Home Media Center Update:

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Everything above should be read and any valid confusion I would be glad to read and correct but this above is as simple as it gets and if its hard to understand this isn't the topic for you.

If they've gone coax since I spoke with Ucentric in March it's a huge mistake and a costly one at that. And it wasn't a CSR Longhorn.

The wireless connection is provided via a wireless adapter to the USB ports on the units and they will communicate via an external wireless switch not a switch inside the media server. This same connectivity can be provided by a USB 2.0 to ethernet adapter which can then be connected to a standard ethernet switch, and the units set themselves up using standard DHCP recognition as the connectivity standards for wireless N are required to be that way for compatibility throughout all adapters the connectivity identification smarts are in the Server and Client Middleware not the connectivity device be it a wireless or wired adapter. That is not speculative in any way. The units simply ignore unauthorized connections. So we're probably both right. It's all in the software which is designed to recognize only specific items on the LAN. Whether the media is directed from storage to the HMC and then out to the clients or directly to the clients is irrelivant. It's all in the networking protocol. Connectivity is the same be it wired or wireless when you delve into networking compatibility standards. Wireless is a simpler alternative, but wireless is not the only alternative nor should it be as wired provides better security to the system.

This is probably the answer folks are looking for right here:

Do you need a LAN? No. Would it be a good idea to have one? Yes. If you have one, you're good. If you're dropping new wires, yes add an extra CAT-5e for each anticipated location - You should be dropping 3 CAT5a and 3 RG-6 to each media location anyway - this is recommended as a minimum - Drop two bundled sets to each heavy media area if you like to make sure you never run out of cabling, consider fiber from the curb to the hub. The new home wiring we provide as a service to builders usually includes the dual bundle to Media Niches and Master Bedrooms, and fiber/CAT5e or 6/RG-6 bundle from the consumer interface to the hub. If getting RG-6 to each desired location is a problem, wait for wireless - Don't go making your house look like it's wrapped in cables. It's hidious.

Prices sound very questionable for all equipment and services... First impression was it sounded very expensive, after all D* is charging for HD ST.

$500 for the HMC Storage device seems a little low, but it's probbaly subsidised. Even a simple LAN hard drive is $300-400 with no functionality other than DHCP and Storage, then you need to add to that tuners. Certainly cheaper than subsidising multiple HD DVR's. As for the Clients... My guess would be $100-150 range for HD and $50-100 for SD.

LonghornXP said:
From what I've seen and yes I've seen the prototype in person it will have the following features below.

Hardware features will include the following below.
350 or 400GB hard drive.

Any idea how much HD time those disk sizes represent in MPEG4?

Skyboss said:
Everything above should be read and any valid confusion I would be glad to read and correct but this above is as simple as it gets and if its hard to understand this isn't the topic for you.

If they've gone coax since I spoke with Ucentric in March it's a huge mistake and a costly one at that. And it wasn't a CSR Longhorn.

The wireless connection is provided via a wireless adapter to the USB ports on the units and they will communicate via an external wireless switch not a switch inside the media server. This same connectivity can be provided by a USB 2.0 to ethernet adapter which can then be connected to a standard ethernet switch, and the units set themselves up using standard DHCP recognition as the connectivity standards for wireless N are required to be that way for compatibility throughout all adapters the connectivity identification smarts are in the Server and Client Middleware not the connectivity device be it a wireless or wired adapter. That is not speculative in any way. The units simply ignore unauthorized connections. So we're probably both right. It's all in the software which is designed to recognize only specific items on the LAN. Whether the media is directed from storage to the HMC and then out to the clients or directly to the clients is irrelivant. It's all in the networking protocol. Connectivity is the same be it wired or wireless when you delve into networking compatibility standards. Wireless is a simpler alternative, but wireless is not the only alternative nor should it be as wired provides better security to the system.

This is probably the answer folks are looking for right here:

Do you need a LAN? No. Would it be a good idea to have one? Yes. If you have one, you're good. If you're dropping new wires, yes add an extra CAT-5e for each anticipated location - You should be dropping 3 CAT5a and 3 RG-6 to each media location anyway - this is recommended as a minimum - Drop two bundled sets to each heavy media area if you like to make sure you never run out of cabling, consider fiber from the curb to the hub. The new home wiring we provide as a service to builders usually includes the dual bundle to Media Niches and Master Bedrooms, and fiber/CAT5e or 6/RG-6 bundle from the consumer interface to the hub. If getting RG-6 to each desired location is a problem, wait for wireless - Don't go making your house look like it's wrapped in cables. It's hidious.

Prices sound very questionable for all equipment and services... First impression was it sounded very expensive, after all D* is charging for HD ST.

$500 for the HMC Storage device seems a little low, but it's probbaly subsidised. Even a simple LAN hard drive is $300-400 with no functionality other than DHCP and Storage, then you need to add to that tuners. Certainly cheaper than subsidising multiple HD DVR's. As for the Clients... My guess would be $100-150 range for HD and $50-100 for SD.

I don't know where your getting your info from but mine has come from directly inside D* and I'm more inclined to believe D* about their own box than I am Ucentric because again Ucentric is only making the software they aren't making the box nor the design of the box. Now I don't know all the specifics but I know enough from D* directly that what you said above isn't correct even though bits of it are.

k2ue said:
Any idea how much HD time those disk sizes represent in MPEG4?

It will vary based on the broadcast format. A 720p signal will use less space than a 1080i signal.

Now a 400GB drive should store about 60-100 hours of MPEG4 HD at full resolution. Now if you throw in ATSC OTA HD and MPEG2 HD recordings you will get less but I'm sure you know this by now. I think the 100 hours would be pushing it if you recording everything using MPEG4 from a 720p source.

Right now that is the general idea but we don't know the specific bitrates D* would use for MPEG4 HD broadcasts and its the bitrate that would provide less or more space for recordings.

To give you an idea D* could fit a full bandwidth HDNet 1080i feed in MPEG4 in the same amount of space D* currently puts HDNet in in 1280x1080 format with the MPEG4 feed even getting a higher bitrate as well.

LonghornXP said:
I don't know where your getting your info from but mine has come from directly inside D* and I'm more inclined to believe D* about their own box than I am Ucentric because again Ucentric is only making the software they aren't making the box nor the design of the box. Now I don't know all the specifics but I know enough from D* directly that what you said above isn't correct even though bits of it are.

What do you mean bits? Clearly your username "LonghornXP" has no correlation to your understanding of in home Broadband networking integration, software negotitation or the associated products. You completely disregard the simple connectivity design of broadband components in favor of what "your insider" has told you. Ever consider your "insider" doesn't know jack and/or is blowing smoke up your tailpipe?

Skyboss said:
What do you mean bits? Clearly your username "LonghornXP" has no correlation to your understanding of in home Broadband networking integration, software negotitation or the associated products. You completely disregard the simple connectivity design of broadband components in favor of what "your insider" has told you. Ever consider your "insider" doesn't know jack and/or is blowing smoke up your tailpipe?

I believe the "bits" he is referencing is referring to his opinion that certain part of what you are say he finds to be accurate, but takes issue with other things.

Bits in this situation is not referring to network traffic or data thoroughput as I read his statement.

[LonghornXP] ...I don't know all the specifics but I know enough from D* directly that what you said above isn't correct even though bits of it are.

All this is worth about 2 bits till something is actually released isn't it?

But in the meantime, I don't think we should be in a contest to see who has the more accurate information, and more importantly shouldn't get flamed for sharing info on the forum.

I appreciate any info I can get and I realize that anything can change.

Chado said:
All this is worth about 2 bits till something is actually released isn't it?

But in the meantime, I don't think we should be in a contest to see who has the more accurate information, and more importantly shouldn't get flamed for sharing info on the forum.

I appreciate any info I can get and I realize that anything can change.

Here, Here Chado...
I totally agree with you on all points... espically the flaming issue.

riggscm said:
I believe the "bits" he is referencing is referring to his opinion that certain part of what you are say he finds to be accurate, but takes issue with other things.

Bits in this situation is not referring to network traffic or data thoroughput as I read his statement.

Correct! I was talking about bits as in some of the information he said was correct while other information wasn't. The bottom line is that the multiroom viewing features will be connected via coax. The cable that is used doesn't do the networking its a chip in the device whatever it may be that does the networking. With that said the data can be sent over any type of cable we can think of as long as the two devices on each end of the cable have networking chips to interpret and act on the data received.

Also in reply to another poster named SkyBoss I never claimed to be an expert in networking and you would be mislead by my screen name because even if you know that LonghornXP is Microsoft you don't seem to know that I'm a die hard mac fan and own three mac computers and an ipod to go along with it. My screen name is more my hatred for Microsoft in general and I tend to like to fuel my passions which happens to be HDTV.

One lesson don't judge a book by its cover. Remember that even more when you don't know who the person is either because I won't judge you because I don't know you and I would like the same respect. Now what I said wasn't a flame because I do know most of the specifics and I've seen a working almost complete prototype in person with my own eyes and I was close enough to even use the damn remote on it so yes I flat out said some of your info was wrong.

I'm really a "virgin" here. Nothing is for sure as far as D* goes. All info is to be taken with a "grain of salt". Even Robert of VE has stated that what he "heard" is different from LonghornXP about the update.

Until D* does their thing & makes a statment (sometimes we notice a program is on-then D* says "Guess what _____ is now on!") please don't flame. But I also ask that any "rumor" have some kind of "truth" or link.

So why has no-one that is an installer etc has said..."we have the larger dish & 5/LNB's and multi-switches etc" ready & have been trained to install.....what, they just show up in Aug?.....NFL season starts in less than 2 months....if they don't have the dishes, LNB's, multi-switches,HD-DVR's, HD-STB's. etc now.........and the 1st group is under half of the HD sub's upgrade........no one has "leaked" any info on the HD-DVR's? D* is going to take care of all these subs in just less than 2 months?.......no info about the 1st satellite launched in May, no info about DirecTV8.........& by the way, rumor is.......the 1st group will be "done" before the NFL season starts?....sorry. but I'm starting to second guess.....this all may start to happen in 2007.........prove me wrong someone, please! If not, I'm dropping everything............just plain old OTA & watch my DVD's and (yup-another war..HD on DVD)...........I'll give 'em a few months......then I'll "caulk" the holes in my roof.........& wait for fiber-optics....

Barney :(

Barney

Barneypoo69 said:
I'm really a "virgin" here. Nothing is for sure as far as D* goes. All info is to be taken with a "grain of salt". Even Robert of VE has stated that what he "heard" is different from LonghornXP about the update.

Until D* does their thing & makes a statment (sometimes we notice a program is on-then D* says "Guess what _____ is now on!") please don't flame. But I also ask that any "rumor" have some kind of "truth" or link.

So why has no-one that is an installer etc has said..."we have the larger dish & 5/LNB's and multi-switches etc" ready & have been trained to install.....what, they just show up in Aug?.....NFL season starts in less than 2 months....if they don't have the dishes, LNB's, multi-switches,HD-DVR's, HD-STB's. etc now.........and the 1st group is under half of the HD sub's upgrade........no one has "leaked" any info on the HD-DVR's? D* is going to take care of all these subs in just less than 2 months?.......no info about the 1st satellite launched in May, no info about DirecTV8.........& by the way, rumor is.......the 1st group will be "done" before the NFL season starts?....sorry. but I'm starting to second guess.....this all may start to happen in 2007.........prove me wrong someone, please! If not, I'm dropping everything............just plain old OTA & watch my DVD's and (yup-another war..HD on DVD)...........I'll give 'em a few months......then I'll "caulk" the holes in my roof.........& wait for fiber-optics....

Barney :(

Barney

The dishes are all waiting in warehouses. Training won't be much different. If the installer can install the 3LNB dish he should have no problem installing the new dish because the two extra LNBs will all be in one package and will be designed so that if you can get the proper signal strength on the current three sats the new sats would be locked in very well.

Also just because info hasn't leaked on the new boxes doesn't mean they aren't done or very close to done. Also they can get this done quickly and if you don't think so just look at how quickly Fox installed splicers into all of their fox stations. It was a matter of months and that was much more work than getting customers dishes upgraded. Also the Fox splicer system was being designed for a good year before we even knew it existed so that should tell you how good News Corp is at hiding stuff they don't want us to know about.

All in good time again.

Longhorn, what new are you hearing about the non-HMC HD-DVR? When may I expect to see one of those suckers in my livingroom?

riggscm said:
I think you'd need the expressed written consent of Jamie and Adam to be 100% legal ;)
Even for personal use? I know...but you know what Im trying to say...I love that show!!!

DixonJDixon said:
Longhorn, what new are you hearing about the non-HMC HD-DVR? When may I expect to see one of those suckers in my livingroom?

I'm hearing late summer at best and early fall at worst assuming things don't blow apart in between. The HMC should be out a few months later and it seems that they are pushing to have the rollout of the HMC for Christmas season but if things get slowed up expect a small test rollout by Christmas and the regular rollout around the middle of the month on Jan 06. Now as of today if things go on average with normal slowdowns we should have the rollout sometime in early December. I know I'm giving many timeframes here but I'm trying to give you an idea of time with various delays.

LonghornXP said:
The dishes are all waiting in warehouses. Training won't be much different. If the installer can install the 3LNB dish he should have no problem installing the new dish because the two extra LNBs will all be in one package and will be designed so that if you can get the proper signal strength on the current three sats the new sats would be locked in very well.

Also just because info hasn't leaked on the new boxes doesn't mean they aren't done or very close to done. Also they can get this done quickly and if you don't think so just look at how quickly Fox installed splicers into all of their fox stations. It was a matter of months and that was much more work than getting customers dishes upgraded. Also the Fox splicer system was being designed for a good year before we even knew it existed so that should tell you how good News Corp is at hiding stuff they don't want us to know about.

All in good time again.

Any idea how the new dish is mounted? With any luck it will just be a matter of taking off the old one and installing the new one on the existing mount. Mine is on a chimney which requires getting on the roof, if the HMC comes out at the end of 2005 beginning of 2006 I'll have to wait until spring unless it's a mild winter, I'm in the upper Midwest and roofs can be very snow packed that time of year.

The bottom line is that the multiroom viewing features will be connected via coax.

Instead of using the term "will" the appropriate term is "can". Because it "can" also be connected via a LAN. You use a definative when in reality it's not the only way to connect it.

Skyboss, LonghornXP Please i ask both of you despit what u may or may not know about the HMC can we just sit back and wait till D releases the specs on the hardware. I love all the inside info and possibilites but rite now we dont know the exact final specs so lets just keep an open mind .

LonghornXP said:
Also they can get this done quickly and if you don't think so just look at how quickly Fox installed splicers into all of their fox stations. It was a matter of months and that was much more work than getting customers dishes upgraded. Also the Fox splicer system was being designed for a good year before we even knew it existed so that should tell you how good News Corp is at hiding stuff they don't want us to know about.

All in good time again.

LonghornXP, my local FOX is O&O, they have had the "splicer" for over a year. (when FOX supplied? engineer at my local FOX....no infor-maybe July 2005).we still cannont get the OTA unless you live right under the tower. They are broadcasting at 800 watts. Austin, Texas........we are still waiting....so done quickly doesn't worK...........I'm 15 miles from the towers....still waiting........... Here's link from AVS about my local HD OTA:

Austin, Texas

Barney

Barneypoo69 said:
LonghornXP, my local FOX is O&O, they have had the "splicer" for over a year. (when FOX supplied? engineer at my local FOX....no infor-maybe July 2005).we still cannont get the OTA unless you live right under the tower. They are broadcasting at 800 watts. Austin, Texas........we are still waiting....so done quickly doesn't worK...........I'm 15 miles from the towers....still waiting........... Here's link from AVS about my local HD OTA:

Austin, Texas

Barney

Your problem is a different reason which is low power not how fast they could install the splicer. Now if your Fox station is indeed an O&O station and not a Sinclair station for example I would guess you would have a better shot of it being on the satellite with perfect signal strength before you can get it OTA.

Skyboss said:
The bottom line is that the multiroom viewing features will be connected via coax.

Instead of using the term "will" the appropriate term is "can". Because it "can" also be connected via a LAN. You use a definative when in reality it's not the only way to connect it.

True but for the first year it will only be installed by D* via coax and that is what I was trying to point out. But you are right that it can connect via other means including the above but it only matters how D* will install it and support it . When it first comes out and you install it via say wireless D* will not provide support for it because it won't be an approved connection as they would call it.

Now as with anything new things could and most likely will change from year to year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)