Hockey fans- what teams did you hate the most and why

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
This question is for the hockey fans.

What were the NHL teams you hated the most and why?

For me, it's the Canadiens.

Growing up in Buffalo roughly 30 minutes from the Aud, having to put up with not only a ton of frustrating losses (1990, 1991 AND 1993) in the spring, and hearing CBC (I had a feed) gush about how great Montreal was infuriated me.

I used to think CBC stood for:

Canadiens

Butt-kissing

Corpotation

I don't want to hear that stuff about CBC being Leafs-biased- I always have and always will insist they are Hab-biased. Oh, and I think NBC is Red Wing-biased, as well, but that's for another day.

I loathed the Habs, and I never liked the Bruins either, but that was different.

The difference was with the Bruins, it was more of a healthy hatred and a good-old-fashioned hockey rivalry.

I didn't like the Bruins, but I respected them, especially with names like Bourque, Neely, ands Moog.

The Canadiens were to me what the Ice-landers are to Sandra.

Last edited:
I hate the Red Wings
hockeytown cant even sellout a game, a generalization but not too far off
cause i cant like every team

You must have missed the 15 years prior that you could not get a ticket.
From about 1991 till "The Captain" retired which was a few years ago, what 2-3 years now.

In case you missed it, the economy isn't quite where it use to be either ....

Jimbo

Yep that economy really took a toll on the the spending for ALL Detroit teams from what I saw. Even if games did sell out, concessions were way down. What much of the country is now realizing is the economics hardship that afflicted Michigan earlier then the rest.

As for teams I hate, well, I'm a life-long die-hard Wings fan so:

Colorado
Toronto (really miss these games every year since the re-alignment)

I'm starting to have a healthy dislike of Nashville

Being a Devil's fan, I'd put the Rangers as public enemy #1.

Living in the Toledo area, the Red Wings are a close 2nd. I know they're the local team, but I get sick of hearing about them all the time. Plus, I can't root for any team "North of the Border".

It is hard not to dislike the Canadiens. I have tried to but somehow I cannot manage it.

Being a Devil's fan, I'd put the Rangers as public enemy #1.

Living in the Toledo area, the Red Wings are a close 2nd. I know they're the local team, but I get sick of hearing about them all the time. Plus, I can't root for any team "North of the Border".

Come on now rancidzombie, you can do it. :)

I live in Sylvania, have been a Red Wings fan for the last 25-30 years, but then again, don't expect me to root for u of michigan teams either :D

btw, Welcome to the site :up

As for my dislikes, it would have to be the Av's in the last 15 years, for obvious reasons. lemuix / Draper for one.
That said, they have always been great games to watch.

Jimbo

The Detroit Red Wings.They are like Notre Dame (who I hate too).They seem to be a feature team shoved at you every week on a national broadcast.
Also the NY Islanders.I found alot of their fans rude and abusive when they came into Philly.I also saw them on the west coast & a few of their fans thought the same !

Former Whale fan here, too... enemy numero uno was the Bruins, followed closely by the Rangers. And Hart5150, I couldn't agree more about your sentiments towards Karamanos!

Also the NY Islanders.I found alot of their fans rude and abusive when they came into Philly.I also saw them on the west coast & a few of their fans thought the same !

LOL! A Flyers fan talking about rude fans :p

As a bruins fan I really hate the habs

I can't stand the Tampa Bay Lightning. When they stole the Stanley Cup from the Calgary Flames I felt like burning down the city of Tampa Bay. They couldn't even fill their arena for the playoffs, AND the stupid Tampa fans needed a section on their website to explain the rules of hockey.

I will forever hate that team. Beyond that I've always hated the Habs as well.

Most hated, the Boston Bruins. Lived with some Boston area residents when I was in the Air Force. These guys could really make you gag. I am sure there plenty more of them out there. I've hated the Celtics since I was young and these guys helped me realize the same hatred for the Patroits and Red Socks.

Nashville Predators.

Considering division alignment and entry into the league, they are the most natural rival to the Columbus Blue Jackets. I get both teams on my RSN's (cable).

And yes, I'm a newbie. I have only been watching the NHL for about 20 years, and not passionately. I don't know what it's like to hate the Canadiens, but since they had a hand keeping fan interest away from the Expos (one of my former favorite baseball teams), what the heck.

I never said our fans were angels because we're not !<lol> But some of the fans that have come to Philly were extremely nasty ! The Ranger & Devils fans were loud.But the Islander fans get carried away sometimes.I dont mind fans going on road trips to root for their team.It's alot of fun.I've been to every NHL city + some that are no longer there to cheer on my team.But when they were that drunk & every other word was with or with out mother that would get on anybodys nerves.Even some people I know on the west coast who say the same thing about (some) Islander fans.And it is only a few bad seeds I know.But they do make themselves known !
That's sort of why the Islanders are not on my favorite list.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)