Hitachi 46W500 vs. Toshiba 46HX83 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberized

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Beaverton, Oregon
I am trying to decide which of these comparable HDTV's to purchase. The Toshiba HX seems to have a little better picture BUT the Hitachi has a built in DVD, stand and I can get it much cheaper. BUT is the Toshiba HX model that much better than this Hitachi model that I shoud pay more for it?????

These are the questions ? Who in God's Green Earth knows the answers - that is the question?

TKKS Michael

I bought the 46L500 (NO DVD Player) for $1150 (plus tax). I am extremely pleased with this set. Excellent pq on SD channels and the HD stuff is wow! Hitachi is rated excellent regarding repairs. What's the price difference?

At local Video only I can get The Toshiba 46HX83 with base for $1399 and the Hitachi 46W500 w/o base for same price - delivered.
BUT a local fella has the same Hitachi on EBAY with the stand - 3 months old - for - right now at $999. What a DEAL! But I am scared that it might be one of those "too good to be true deals". Buyer said the WARR was transferrable - I EMailed Hitachi and they said that the WARR is NoT transferrable. SCARY to me! I was going to jump on it BUT will probably pay more and buy retail in case I would have to return + a WARR.
Going tomorrow to loo and compare these to a MITS WS 48413.

TKS Michael

Here's a clue over 80% of all color guns in RPTVs are made by Hitachi. I have a built in DVD in a 52" and was pleasantly suprised at picture quality on DVD vs. separate progressive scan unit

cyberized said:
I am trying to decide which of these comparable HDTV's to purchase. The Toshiba HX seems to have a little better picture BUT the Hitachi has a built in DVD, stand and I can get it much cheaper. BUT is the Toshiba HX model that much better than this Hitachi model that I shoud pay more for it?????
TKKS Michael
I always avoid buying a TV, and especially a LARGE TV, with anything built in like a VCR or a DVD player. If the DVD player fails for any reason you are kinda stuck with it as a useless spot in the cabinet. If it reduces the number of inputs available in the back so you can't add another (better) DVD player you are doubly stuck.
I would get the better TV without the DVD and later add a DVD recorder/player.
Of course this would add to your total cost but would still allow you to be more flexible in the long run.

I agree with Grandude, I like having the vcr/dvd player/recorder as a seperate unit instead of built in because of the useless spot in the cabinet.

Hey,

I own the SONY 46WT500 and have been very pleased with it for 1 1/2 years now.

The statement about most guns being made by Hitachi is false. The company that produces the guns Hitachi has a large investment in but they do not own them by any stretch of the truth. This is straight from Hitchi themselves.

As for the two choices given, I would take the Hitachi for build quality but the Toshiba for wide modes as some of the Hitachi wide modes are unbearable.

This is why I bought the Sony. At the time I was waitng for the Hitachi but it was still 6 months away from production. After it came out I was happy I went with the Sony. Nothing beats a Sony for colour trueness. I find with the Hitachi the greens are a touch limey and the reds a bit orangey.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Kryspy

THANKS! For the candid feedback everyone. I have been researching the WEB like "CRAZY" about these two models\brands and others. Found a local TV store that has these two exact models side by side - and you might not believe it BUT the Toshy HX takes the PRIZE for a noticeable extra "crispness". Now at CC they don't have the Toshiba Line - the Hitachi stood out to vs. the Sony 46 or the Panny 47. I like the looks of the Hitachi better than the Toshiba - and someone has told me that the quality of the HX is more lie the quality of the S series of Hitachi's.
I have decided on the The Toshiba! Now to get the "guts" to pull out the old Master Card and make it Official!

TKS me Friends, Michael

Great to see these posts. I'm looking at exactly the same two models for my first widescreed, HD TV. Local company salesman made similar claim that guts of Toshiba are all Hitachi. After four trips to the store he still champions Hitachi picture. There is a new Toshiba, the 84, coming out in July. Might be worth the short wait. I'm heading toward the Toshiba because of the wider viewing angle and the looks of the silver border. I'm in love with my Toshiba 24" flatscreen in my bedroom as well as a Tosh DVD. My local BB has just stopped carrying Hitachi's. Hmmm.

I would like some proof about the statements of Hitachi making most of the guns. I have never ever heard this and I have been a AV geek for years.
Toshiba's picture, in my opinion of course, has the best of any RPTV out there, the black level is superior to any of the others. Also it just looks great all around.

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/discover/techadv/tech_ad_proj00.shtml I believe the other company that manufactures RPTV lens is precision lens in Cincinatti. My statement was based on info a couple of year's old, but as you can see it is still posted on Hitachi's web site. I'm not promoting or currently selling Hitachi, but am aware of their perceived values. Precision is now owned by 3m and they are also stating their preminense in PTV lens manufacture. When i sold a lot of RPTVs in the late 1980s and early 90s Presision was number one and other than Hitachis statements i have no reason to disbelieve that now.

I don't see anything in that link that says that they manufacturer them for other companies. It says they make thier own and that is all I see. It does say that, "Hitachi is the only television manufacturer that designs and produces lens systems for projection TV products.", which to me means they are the only ones that produce thier own stuff for their tvs.

I am VERY Happy with my new 46HX83 - oUTSTANDING PQ and Stretch modes and a TAD better picture than the 46" Hitachi's I've seen. Please read Toshy review of this mel in Home Theater Magazine - for the $, you won't beat it - oR wait till the the 84 models come out.

Good Luck Michael

I have heard the same as 'toto' stated that Hitachi manufactures the guns for several leading RPTV companies.

This by no means implies that the electronics behind the guns are manufactured by Hitachi.

I can't confirm this with a link because it has been nearly a year since I have seen it.

Anyhow, if you apply this to other industries, you will find that a single part manufacturer often co-brands products or disributes to more than one parent company.

I have the 46f500, and I looked at the Toshibia's, The Toshibia after a year or so the picture fades, the Hitachi, had not. These were display models on the show room floor, there was a difference. My money goes to Hitachi, not to mention the better service history with them. A newer toshibia did look brighter and sharper BUT the same unit a year later DID not.

I really can't say enough great things about Hitachi. I think all of the top models from manufactures like Hitachi, Toshiba, and Mits have the potential for amazing picture quality. What really pulled me towards Hitachi was the superior ability to tweak the picture offering the most flexiblity in adjustments and the reputation of quality and dependablility(Hitachi is consistently ranked high by Consumer Reports for a low incidence of repairs and required service). Also, some of the little things I liked, such as how the cabinet looked and how the remote was laid out and fit in my hand, and the manner in which the user menus are structured were suited to my tastes.

There are so many factors that go into a major tv purchase, and whats important is a little different for all of us. If you just went on picture quality, there would be a tie. All of those other variables will pull you one way or another. But perhaps the biggest factor is PRICE. If you can get a great deal on a particular brand, that will often be the deciding factor.

I'm glad I spotted this thread. I saw the new 51F510 in Circuit City. It's less than 21" deep which isn't bad for a CRT. It's convinced me to take the HD Plunge. However, should I drop the extra $500 on the Hitachi S series. How much of a difference does the 5 element vs. the 4 element lens make? Aside from that I don't need the OTA tuners or Cablecard so I'm not sure it's worth the extra cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)