a 30 second jump but it will necessarily slow down the process until it is unsatisfactorily delayed.

Each digital scene is made up of the initial frame which contains all the data for that frame then the changes that occur from that first frame to a variable number of secondary frames make minor corrections (seen as movement) until the changes become so great that the encoder must re-issue a new initial frame and so on ad infinitum. Static scenes therefore require very little data to assemble and maintain whereas scenes with a lot of motion or color change require gobbs of data , try finding a 10 second jump in either one of those without some serious computing power.

Skipping with digital video is very difficult . . .
You got that right. I quit trying to skip back and forth while listening to SiriusXM channels. It's too frustrating. And rewind and FF is even more difficult with the music channels.

While I'm complaining, here's an unrelated weirdness. When I stop viewing something that I've recorded and go back to resume, it is NEVER at the same place I stopped it. It is ALWAYS 30+ seconds in the future. Since I know this, I just (automatically now) jump back 2-3 times and, voila, there is where I stopped viewing.

Last edited:
I agree that the default action for pressing the record button should be to record the whole program you are currently in, or as much of the program that is in the buffer. While sometimes I press record just so I can watch the rest of a program later, with no intention of keeping it permanently, it still would seem appropriate to record the entire program/buffer, if possible.

Last edited:
It all depends if the entire buffer is still there and the program is less than 1 hour long. If you switched at any time during the show, before you hit record, the buffer is cleared and no-joy on the full recording. I do it all the time but must remember if I was surfing beforehand.

Just to balance my complaints . . .

The Hopper 3 / Joey 3 combo is a much, much better viewing/recording experience than my old MPEG2 box -- I wouldn't want to go back, even with the new problems introduced. :thumbup :)
Oh, I definitely agree, but the record button issue is really a pain. Having to RW to the beginning of the buffer and then pressing record to get the entire program/movie is just...dumb. And it could be fixed fairly easily with a screen in the settings menu, as I outlined in post #26.
It all depends if the entire buffer is still there and the program is less than 1 hour long. If you switched at any time during the show, before you hit record, the buffer is cleared and no-joy on the full recording. I do it all the time but must remember if I was surfing beforehand.
I think any of us who have been using a Dish DVR for a while know that if you change the channel (even accidentally, which I've done myself, more than once), the buffer of what you were watching is toast. It's the lunacy of having to RW to the beginning of the buffer of what you want to record (assuming it's all there and you haven't waited past 60 minutes to press record) that gets me. I agree with BarnRat, the default should be to record the whole program (or whatever is in the buffer) when you press record, by default. That would at least make a little more sense, since that's what I used do 90+% of the time with my 722, I'd select the option to record the entire event.

If they're expecting us to RW to the beginning of the buffer and then press record to get the entire program, you'd at least think that item would've been worthy of being included in the pdf manual for the Hopper 3 as that's a huge change in functionality. As I suggested in post #26, Dish should put a Record Button Behavior section in the Settings screen so that we can at least set it behave the way we each would prefer as opposed to the current default of recording from the point where you press it, onward to the end of the current program...

Agree. And IIRC when I first got my H3, it did record the full program by default. Did you try upgrading to H341 yet?
I'll see if I'm at H341 and if not, I'll try and have it update to that. If it updates, I'll give the record mid-program a try and see if I get it all by default (which would be very nice) and report back here the results.

My H3 updated on its own to x43 a few days ago and that didn't resolve the issue. It still records from the point where I press record to the end of the program. Still have to RW the buffer to the point where the program begins and then press record to get the entire buffer... Aside from that, I still really like the H3.