Hmmm... Super Powers

A Dish Technician a few weeks ago told me that they were clearing off some space off of a Dish satellite to make room for a satellite phone. Don't know if there is really any truth in that or not. Would be interesting if they implemented some sort of transmission back to the satellite with the new Hopper and/or phone service as a bundle through your broadband connection and through the satellite if that is not available through broadband. I am surprised they have not offered VoIP yet in their receivers.

Phone service to geo is simply intenable due to latency. Maybe Dishnet. But not a happy compromise.

Yeah, they've used Broadcom for a long time (the VIP622 used it and possibly earlier). Switching hardware platforms could require (some) software changes too and safe to say they're somewhat vested in the Broadcom platform for now....
Pretty sure the 942 had a broadcom in it.

A Dish Technician a few weeks ago told me that they were clearing off some space off of a Dish satellite to make room for a satellite phone. Don't know if there is really any truth in that or not. Would be interesting if they implemented some sort of transmission back to the satellite with the new Hopper and/or phone service as a bundle through your broadband connection and through the satellite if that is not available through broadband. I am surprised they have not offered VoIP yet in their receivers.

No, nothing to do with phone. He most likely read something here or another forum about that wireless spectrum take over or the nTelos testing stuff.

I told him that I never heard anything about it that I usually get head up (from this site) regarding any such thing. He didn't know about the NTelos wireless internet testing that was launched.

At last year's Team Summit Charlie said he was hoping to have a Dish phone available by the next Team Summit which was of course 7 months ago.

Well talking to a friend whom was in on a recent office conference call from Dish regional that they were told to be ready for something hopper related/changing but wouldn't go into much more than that. The way he talked they were certainly talking about a new model coming but no other details were released. The issue I have with a new model coming out so quick like is the learning and problem curve. Dish won't back off on the trouble calls on a tech that installs a new receiver even though many issues are related to early software glitches and things out of our control much like everything else in this business.

So with that I expect a new model release shortly after Jan6th in the coming weeks and a years worth of annoying issues to work out.

I don't see any reason to release another version of the hopper unless it is going to include something new, like more sat tuners and or more ota tuners. Otherwise it just seems like they are pulling an Apple and releasing a new version every year, that is slightly different in hopes of getting more customer upgrades or people to buy new receivers. I 'm still on hopper version 1 and now I have to decide whether I will trade in my two hoppers on the newest version of hopper come June of 2015 when the $5.00 credits drop off from DISH. I'm sure that what ever they come out with it will include more increases in existing fees or another new fee yet to be named.

They need to make LNBs with built-in nodes and I guess maybe they're preparing to support wireless Joeys? I wonder if a new Joey will be coming out with built-in WiFi? I had my Joey on WiFi for a year and a half and it worked quite well. I have three huge WiFi antennas on my router though. I now have the Joey on Ethernet since it's now in a permanent location pretty much right next to my main router. If they come out with a new Joey hopefully it will have a faster CPU because coming from one of the HwSs to the Joey location the Joey is painfully slow in comparison. The H2ks were starting to get bogged down with the software updates but recently they're pretty responsive. The HwSs' speed definitely spoils me. Also I hope they can fix this crummy new bug-laden software soon.

I'll spring for a Hopper3 on day one if it has the protected icons back, like the other Hoppers used to have before Dish screwed them up with s/w updates.

We should be hearing some sorta news or leaks any day now ahead of the show. I find it hard to believe nothing has come out yet but even still harder to believe they could keep it full secret till that day/time.

HD250 vs AT250??????

Scott Interviews DISH CEO Joe Clayton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)