Hmmm... Super Powers

I still remember a sales critter in BB telling a customer that every few years the plasma would have to be recharged.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

While plasma can offer superior PQ, so can CRT. The reason most people are going for LCD is the fact that they're lighter, slimmer and consume less electricity. Also they tend to have less glare and some people still think plasma still has significant burn-in.

My avoidance of plasma is solely heat-related. My AC here in FL has enough trouble keeping the house cool enough in summer, without adding another heat source to the mix.

Apparently and now this is just info I'm getting out of my office and I'm not 100% sure if accurate but there is a new Hopper coming the Hopper 3 which will give wireless ability to new Joeys much like Bluetooth or Wireless - a router will be built into the new Hopper apparently so the customers won't need to purchase one to make this happen.

Again, I'm not sure if this is 100% sure and I have no documentation on this but the sources have been accurate so far in the past.

I'm assuming this is what is coming from this show or date of this show.

Last edited:
Nice, but incremental. Won't make me envious as my HWS system will not be missing any performance compared to the rumored "3."

Nice, but incremental. Won't make me envious as my HWS system will not be missing any performance compared to the rumored "3."

I would imagin a more powerful processor and other hardware enhancements would be a given but again this is just speculation and I didn't get any details on those type things. I wish I could get some documentation on it but even still this may be all wrong. The adding a wireless router internal to the system is fine but they get $99 a sale from Smart Home Services from some people now that are just too lazy or stupid to go get a cheaper/better router and set it up themselves so I'm curious as to why the shot in the foot by Dish if they are doing this. Kinda makes a little sense considering they are also rumored to get rid of connectivity requirements of all VIP's and only require Hoppers to be connected to the net - plug a modem into the hopper and BAM instant wireless for everything I guess.

I would imagin a more powerful processor and other hardware enhancements would be a given but again this is just speculation and I didn't get any details on those type things. I wish I could get some documentation on it but even still this may be all wrong. The adding a wireless router internal to the system is fine but they get $99 a sale from Smart Home Services from some people now that are just too lazy or stupid to go get a cheaper/better router and set it up themselves so I'm curious as to why the shot in the foot by Dish if they are doing this. Kinda makes a little sense considering they are also rumored to get rid of connectivity requirements of all VIP's and only require Hoppers to be connected to the net - plug a modem into the hopper and BAM instant wireless for everything I guess.

Wow, can the processor get more powerful! :)

Seeing the difference between my original Hopper and HWS is noticeable, if so wow!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

but they get $99 a sale from Smart Home Services ... so I'm curious as to why the shot in the foot by Dish if they are doing this.

Simple...so they can either A) Give the Hopper3 an even more expensive monthly DVR fee, B) Charge a $99+ "Router Activation Fee", or C) BOTH. ;)

Thank you. Good to know Dish/Echostar went with a top end chip that will be more future proof than an older, cheaper chip.

Well that's if they go with or stay with Broadcom.... many builders out there but who knows.

Considering the great results they're getting now with the Hopper platform, and their history of using Broadcom, I'd be dumbfounded if they changed that horse in mid-stream.

Yeah, they've used Broadcom for a long time (the VIP622 used it and possibly earlier). Switching hardware platforms could require (some) software changes too and safe to say they're somewhat vested in the Broadcom platform for now....

I believe Broadcom only provides the networking processor.
Moores law states processing power will continue to double every so many years. There is plenty of room for a faster processor in a Hopper with sling.
The system needs to respond just before you touch the button on the remote.

I believe Broadcom only provides the networking processor.
Moores law states processing power will continue to double every so many years. There is plenty of room for a faster processor in a Hopper with sling.
The system needs to respond just before you touch the button on the remote.

NSA refuses to release that remote capability, so like voice recognition, it will have to be reinvented on the commercial side, several times to get past suppression/discouragement. ;)

There's also room for Quantum processing, optical processors, and HoloSuite protocols. And when we make something idiot-proof, nature makes better idiots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts