Status
Not open for further replies.

mike74820

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
oklahoma
how many folks on this board getting priced out of there homes because of house
insurance rates going up every year?. i know for me, mine has gone up 500 bucks in the last 3 years alone.

That's a $41 a month difference. In these times, that could be a lot, maybe not..... Maybe it's time you shopped around.

Florida rates have gone up because of hurricanes but my home is paid for. But, be careful shopping around. It's not so much what you pay but how the insurance company is rated. You can get dirt cheap rates but that doesn't matter if they won't pay . And just like car insurance you should never make small claims .

If you can purchase home insurance from your workplace or some association you belong to, take that route. You'll probably pay less than a policy you could buy on your own.

not enough info....

Are you making claims? If so, are the claims non-weather related?
Are the new rates comparable to other insurers?

no claims at all here. ive got quotes from all over and they all are around 1500 too 2000 a year. in 2004 it was 668 for the year. just to much of and increase as ive not had a raise in 3 years and electric, food, car gas and every thing else is gone up but not my income. my house payment was 430 in 2004 it will close to 555 next year if i cant find insurance much cheaper. bought my house for 69500 now they saying on all the quotes that it'll take 150k to rebuild which is a crock for a 1200 foot house in oklahoma.

Mine has never gone up and I've been at the same residence for 4 years.

Just for comparisons sake, I live in 2k square foot bungalow, 3 bedroom home built in 1950 and pay just $30/month.

As for property taxes, that's another story. Those seem to go up every year.

Its interesting to see rates seem to be all over the place. I live in an 1100 sq foot bungalow, built in 1944, when I moved in 23 years ago the yearly insurance bill was $260(I still have that bill), now its $850, no claims ever. I figure its reasonable, judging from the home's value then and its replacement cost now.
OP, how about what your neighbours are paying, are they seeing similar increases?

Been in my same house 30 years and with the same ins. co. all that time. About 2K ft2, average construction. I have full replacement guarantee (structure and contents, minus the deductible) with automatic indexing. I paid $586 this year. Started out at about $300 if memory serves. 2 minor claims over the years, last one about 15 years ago. (I also have high liability limits and an unbrella policy over that...)

I've heard of people getting priced out of their homes by taxes, but never due to insurance.

I pay $822 for a 2100 sq ft home built in 1979. I bought it 23 years ago and the bill has gone up a total of $300.

Mine has never gone up and I've been at the same residence for 4 years.

Just for comparisons sake, I live in 2k square foot bungalow, 3 bedroom home built in 1950 and pay just $30/month.

As for property taxes, that's another story. Those seem to go up every year.
Who is your insurer?

We live in the same neighborhood....I have a 1500 sq ft bungalow, 3 beds, 2 bath, built in 1950 as well. I'm paying Allstate $650/year.

Who is your insurer?

We live in the same neighborhood....I have a 1500 sq ft bungalow, 3 beds, 2 bath, built in 1950 as well. I'm paying Allstate $650/year.

Call Bill Vrabel (Mike Vrabel's brother) with Grange Insurance. He's got an office in Northfield.

His number is 440-468-4070

For homeowners packaged with auto, Travelers is the cheapest I've found. I had another agent here yesterday to give me a quote. I showed here my Travelers HO and she said "pay it and run!"

Actually, if you're eligible, I don't think you're going to beat USAA for their insurance and other products.

bhelms- Your PA rates are very close to what my Dad paid last year in PA. The rates are extremely cheap in PA.

Home owner's Insurance is one of the few very high cost requirements we have here. My house is 2000 sq ft too and Last year we shopped the best we could and that was $1750. The company( Travelers- KAB)we had prior to that jacked our rates from $1600 to $2350 from 2008 to 2009. Never had any claims.
When did we have our last hurricane in Jacksonville? 1964 The problem is we are told it has to do with the claims filed in Florida for Hurricane Andrew mostly and Florida residents have paid dearly since. The good news is we only pay a fraction of real estate taxes here. I pay $468 for county and school tax. My Dad paid nearly $6000 for those taxes in 2008 in PA. His home was 1100 Sq FT but on 4 acres. We sold it last April for $250,000. My home here in FL has an appraised value of $240,000. So, when I do the end of the day cost to live here, I take my high insurance rates over PA any time.

In OK, I think the insurance companies are hitting you up on Tornado risk. There have been huge losses in Tornado alley last couple of years so you get to pay for living there.

bhelms- Your PA rates are very close to what my Dad paid last year in PA. The rates are extremely cheap in PA.

Home owner's Insurance is one of the few very high cost requirements we have here. My house is 2000 sq ft too and Last year we shopped the best we could and that was $1750. The company( Travelers- KAB)we had prior to that jacked our rates from $1600 to $2350 from 2008 to 2009. Never had any claims.
When did we have our last hurricane in Jacksonville? 1964 The problem is we are told it has to do with the claims filed in Florida for Hurricane Andrew mostly and Florida residents have paid dearly since. The good news is we only pay a fraction of real estate taxes here. I pay $468 for county and school tax. My Dad paid nearly $6000 for those taxes in 2008 in PA. His home was 1100 Sq FT but on 4 acres. We sold it last April for $250,000. My home here in FL has an appraised value of $240,000. So, when I do the end of the day cost to live here, I take my high insurance rates over PA any time.

In OK, I think the insurance companies are hitting you up on Tornado risk. There have been huge losses in Tornado alley last couple of years so you get to pay for living there.

Wow, I paid over $300,000 for my home and my insurance is not even close to that. You must have a low deductible or something.

how many folks on this board getting priced out of there homes because of house
insurance rates going up every year?. i know for me, mine has gone up 500 bucks in the last 3 years alone.

In the last 4 years, my State Farm home insurance has gone from $357.00 a year to $1,169.00 a year, just last week at renewal time. It's jumped about $200 per year. They also just upped my deductible from $500, to $1,000 for each claim (if I had one) I haven't changed a thing. The house is only worth around $140,000.

They also have the insurance for 3 cars from me, so I supposedly get better rates for that. However, since the house insurance has now tripled, I'm going to try shopping around again. That's just a ridiculous increase, when the accessed value of my home has actually gone down every year since 2005. Not that I could sell it, even if I wanted to. Nobody around here is buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.