Hmmm... Super Powers

They put in extra cells to account for those that are no longer able to function.

I guess the main problem here is reliability of the HDD's they are putting in the DVR's. I had a woman (over the age of 50) break down and start crying when I told her that her DVR was going bad and needed to be replaced. She had well over 600 different things saved on it and would stand to lose them all till I showed her a external HDD to purchase and get them saved before the swap. But yes a grown woman started to cry over stupid tv recordings as if that was the most important thing in the world. :rolleyes:

I give up - you don't get my point.

If ptat functionality is used on all channels at dish's end the home user can access selected content from their home. This would be good for shows not offered on demand. I understand that you think it is a waste of bandwidth especially with data caps these days. There may not be enough demand to do such a thing unless you have a service available over broadband only. Something like this would be good for those without a DVR as well.

I wonder if their weather station that was mentioned a while back would be implemented. Perhaps other similar things could also be connected like security camera's and allowing that to be shared through sling.

What was the outcome, if there was one, of Cablevision's "cloud DVR" system ? Was it ruled to be allowable ?

It was allowed. The Supreme Court did not take the provider's appeal so the Appeals Court's ruling that it was legal stands. It is one of the rulings Aereo is relying on in its fight.

The OS doesn't know nor care what "type" the hard drive is. It still communicates through the SATA bus.
Incorrect answer I did my research on it. The SSD isn't the run the same way as an HDD. They can't do the linux clean of the space that is marked as unused now. It can no longer reformat the partition or maybe do the Fsck.

Incorrect answer I did my research on it. The SSD isn't the run the same way as an HDD. They can't do the linux clean of the space that is marked as unused now. It can no longer reformat the partition or maybe do the Fsck.
"You are going to have to post something to back that up my friend"

The most common filesystems used in Linux, ext4, JFS, XFS, all support SSD. The kernel and those same filesystems also support the "TRIM" function.

Consider this Dish new receivers are super as they offer true UHD or 4K.

Dish will have true 24/7 UHD programs plus pay per movies in UHD.

Dish also could team up with companys like sony to offer the new receivers with the purchase of an UHD Sony TV

2014 is the year of UHD.

If this is what Dish have up to then a $10.00 fee for HD makes sense.

or I maybe way off base.

I believe Dish uses EXT3.
Switching to ext4 is a non-issue as ext4 is backwards-compatible with ext3. ext4 is primarily just an enhancement of ext3 with journaling support added. Now, Dish may use an older kernel that doesn't support TRIM. Being a "closed" system, not staying up-to-date with kernel development is generally a non-issue - it works for them.

Switching to ext4 is a non-issue as ext4 is backwards-compatible with ext3. ext4 is primarily just an enhancement of ext3 with journaling support added. Now, Dish may use an older kernel that doesn't support TRIM. Being a "closed" system, not staying up-to-date with kernel development is generally a non-issue - it works for them.

Dish may not see any point in moving on to a newer file system. Lord help us if they ever decide to come up with their own.

Consider this Dish new receivers are super as they offer true UHD or 4K.

Dish will have true 24/7 UHD programs plus pay per movies in UHD.

Dish also could team up with companys like sony to offer the new receivers with the purchase of an UHD Sony TV

2014 is the year of UHD.

If this is what Dish have up to then a $10.00 fee for HD makes sense.

or I maybe way off base.

I don't know, they've done TV & receiver deals in the past. You may be on to something they announce for late in the year.

I suspect UHD support may in and of itself allow for an additional fee. :(

I don't know, they've done TV & receiver deals in the past. You may be on to something they announce for late in the year.

I suspect UHD support may in and of itself allow for an additional fee. :(

DISH is always looking for another way to charge another additional FEE. They even revived the $10.00 HD FEE for new subs after 24 month commitment is up. Don't forget their Vip additional receiver fees back in 2010 for $17.00 for a second dual tuner dvr. That was a real gem. Made me get rid of all my dual tuner dvrs but one to escape the extra $10.00 fee per receiver.

HD250 vs AT250??????

Scott Interviews DISH CEO Joe Clayton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)