Home made Projector Screen

richardmb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Berwyn IL.
OK I hope this isn't a really dumb question so here goes. My wife is starting her own company . It's to help Adults and their children with disabilities .We just bought a projector (View Sonic PJ402D DLP Projector) To help with presentations.Has it turns out this unit will Display 720p and 1080I Is their any way for me to build my own screen using wood for a base with a special paint covering that is used just for this purpose? any help would be appreciated.

Yea I think your right I see walmart has them for about 79 bucks. As far as screen size goes right now I have a 32" crt. I'd like to at least go up to 48" This Projector would only be used for movies once a week and Chicago Bears Games.
It says the bulb is good for 2000 hrs. is that about the norm I was also wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to a HR20 For HD if I'm only going to be using it infrequently. is 2,000 ANSI lumens & Contrast ratio 2000 to 1 any good Thanks in advance.

I am not too familiar with the ViewSonic PJ402D, but when researching it at Projector Central and using the image calculator you might be able to get an even bigger screen like maybe a 77" or 92" for 16x9 or a 72" or 84" for a video format all in a HC Matte White; depending on the distance you have. I would mount on the ceiling if at all possible; that's how mine are. http://www.da-lite.com/products/product.php?cID=9&pID=229 or http://www.da-lite.com/products/product.php?cID=9&pID=237

Also, not all screens are the same nor should they be evaluated by price; I would get the relevant specs from the Wal-Mart offering and compare it to a quality product from Da-Lite or another top quality maker.

Last edited:
You can build a wood frame out of 1x4 (be sure and put some supports in the back) and get some blackout cloth from your local fabric store. Works great. Make your screen as big as you can using the 16x9 format. Use an HD signal and you will be very pleased.

x1hdtv said:
You can build a wood frame out of 1x4 (be sure and put some supports in the back) and get some blackout cloth from your local fabric store. Works great. Make your screen as big as you can using the 16x9 format. Use an HD signal and you will be very pleased.

What color is the blackout cloth. Do you just build the frame and stretch the cloth over it? I just ordered some special paint that's gonna cost me about 125 bucks. Your suggestion sounds like it's alot more mobile and inexpensive too.

The blackout cloth is black, and will go around (just outside) the screen area; aids in contrast. What size are you trying to build; I paid around $200 for my factory built portable 106".

Last edited:
60" dia. screen, I've been looking at diffrent site's and did not see any HD screen's for under $ 250.00 . If I can ask, were did you get yours. I've checked out some web sites and ones you showed me but didn't see any at that price. This is starting to add up in cost I was thinking of using this about twice a week Right now I have an R10. and I wonder if it would it be worth it to upgrade to an Hr20 if I'm only going to be using it on a limited bases. Theirs the extra cost for the dvr the HD service, 2 year commitment and all the talk about D*'s hd lite.:confused:

4:3, 16:9 or general video aspect ratio? If you were looking at the original factory Da-Lite link, those are MSRP prices; not street. See below.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts