HOME AND RV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
For 5 year, i set up the dishes (TV & Internet) at each stop, even just an overnight. It didn't take that long.

A couple more things. You will need two coax inputs the the trailer for the Hopper. Most RVs have two coax inputs, one marked Satellite and one marked Cable. The Cable one usually goes to the antenna amplifier plate where is is switched with the antenna feed. You cannot use this cable. I guess you could disconnect it from the antenna plate and extend it.

I recommend adding additional coax inputs. Depending where the Hopper is (like the slide) and the coax inputs are (usually a fixed wall) you might be able to add the additional coax input near the original, and locate the Solo in that area if there is space behind the inputs and use the original cable from the Solo to the Hopper since you do not plan on taking a Joey also.

Otherwise just go through the wall near the Hopper. If I had to do that, I would put a double coax plate there.

While you adding a coax input, the typical TV coax inlet plate with the flip down covers do not have 3 GHz coax barrels, Replaced then with 3 GHz barrels (blue or black centers). They are a little longer so the cover won't close fully but the coax inputs will be protected. The lowest price I found for 3 GHz barrels in Amazon. 10 for .99 plus postage. They are like $6 for one at Lowes.

Also, when buying coax for connecting the dish. Do yourself a favor and get solid copper core dual RG6 cable. The stuff at Home Depot and Lowes is only copper plated. Solid copper core wire isn't always marked as such so look for a rating of "swept for 3 GHZ." I would up getting solid copper core wire online. Because we were using satellite Internet at the time, we carried (2) 100', (2) 50' and (2) 25' sets of wire. I have gone as far as 175'. I like not to use any more length than

If I'm only using the Hopper DVR for the trailer living room would'nt I only need one coax cable from the dish to the sat. imput fitting on the side of the trailer?

If I'm only using the Hopper DVR for the trailer living room wouldn't I only need one coax cable from the dish to the sat. input fitting on the side of the trailer?
Nope, you need two coax cables from the dish to the Solo. You might get through a Switch Check with only one feed but you would be limited to one tuner, maybe two at times, but never three. The 1000.2 dish has three LNBF and each receives signals in two planes. Those six combinations are multiplexed by the switch in the dish head. The coax feed cable from the dish can carry a maximum of two signal combinations. Dish programming is spread over all three satellites so you really need both coax cables.

An add-on about PTAT. If you are only doing weekends, you can use your Locals up to maybe 100-200 from your home. If you are going further, you could change your service location to where you are for the short time. Then you would use the Locals there.

The National Channels are called Distant Network Services and is limited to RV accounts. A RV account is one where you are registered with Dish with a copy of the RV registration. The rules are that you can DNS or Locals, but not both.

I am a full-timer and I use DNS. We travel is spurts of 3-5 days and changing our location every day would be a pain. Also, since I travel through many locations, by using DNS, my timers are always good becuasemy National Channels always have the same number.

Nope, you need two coax cables from the dish to the Solo. You might get through a Switch Check with only one feed but you would be limited to one tuner, maybe two at times, but never three. The 1000.2 dish has three LNBF and each receives signals in two planes. Those six combinations are multiplexed by the switch in the dish head. The coax feed cable from the dish can carry a maximum of two signal combinations. Dish programming is spread over all three satellites so you really need both coax cables.

An add-on about PTAT. If you are only doing weekends, you can use your Locals up to maybe 100-200 from your home. If you are going further, you could change your service location to where you are for the short time. Then you would use the Locals there.

The National Channels are called Distant Network Services and is limited to RV accounts. A RV account is one where you are registered with Dish with a copy of the RV registration. The rules are that you can DNS or Locals, but not both.

I am a full-timer and I use DNS. We travel is spurts of 3-5 days and changing our location every day would be a pain. Also, since I travel through many locations, by using DNS, my timers are always good becuasemy National Channels always have the same number.

Thanks for the reply.... If you left the solo node outside with the dish, would'nt you only need one coax to run into the trailer?

Didn't think of that but yes. You would definitely need to be run solid copper core wire and upgrade the coax barrel connectors to 3 GHz ratings. The run between the Solo and the Hopper needs to be of the highest rating.

You can go 200' from dish LNBF to the Hopper. So, maybe 5' LNBF to Solo and 10'-20' from the input connector to the Hopper. That leaves a potential run of 175' from the Trailer to the dish.

If you ever decind to drive the bedroom TV, then the Solo would need to migrate into the trailer , or, add another coax input for the Solo Client cable.

If you ever decind to drive the bedroom TV, then the Solo would need to migrate into the trailer , or, add another coax input for the Solo Client cable.

he could use a tap inside the trailer to run the bedroom tv and still only have to run one line from the solo node at the dish to the trailer.

I have cable now with Two HD TV's and the only reason I would consider getting Dish is if I could grab one of the HD DVR receivers from the house and put it in our RV ( 5th wheel) with a tripod dish for long week-ends. I guess hopper is out of the question because of RV satellite hook-up problems.So, if I can use one of the DVR's from home in our RV, which DVR's should I get?

Thanks for your post. I will be happy to work through a configuration for you that should provide the service you wish to have.

Depending on how you will use your Dish system, and where you would be in the RV, there are a number of ways to have Dish service.

Typically, RV customers who do not have a mobile dome on the RV use a tripod, which is set up at the camp site, or the Tailgater, which is the better way to get up and running. This setup can go on a special pay-as-you-go account for RVs, and has a Tailgater and VIP211 receiver. DVR receivers are not recommended for RV use, because DVRs ( any company's ) have hard drives which are easily damaged by road vibrations, driving hazards, etc.

While the account would be paid a month in advance (like all Dish accounts), when you stop service, a credit will remain on the account, which can be used when you reactivate the account.

For your home, you could set up a regular account, and For that, you can use either a Hopper /Joey, or VIP receiver setup for the HD/SD viewing in your home. Add a Sling Adapter if you have the receiver hooked up to the DVR, and you can view content remotely, too. You will need a broadband download connection of at least 3Mbps to use the remote viewing features (Dish Remote Access, Dish Online, or streaming via Blockbuster @ Home). The VIP 722k, and Hopper are the best for this application.

Depending on where you travel in your RV, you might be able to view content back at home on your iPad, laptop, and in some cases an internet connected TV. I would only recommend access our online viewing options if you have data capability, and a truly unlimited data plan, if you plan on streaming to a mobile device, though. Overage charges on mobile data plans can be very high. The other consideration with this, is will you have mobile data coverage, and what type in the areas you travel to.

Please feel free to PM me for any help you might need. Our team will help you meet you individual needs.

Didn't think of that but yes. You would definitely need to be run solid copper core wire and upgrade the coax barrel connectors to 3 GHz ratings. The run between the Solo and the Hopper needs to be of the highest rating.

You can go 200' from dish LNBF to the Hopper. So, maybe 5' LNBF to Solo and 10'-20' from the input connector to the Hopper. That leaves a potential run of 175' from the Trailer to the dish.

Thank you so much for your help......

Viewing remote content

Add a Sling Adapter if you have the receiver hooked up to the DVR, and you can view content remotely, too. You will need a broadband download connection of at least 3Mbps to use the remote viewing features (Dish Remote Access, Dish Online, or streaming via Blockbuster @ Home). The VIP 722k, and Hopper are the best for this application.

Beware of this promise. Dish Online has ongoing issues with remote access and remote viewing. Just search this forum for verification. I've had a useless sling adapter for months now, because Dish Online can almost never connect to either of my home DVR's (1 722 and 1 722k). I can't even connect in order to schedule a recording remotely, much less to view TV. This used to work fine until they converted the old Dish Remote Access to the newer Dish Online.

mangles said:
Beware of this promise. Dish Online has ongoing issues with remote access and remote viewing. Just search this forum for verification. I've had a useless sling adapter for months now, because Dish Online can almost never connect to either of my home DVR's (1 722 and 1 722k). I can't even connect in order to schedule a recording remotely, much less to view TV. This used to work fine until they converted the old Dish Remote Access to the newer Dish Online.

Same 2 receivers here, and same problem. My sling adapter worked good the one time the 722k stayed connected for longer than 45 minutes! :rant:

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I'm a bit late to this party, but thought I'd share my experience. I have a Hopper and Joey permanently in my 5th wheel. I used to use a 211k, but changed over when the Hopper came out. I'm real happy with it, but honestly I think you would be better off with a 722 and a 211k and take the 211 with you when you camp. Add the EHD like others have indicated and you have your DVR. Don't know how much experience you have aiming satellites, but it would be a bit tougher with the Hopper. I, like Brussam have been doing this for several years and got real good at it. If you've never done it, the first time will be real interesting.
Another option would be the Winegard Travler. It's a bit pricey, but it does everything for you. It's permanently mounted on the 5th wheel and folds up for travel ... it's footprint is actually lower than a dome system. Just push a button and about 3 minutes later you're watching tv. I have it and I'd never go back to tripods and aiming.
Which ever option you pick, if you're a TV fan, you'll never regret having satellite service with your 5th wheel. We even always took our 211k system when dry camping and never had so much fun. "Roughing it" ... yeah, right. LOL Haven't dry camped yet with our Hopper, but I don't see any issues. And, I've never had an issue with hard drives in the camper. I think as long as the receiver isn't connected to power while traveling, I don't think there would be a problem.

Good luck with whatever system you pick!

Last edited:
So, if I got the 711 & 211 for home would I need two dish's on the roof? Then I guess when we go Rving I would take the 211 With EHD and get a tailgater dish. If you have a RV account and you go rving for two weeks, are you charged for the whole month then get credit for two weeks or you end up paying the whole month?

So, if I got the 711 & 211 for home would I need two dish's on the roof? Then I guess when we go Rving I would take the 211 With EHD and get a tailgater dish. If you have a RV account and you go rving for two weeks, are you charged for the whole month then get credit for two weeks or you end up paying the whole month?

That's a 722 and 211k (get the 211k, it's much smaller than the plain 211). Only one dish required (it has 3 lnbs). And you would have the single cable you mentioned earlier. I don't have a RV account, just an additional Hopper and Joey on my home account. We don't full time or even spend a lot of time, mostly 3 to 5 day trips at a time or else I would have the RV account.

One other important note: If your RV dish is the tailgater or any of the dome dishes that you just set out and they set up, be aware that when you switch channels, it may take a moment or so for the dish to switch to the correct satellite as they only have a single lnb, and HD channels are generally on a different satellite. If you think you can work out the aligning thing, get a 1000.2 dish and use a tripod with your fifth wheel. Just some food for thought.

You can get more information on how the RV thing works by calling the Dish RV support line: 888-854-9535.

Hope that helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)