Hmmm... Super Powers

Need to allow you to use a large capacity thumb drive for extra storage vs a powered external HDD. The idea here is to use something that does not have a MOVING PART, which we all know can and will fail at some point so why not use something that does not have a moving part and does not require power.
You can already do that, I have a 64gb drive in on mine.

And how, pray tell, does it get to your TV??? Or, millions of other TV's?

Through a broadband connection.

Perhaps that could get integrated into a Joey getting access through an internet connection or perhaps be able to take your Joey with you to watch "On Demand" and/or PTA content. Or perhaps integrate Joey/Roku together.

Maybe they could dump the PTA function from all the channels overnight on a transponder to the hard drive (or an external one dedicated to that) perhaps using one, two or all three tuners. Could they compress more content in a file on a download from the satellite then uncompress it from the satellite receiver vs. recording it all live? Perhaps use this in conjunction with USB Satellite tuners?

Last edited:
I wonder how complicated it would be to add USB satellite tuners (instead of USB OTA tuners) to add more PTA transponders.

Need to allow you to use a large capacity thumb drive for extra storage vs a powered external HDD. The idea here is to use something that does not have a MOVING PART, which we all know can and will fail at some point so why not use something that does not have a moving part and does not require power.
Just get an ext SSD.

I tested a 256GB Crucial SSD and it worked. Rather expensive way of achieving reliability, though...

Solid state drives are not optimized for video.

They will eventually "wear out" if a spot is used over an over again.

They are designed to randomly use all their memory space so equal "Wear" occurs all over the chips and lifetime is prolonged, video tends to be more concentrated.

Spinning drives are plenty fast for video recording and playback, no need to use SSDs, as a matter of fact it is counterproductive.

I tested a 256GB Crucial SSD and it worked. Rather expensive way of achieving reliability, though...

Well at least it works, I tried a 16GB flash drive but that won't work and IMO it should no matter the size but of course a larger say 80GB flash drive should not really just a SSD.

still though as far as what is coming, I really wish we could get some sorta better idea vs waiting for a whole month.

Well at least it works, I tried a 16GB flash drive but that won't work and IMO it should no matter the size but of course a larger say 80GB flash drive should not really just a SSD.

still though as far as what is coming, I really wish we could get some sorta better idea vs waiting for a whole month.

The whole point of the news release is to generate excitement for the CES unveiling.

Solid state drives are not optimized for video. They will eventually "wear out" if a spot is used over an over again. They are designed to randomly use all their memory space so equal "Wear" occurs all over the chips and lifetime is prolonged, video tends to be more concentrated.

Yeah, for example the file system allocation table, or whatever it's called on ext3 file systems like our EHDs. That same table is rewritten over and over as we add and delete files. I would expect the most important data written to an SSD to crap out FIRST! :(

Using an SSD for archival storage would probably be OK, but not for use as a primary drive in ANY type of DVR.

Using an SSD for archival storage would probably be OK, but not for use as a primary drive in ANY type of DVR.

True, 3 channels (like the Hopper) buffers alone could produce 150-300 Gigabytes a day written (assuming 5-10 mbit/sec programs). Most SSDs have 50 TB or less of wear, a DVR would wear them out in a few months.

The whole point of the news release is to generate excitement for the CES unveiling.

right, but someone involved with any type of new hardware production is bound to leak some information out. I would say if nothing is leaked within the next week then we are not getting a new hopper model but rather just new software to go into the current models.

right, but someone involved with any type of new hardware production is bound to leak some information out. I would say if nothing is leaked within the next week then we are not getting a new hopper model but rather just new software to go into the current models.
That's pretty much what I expect. New software that will either create a more seamless integration between hoppers, or an expansion of PTAT/transponder stream recording.

My point exactly - a colossal waste of bandwidth. Satellite distribution and local recording is far, far, far more efficient. Internet streaming only works now because the percentage using it is low.

It would work like on demand does. Dish would keep the content on their end.

Solid state drives are not optimized for video.

They will eventually "wear out" if a spot is used over an over again.

They are designed to randomly use all their memory space so equal "Wear" occurs all over the chips and lifetime is prolonged, video tends to be more concentrated.

Spinning drives are plenty fast for video recording and playback, no need to use SSDs, as a matter of fact it is counterproductive.
You are going to have to post something to back that up my friend. I've not read anything to show that that is the case. You just have to not reformat an SSD if you do that that will mess up most if not all.

I just did a search and found a forum that was saying that they believe that SSD's are more reliable than an HDD in a DVR that is in constant use for a CCTV recording system. So if it can handle that kind of constant read/write situation then w/ tweeking the s/w of a DVR to only delete files and not try to nightly "clean" the section of the drive that isn't in use like the OS for an E* DVR does.

Everything I'm read about it says that the OS would have to be changed to use SSD's. So that is the reason that the SSD's don't work well w/ the DVR's we have now. They were discussing the Sky Box in Europe and the problems w/ the use of an SSD in those boxes.

SSD spread the wear around, but the main issue is that there is about 3k writes to a cell before it goes bad. DVRs on the other hand like the Hopper could be recording into the buffer 3 HD streams at once. The endurance is just not there. Now for archiving they are great. Perhaps a hybrid system with SSD for timers and archiving, but a HD for the live TV buffering would work well.

Besides is HD performance the real issue? Or the longevity of stored content? Both HDs and SSDs have long term reliability issues. Just because the HD does not crash does not mean that its electronics does not go bad. The same can be said about SSDs.

HD250 vs AT250??????

Scott Interviews DISH CEO Joe Clayton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)