Hobbyist Open Source Satellite Receiver - Raspberry Pi 2???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
TBS-5922 and Tevii S662 Comparison

The picture quality of both units on the 97W Ku transponders was pretty good.
The Tevii would lock on 101W C but had no picture.
The TBS would lock but had a screwed up picture.
My MicroHD locked the 101W C transponder and had a good picture and Q of 55%.
The 101W C Dish is a 6 footer with a long cable run, very marginal. A good test case.
I don't understand the SNR numbers the Tevii is putting out. The identical
signal numbers are no typo either.

In my case, I would rate them in order of descending relative sensitivity from
observed quality or lack thereof on 101W C and other Sats:
Micro HD, TBS5922, Mini HD SE, Tevii S662. Your experience may differ.

"These values are reported to MuMuDVB by the card driver.
The units will depend on the card, the driver and the options of the driver module."
TestData.jpg

The data for the two units was collected within one half hour time period in an effort to
minimize differences in atmospheric, solar and other time of day based interference factors.
The same Pi2 was used to collect data for both units. Tuner attached to Pi, streaming to a laptop.

Last edited:
Did you install the RPi MPEG2 license? If not, tune a MPEG4 service to check video decoding.

Strange numbers that don't jive. Sorry that I no help. Wish I had time to get the project started this week! :(

I am almost there in getting mine going, maybe by tomorrow. Thanks to Fred for all the hard work and providing instructions.

Reactions: fred555
Did you install the RPi MPEG2 license? If not, tune a MPEG4 service to check video decoding.

Strange numbers that don't jive. Sorry that I no help. Wish I had time to get the project started this week! :(

I have the license but you have to apply it to every SD card. So It was not installed during the test.
The playback was occurring on a laptop, not the Pi also. I will try an MPEG4 source when I get a chance.
The license is only needed for MPEG2 not MPEG4 from what I have read.

The numbers depend on the driver and the author doing it correctly, the firmware too I guess.
Quote from Mumudvb manual:
"These values are reported to MuMuDVB by the card driver.
The units will depend on the card, the driver and the options of the driver module."

Last edited:
yes, the 6' dish is not maintenance free; it is big enough to get the attention needed from all forms of natural ingress; requiring the re-peaking of many times animals bend/fall into/human/deer/WIND and glues too (for the cable connector). I am not as high maintenance as my satellite dish, and understand it too well it is what I need. My favorite satellites channel list is the ones I can get too; and they are even more high maintenance than all the rest of this happy face thing. I have a 10 satellite feed project that fits real well with what I really want using nodel monography..the DVB-S2 magic in the box usn2 x 10; USBx16 x2; 6 x local ATSC tuners usb2It is getting easier...the 10/100 wired ? raspberry PI2x10 @100 = 1000 with new 10' c/ku band dish; + 10 c band lnbf NA 3.7-4.2 wifi = 2500; + bracket; labor; internet provider; 20 port sw switch; droid phone; hobby. and i add an 6xhdtv local splitter this allows 10 users to tune up to 500 channels easily; using their computer. If they are tuning the channels; can say a thousand and more watch it using iso? When I add the 10 switches; PS's; and surge protectors; and the 10 ku lnbfs all dual feeds; it will cost a good coin in time to set it up for you. and I can build it inside your house's property so that nobody knows it is there! Typical maintenance fee. Duck Pond 20 satellite $10k robotic computer/droid satellite tv /local free tv system 16 channel internet tv cable system

Last edited:
yes, the 6' dish is not maintenance free; it is big enough to get the attention needed from all forms of natural ingress; requiring the re-peaking of many times animals bend/fall into/human/deer and glues too (for the cable connector). I am not as high maintenance as my satellite dish, and understand it too well it is what I need. My favorite satellites channel list is the ones I can get too; and they are even more high maintenance than all the rest of this happy face thing. I have a 10 satellite feed project that fits real well with what I really want using nodel monography..the Canadian DVB-S2 magic in the box? It is getting easier...the raspberry PI2x10 @100

The 6 footer is a test case of where to plant my 10 footer, lots of trees an things. I just wish hadn't used so many bags of concrete to set it.
That's what a tractor is for I guess.

The 6 footer is a test case of where to plant my 10 footer, lots of trees an things. I just wish hadn't used so many bags of concrete to set it.
That's what a tractor is for I guess.
OR Dynamite!!! :eeek

Reactions: fred555
I wanted to get it up quickly over the winter and I already had a big hole, no digging in frozen ground.
When we plant shrubs around here they get dug up and replanted 2 or 3 times to get just the right spot too.

Reactions: richyrich
now that will be local internet tv better than the rest. raspberry PI2 Internet TV HDTV System! If your dad was alive; he would be rolling (LOL) by now. But those were the day's of yore' old like me 6'-13' satellte dish mind at ease.

1-200 really is a great pak; it is all that is needed. Big dishes challenge dvb-s2 receivers to the max today. And too many tree's is really a good thing; you have to put it on the neighbors property; or get real good at finding the satellites you want through the holes; or the ones that are clear of interference. Some static dishes (AZ/el) can get one or more (10 of each = 20 satellites from a 10' dish) satellites if they can see the satellites they want. And they do not move more than an inch a year. It does work in a clear south field. I have no tree's here; i m lucky too.

The only thing; Fred555; I need to know where I can buy some raspberry PI2; in small quantities; 10 or 16 at a time. Then i make the satellite motor a robot that run's my flag up the pole; and back down; or at half mast. Say hi to your Mom for me, ok.

Last edited:
Why he hasn't been banned, is beyond me. 99% of everything he posts is garbage. He's trolled this thread beyond endurance...

What happened to Scott's new troll policy?

Why he hasn't been banned, is beyond me. 99% of everything he posts is garbage. He's trolled this thread beyond endurance...

What happened to Scott's new troll policy?
It is not complete trolling. English is not his first language, and I am in conversation with him trying to come to a solution.
He is trying to participate in discussions, and the humor he tries to through in is hard for us to understand.

If it was trolling it would have been gone some time ago.

It is not complete trolling. English is not his first language, and I am in conversation with him trying to come to a solution.
He is trying to participate in discussions, and the humor he tries to through in is hard for us to understand.

If it was trolling it would have been gone some time ago.

We actually had a talk about this last night. :)

Reactions: richyrich
OK, so I look like a troll, act like a troll; but I ... am not a troll. Hope your still around when i am done. I still do not know where to buy rasperi-pi2 internet/network device; and that is all i want to know. A real-time clock is all i have seen posted since i stopped following this thread. i sorry...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)