Hoak Media stations off Dish amid dispute

The crappy part of the situation is that I can receive the affiliate OTA but my guide data for that channel just shows important news. This means I can view the channel but all my timers will not work correctly. This is absurd, I am about to cut the cord and spend my money elsewhere.

Let us know when you do.

The crappy part of the situation is that I can receive the affiliate OTA but my guide data for that channel just shows important news. This means I can view the channel but all my timers will not work correctly. This is absurd, I am about to cut the cord and spend my money elsewhere.

set manual ones.

Well, here we go again. As was stated earlier, the stations removed themselves from Dish, not Dish removing the stations. Technically that's the way it is, period. This just brings up the old question about the station's coverage areas and advertising revenue. Back in the days when every station had to rely on their OTA coverage as it was all they had, they would do whatever they could do, and the F.C.C. would allow them to do to increase their coverage. Increased coverage equals more advertising revenue. Now, they voluntarily give up coverage to increase the retransmission fees paid by the cable or satellite companies that provide a great deal of their modern day coverage. Any smart advertiser will demand a huge reduction in their advertising costs or cancel any advertising with the stations when a station is stupid enough to reduce their coverage and remove eyeballs from the advertiser's messages. This will invariably cost the stations more than they would ever gain from the increased retransmission fees. STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

Don't give in Dish!

Well, here we go again. As was stated earlier, the stations removed themselves from Dish, not Dish removing the stations. Technically that's the way it is, period. This just brings up the old question about the station's coverage areas and advertising revenue. Back in the days when every station had to rely on their OTA coverage as it was all they had, they would do whatever they could do, and the F.C.C. would allow them to do to increase their coverage. Increased coverage equals more advertising revenue. Now, they voluntarily give up coverage to increase the retransmission fees paid by the cable or satellite companies that provide a great deal of their modern day coverage. Any smart advertiser will demand a huge reduction in their advertising costs or cancel any advertising with the stations when a station is stupid enough to reduce their coverage and remove eyeballs from the advertiser's messages. This will invariably cost the stations more than they would ever gain from the increased retransmission fees. STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

Don't give in Dish!

Here, Here!! Well said, sir. You get it.
Think of the subscribers who can watch a local, that without a carrier especially since digital, could not otherwise OTA.

I've been saying this all along, and not just for broadcast locals. Any channel that is moved to a lower package tier should get more coverage and more potential eyeballs for the advertisers. Thus, in a free-market competitive system, all channels should be low-bidding each other in carriage fees for the privilege of being on a lower tier. Not the other way around with constant subscription fee hikes/negotiations/contract disputes. But the system is broken and it is in no way a competitive market.

little video from KVLY/KX4 in Fargo...I guess "their side" ;)

Dish TV / Hoak Media Retransmission Agreement - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks
Wednesday at 5pm DISH Network took the signals of Channel 11, KVLY, and Channel 4, KXJB, off the air.

We did not ask them to remove the stations. We offered them an extension, which DISH refused. We have been having difficulties coming to an agreement with DISH Network over the terms under which they carry our stations. The agreement expired at 5pm Central time on Wednesday, June 6th.

Our parent companies--Hoak Media, owner of KVLY, and Parker Broadcasting, owner of KXJB-- have conducted negotiations with DISH Network for months but were unable to reach agreement with DISH Network by the deadline. We offered DISH an extension, but they refused.

Our company continues to negotiate with DISH and we hope to reach an agreement shortly that will restore the signals of KVLY, NBC, Channel 11 and KXJB, CBS, Channel 4.

They do mention it had nothing to do with the Hawper ;)

They do mention it had nothing to do with the Hawper ;)

That's "Hawpa" :)

So I watched the whole segment. Must say he comes off as very sincere. I just can't believe he would just completely lie, so I am interested if Dish decided to drop the channels, it would be the first time I am aware of that it wasn't the other way around.
That said, he made a mistake to those of us who keep up on this to talking about "Free - OTA." That is essentially the problem. As was so well said above, so why should you be charging and escalating to the carrier who brings your signal to so many who would not otherwise get it, and to those who already can get it free?
Since this type of problem is affecting many carriers, by no means just Dish, it's a problem beyond technical language in the contract. The devil's in the details as they say, just what is that language?

He did mention there had been extensions in the video segment, but an extension is given by the affiliate, not by Dish, so still clear as mud.

talking as a politician? or saying something and hiding the truth? or maybe a good script for the soap opera?

Our NBC affiliate (KHAS) is one of the Hoak properties, which I didn't know until it was pulled or taken down from Dish. I don't know for sure which way it happened.
I can still get it OTA, although there are momentary drop outs at times

It was taken down by Hoak, make no mistake....

In a statement signed by its general manager and posted on its website, the station said Hoak Media tried hard to negotiate a new deal with DISH and offered several extensions to keep programming on the air.
"DISH Network took our signal off their system nonetheless," the statement says. "We did not ask them to take our station off the system.
"It's important for you to understand that DISH Network profits by including broadcast stations such as ours in its lineup, and like any other businesses, it should pay fair market value, which amounts to only pennies a day per station, per subscriber, for the ability to resell our stations’ programming to you,” the statement said.

Read more: Because of dispute, DISH customers lose Hastings' KHAS-TV

You never know who to believe.

Legally, Dish is required by law to carry it, unless the broadcaster denies the right to carry. In the absence of a retransmission denial, "Must Carry" automatically kicks in. Can't be any clearer than that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts