Home theater in a box

bundyman

Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Hello to all. I would like information on small home theater systems like the Samsung HT-H5530.
I would like to hear from people that have this system or something similar to find out what the sound and
picture quality is like and how you like the system overall. It is currently on sale at newegg for $399.99.
I know it will not sound like a two or three thousand dollar system but if the sound is any good I was planning
on buying one. hope to here from you soon thank you Lou.

Hi Bundyman. Welcome to Satelliteguys :welcome2

The advantage to a HTIB system is convenience. It's all there and it is simple to plug together and make it work.

The big disadvantage is flexibility. These systems tend to fail when you want to add to them or when you want to upgrade

I downloaded the manual and took a quick look. This is what I observed.

1. The unit does not do video switching, and only limited audio switching. You will have issues connecting something like a ROKU box or a DVR.
2. There is only 1 channel of audio input, either digital or analog.
3. The unit does support audio return channel. You need to be careful tith this though because many TVs will only support ARC for the TV tuner and not for any other input.

That says the preferred configuration is to do the switching with the TV's inputs and then use the HTIB for audio. That places a lot of the burden on the TV to provide the audio path, either through the HDMI ARC, the digital output or the red and white analog outputs. The analog outputs will probably be stereo only and that is true in many cases for the optical output as well.

The amplifier for the subwoofer is in the unit and the sub is not powered. This means you won't be able to upgrade the sub at a later date, and if you decide to upgrade the receiver, this sub won't work and you would need to upgrade subs at the same time. Specs are non-existant, but I suspect the sub is probably just the bass section of the main speakers and will not give you real bass. Probably only goes down to 100 Hz or so.

Many people have issues with wireless surrounds. They tend to cut in and out and they interfere with wireless routers or other electronics. Basically don't count on this feature and be prepared to wire the rears if necessary.

Not trying to put down the system. It is cheap enough and may carry you through a couple of years. I prediuct you will eventually outgrow it though and at that time you will most likely need to replace the entire system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts