Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
Game attendance is up, and so are TV ratings

By Toni Fitzgerald
Nov 8, 2005

Following a lockout, it can take forever to woo back fans. It took four years and the shattering of baseball's most hallowed record to bring fans back after the 1994 strike. NBA viewership still hasn’t recovered from the 1998-’99 labor dispute.

But hockey, of all sports, is turning out to be a very different story. Against almost all expectations, its fans are returning at a healthy pace, if not in droves.

They are doing so, moreover, after perhaps the most disastrous labor breakdown in pro sports history, the first in which an entire season was lost.

Attendance was up 6 percent through the first two weeks of the season, and the league set an attendance record in October with an average 16,820 per game. Ratings on cable are up or performing above expected levels.

Post-lockout, many predicted that hockey would return with a thud. Opinion polls throughout the strike suggested that the public was not that eager for the sport’s return, and both the owners and players came out of the dispute looking shabby.

Why the surprising resurgence?

Credit the good manners the league learned watching the NBA and MLB bungle their returns. In a sign of arrogance, or what was seen as arrogance, the two leagues attempted to come back from their strikes without properly apologizing to their fans.

They also failed to address long-simmering problems that led to those strikes.

The NHL did quite the opposite, first off apologizing to the fans for missing a season.

Second, the NHL implemented some real changes, several of which promised to lead to higher scoring, to the end of making the game more exciting. That's happened. Scoring has risen nearly a third versus the 2003-’04 season, to 6.4 goals per game.

Third, the league did a very good job of publicizing its return.

Those moves have resulted in lots of tangible success, even beyond the increase in attendance. Hockey, which six months ago seemed in danger of slipping from cable’s radar, is off to a strong start.

Nine games on OLN, its new carrier, have averaged 194,000 total viewers and a 0.1 household rating. Though that’s below the average for the 2003-’04 season on ESPN and ESPN2, those networks are available in more than 20 million more homes than OLN, which is available in 64 million homes.

But that’s still nearly double OLN’s timeslot average last year, and four of the games, featuring more popular NHL teams, did equal ESPN2’s most recent season average.

What’s more, hockey’s doing especially well in Canada, where its core audience resides, and on FSN regional channels.

Last month’s season openers for five teams, including the Chicago Blackhawks, Phoenix Coyotes and Pittsburgh Penguins, more than doubled their 2003-’04 season debut numbers. Minnesota Wild viewership is up 150 percent season-to-date on FSN North.

And to the North, the CBC’s “Hockey Night in Canada” has increased more than 60 percent over the 2003-’04 season. Rogers Sportsnet set a regular-season record last month with 791,000 viewers for the Boston-Toronto game, its best NHL telecast ever.

Meanwhile, in other TV sports for the week ended Oct. 30, Fox’s Sunday NFL doubleheader was the week’s top-rated sporting event, averaging a 13.4 household rating. That was Fox’s best Sunday performance since opening weekend in 2003.

On cable, ESPN’s “NFL Primetime” was the top-ranked sports show for the week ended Oct. 23, averaging a 2.3 rating (there was no ESPN “Sunday Night Football” game due to the World Series).

TBS averaged a 1.7 household rating for the Oct. 29 Texas-Oklahoma State game, the highest-rated college football game in the network’s history. It eclipsed last year’s USC-Stanford game by 21 percent.

http://medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_1190.asp

The amount of penalties called are ridiculous, I hate the shootouts, but I have to say that I missed it and am glad its back.

Now with HNIC in HD, even better. Heck I'll have a Leaf HD doubleshot on Friday (TSN) and Saturday (CBC). Maybe they'll even win!

Hockey is great and I watch it all the time right now. It's a good sport with lots of action and the game is better than before because the defense that made hockey a little boring at times is now illegal. Let the stars show skill and to hell with the muggings of the past.

angiodan said:
The amount of penalties called are ridiculous, I hate the shootouts, but I have to say that I missed it and am glad its back.

Now with HNIC in HD, even better. Heck I'll have a Leaf HD doubleshot on Friday (TSN) and Saturday (CBC). Maybe they'll even win!

How do I get CBC in HD,
I am in NW Ohio, where are the towers at ?
I can get channel 9 in analog, but do not know what the physical channel is
I also may be to far away, Once I find out where the towers are I will know.

Thanks,
Jimbo

angiodan said:
Jimbo, I think only Toronto is providing the HD feed. What station are you getting your analog feed from?

It's been a while since I paid attention to the call letters,
Channel 9 with HNIC , is that CBC, yes it's CBC, I just checked.
I hadn't reallized that it could be coming from more than one location.

If it is coming from Toronto, 1st thats pretty good for my analog antenna, 2nd probably to far for the digital signal.

Jimbo

I hate the fact that they have made Hockey more offensive.

Hockey is a defensive game. To me they have cheapened the sport. :(

I personally like the rule changes, but see where some would not. As far as the records, etc, it just proves that the NHL fans are the best of any league. We are true fans in the last "real" sport left.

angiodan said:
My guess is you are getting CBET out of Windsor. They do list channel 35 as digital, but I don't know if that means they are sending out HD signals.

yep. Channel 9 is CBC Windsor :)

I got a reply from Karen Belle, from CBC today in regard to my question about HD on CBC.
I asked her where the physical channels were for channel 9 and where the towers were, seems there are several, in different cities.

Here's her reply:

The Toronto HD channels are 20 for English television and 24 for French
programming from Radio Canada. Montreal channels are 19 for French programming
and 20 for the English network.

CBET channel 9 in Windsor provides the traditional analog broadcast signal. CBC
hasn't yet installed an HD transmitter for Windsor, although it's certainly a
likely location for expansion in coming years.

Kim Belle
CBC Audience Relations

I guess I am out of luck for HNIC in HD at least for a year or so.

Jimbo

CSTV Hikes Football Podcasts

TSN Tackles NFL; Lands Three Year Deal with HD Programming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts