HN7000S and Windows Vista

Bluebonnet_Country

Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
TX
I'm trying to help my mother who started using HughesNet when she had a computer with Windows XP OS. HughesNet worked fine. Her computer crashed and she bought a new one with Vista OS. Ever since then, she has had trouble connecting after shutting down her computer. Every time she shuts down or restarts her computer, in order to connect to the internet, she has to unplug the modem from her computer and plug it in again.

Her modem is the HN7000S. She also constantly gets a message about installing Hughes Net Tools Update. Of course, the CD she has does not work, but when I call Tech Support for her, they are unable to get it installed either. They have been no help at all regarding the issue of having to unplug the modem repeatedly and said the problem is with her computer. When she took her computer in to be checked out, after keeping it about 2 weeks, they gave it back to her with almost all her software uninstalled, including HughsNet and said her problem was HughesNet. She of course was furious and explained to them that is her ISP.

She's very frustrated at this point. I'm wondering if perhaps a newer modem would work better with Vista? Has anyone else experienced this problem? How would she go about getting HughesNet to replace her modem with one that works?

There is no relationship between Windows and any Hughes modem made since the DW4000. The trip to the computer shop was a waste of time and money.And I personally found HughesNet Tools to be a waste of disc space. It wasn't long before I simply uninstalled it completely.

But you need to provide a better description of how you have things hooked up - before we can be of much assistance. So is your HN7000S plugged in as part of your mom's home network? Or is it connected directly to the network card in her computer?

//greg//

I don't think she cares about HughesNet Tools, but she gets tired of the message telling her she needs to install it. How does she get rid of that?

The HN7000S is hooked directly to her computer.

I don't think she cares about HughesNet Tools, but she gets tired of the message telling her she needs to install it. How does she get rid of that?

what kind of pc (details are good)? ive seen a few issues with certain pc's running vista and the hn modems. another thing to check, out of curiosity.....when you scroll you mouse over the network icon in the taskbar, how many networks is it telling you your connected too?

It's a nag screen. If there's no box to check that says "don't show this again", then install the HughesNet Tools - then turn right around and uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs page. That said, maybe you want to read this first: http://kb.hughesnet.com/al/12/2/3426.htm . There's a chance that the Tools might help with the other problem.

If you still don't want to fool with the Tools, PC-to-modem connection must be with Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet cable. If there's a telephone cable there by mistake, it won't work right. You should also check the modem power adapter. Some modems were shipped with the wrong one, you should have a 64 watt or larger unit.

The machine I'm talking to you on right now has XP/Pro on a Hughes connection, but I've also got a VISTA laptop connected downstairs. So I can walk you through a few things to check. Go to Start, then click on Network Connections. Tell me what's listed there please. Right click whatever the connection is called, right click Properties, highlight TCP/IP, click the Properties button. Tell me what you see please.

//greg//