Hold on to your seats folks: The Peacock is riding high in the ratings

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Who would have ever thought it? Not me. Not even NBC. But...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/22/b...nfamiliar-territory-on-top.html?smid=pl-share

The television network landscape has an upside-down look this fall: NBC, last among younger viewers for a decade, is suddenly on top.

Numerous unexpected factors have played a role in this surprising turnaround, some of which are not likely to last, but the numbers are clear. Among the viewers prized by most advertisers — 18- to 49-year-olds — NBC has beaten its network rivals every week of the new television season.

That’s three weeks, and NBC is in contention to post a fourth victory when the Nielsen accounting is official on Tuesday. (CBS, as it has for years, remains well ahead in terms of the total number of viewers.)

It was bound to happen again eventually. Everybody has its ups and downs. Which shows are helping them this new season?

I turned NBC off on the PTAT feature on my hopper ,because I only watch about 3 primetime shows on that network. I got tired of having to delete all the shows I don't watch on this network. Same for FOX this week since the World Series is playing all week.

And the Voice is not a LONG-TERM solution for them. People will bore of it eventually. While Revolution is holding its own in the ratings, they are not the ratings that long-term success is built on.

Not only that but Revolution is a self-destructive serial. Its very plot paints itself into a corner. Once they get the power back on (presumably at the end of this season), they have nowhere to go with it next season.. Nowhere that won't earn it a mid-season cancellation anyway. So consider that gone next year. They should've just done it as a miniseries in 2 hour blocks.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

Not only that but Revolution is a self-destructive serial. Its very plot paints itself into a corner. Once they get the power back on (presumably at the end of this season), they have nowhere to go with it next season.. Nowhere that won't earn it a mid-season cancellation anyway. So consider that gone next year. They should've just done it as a miniseries in 2 hour blocks.

You REALLY think they will get the power turned on at seasons end and effectively END the show ?

That would be suicide.

I can see them getting power on in spurts, just enough to keep it interesting.

I said the same thing after the first episode. But this show is lacking in credible details that make the show more believable. So even a movie or mini series would be the same lack of details, but it would be over with quickly. You know it will lead to cancellation some time next year, as the public gets tired of this fantastic plot that would never happen .

I will have to say that the wife is watching a lot more NBC these days(I don't watch much network channels myself).

A large part of TV momentum is cross promotion. The Olympics really did help NBC's fall season. They promoted shows that people never would have thought to watch because they did not watch NBC and know about them. Once they got them started watching they are able to promote their other shows. NBC was a powerhouse because Seinfeld and Friends, hooking in people for those 2 shows got their other shows promoted.

MikeD-C05 said:
I said the same thing after the first episode. But this show is lacking in credible details that make the show more believable. So even a movie or mini series would be the same lack of details, but it would be over with quickly. You know it will lead to cancellation some time next year, as the public gets tired of this fantastic plot that would never happen .

Glad I did not waste my time with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)