Home Theater Mag 1/25/05

ddlsmith

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2004
VOOM and Gloom

By Darryl Wilkinson

January 24, 2005 — Cablevision's recent announcement of the pending sale of the VOOM satellite (along with other assets related to VOOM) to Echostar Communications Corp. (DISH Network) should cause a twinge of sadness in the hearts of all HDTV lovers. Whether you admired VOOM's pluck in attempting to go against the two established satellite services (DISH Network and DIRECTV) or thought that Cablevison Chairman Charles Dolan must have been smoking something beyond cigars when he came up with the idea for an HD-centric satellite service, the virtually certain discontinuation of VOOM (Echostar will most likely use the satellite to expand its own channel offerings) is no happy event. During its brief existence, VOOM brought more high-definition content into the homes of its approximately 26,000 subscribers than all other providers put together (cable, satellite, and over-the-air terrestrial broadcast). As many a pair of eyeballs with HDTVs sitting in front of them know, HD content is an addiction that continually demands to be satisfied. Where, oh where, will we now go to get our daily HD fix?

Analysts way smarter than I am have generally given two or three explanations for VOOM's demise. One reason, they say, is that the TV-watching world simply wasn't ready for such an HD-centric service. Furthermore, they opine, it was virtually impossible for VOOM to catch up to the near-insurmountable lead in total subscribers (and thus profitability) held by DIRECTV and DISH Network. Finally, there is the feeling that in the "post-Enron financial climate", the board of Cablevision was unwilling to continue absorbing the huge losses VOOM was racking up for fear of investor lawsuits. I don't doubt that those factors weighed heavily in the VOOM's failure to reach critical mass.

A couple more things to consider.

But I think there are two additional elements that have been overlooked - or at least underestimated - in the sad VOOM story. First is the content itself. While gorgeous, most of the HD content available on VOOM was niche-oriented. I particularly enjoyed the World Cinema channel, but I know the majority of the American public would wear out the channel change buttons on the remote trying to find a more down-home, mind-numbing offering. In terms of total popularity, Kung Fu HD (the first-ever 24/7 network devoted to martial arts) and Divine HD (the first gay and lesbian movie channel) probably received a similarly tepid reception. Ditto for Gallery HD (artistic masterpieces from around the world) and Auction HD (an inside look at exclusive live auctions). What VOOM really needed to distinguish itself was some sort of exclusive HD sport deal (similar to DIRECTV's lock on satellite broadcasts of the NFL) - something in addition to exclusive HD coverage of international soccer on WorldSport HD. Considering Cablevision's history and current sports franchise ownership, I'm sure they were pursuing such a deal. Unfortunately they ran out of time and money.

There but for the grace of TiVo go I...

In my mind, though, the most important thing that could have made VOOM a contender was an high-definition digital video recorder (DVR) - or at least a standard-def DVR. The majority of the high-end, early adopting viewers for whom VOOM could have been the perfect HD provider can no more conceive of watching TV without a DVR than they could going without a cell phone. It simply won't happen.

So, as visionary as the dream was, more than anything I think VOOM was felled - like the Martians in War of the Worlds - by something seemingly small but incredibly powerful. Let this be a lesson to broadcasters, cable companies, and Hollywood movie moguls: ignore the power of the DVR at your peril, or your business model may be vooming to its demise.

I have to agree with the latter statement about a lack of DVR being a contributing factor. I have several friends who al have HDTV's and none of them were willing to switch to Voom until they had a DVR. They were not will to give up their DVR's for more HD content. I personally have both Voom ( been here almost since the beginning) and D* with Tivo. Most of my freinds were not willing to pay for 2 services at the same time and were waiting for Voom's DVR. I am still the eternal optimist and am clining to the hope that Voom survives in some fashion. I am Behind Charles all the way. Thanks for all the months of great PQ and programming I have enjoyed thus far.

Frank

I'm with you Cfrank10,

Just last night I went to see my son play basketball. I used my D* DVR to record 24. Had I been at home, I would have watched it on the VOOM box. But most are not willing to have 2 services/dishes etc.

I simply look at my HDTV's as being monitors capable of showing me the highest quality pictures available. D*, E*, or VOOM are the content providors. I will buy content from whoever offers what I want to view on my display.

While the original content on VOOM was certainly an exciting venture VOOM was the only service to offer all 10 Premium Movie Channels in HD. (HBO East & West, Max E&W,Starz E&W, Showtime E&W and Encore & The Movie Channel all in HD) This is something that ANY satellite service or cable provider can provide NOW if they would. I for one resent the possibility that *D or *E or TWC will provide us with only HBO & Showtime in HD! (and Showtime has the fewest hours of any movie channel in HD)
I simply won't watch a movie in tunnel-vision (standard 4X3) unless it was made before the advent of wide-screen. Those are the standards that VOOM has led me to expect so it looks like I'm off to the DVD store when I want to see a movie in OAR. And how dull it's going to be when the only HD movie channels available are Showtime, HBO, & HDET- 3 HD movie channels instead of VOOM's 20 (10 Premium plus 10 Originals on Cinema 10)

Tvlman said:
While the original content on VOOM was certainly an exciting venture VOOM was the only service to offer all 10 Premium Movie Channels in HD. (HBO East & West, Max E&W,Starz E&W, Showtime E&W and Encore & The Movie Channel all in HD) This is something that ANY satellite service or cable provider can provide NOW if they would. I for one resent the possibility that *D or *E or TWC will provide us with only HBO & Showtime in HD! (and Showtime has the fewest hours of any movie channel in HD)
I simply won't watch a movie in tunnel-vision (standard 4X3) unless it was made before the advent of wide-screen. Those are the standards that VOOM has led me to expect so it looks like I'm off to the DVD store when I want to see a movie in OAR. And how dull it's going to be when the only HD movie channels available are Showtime, HBO, & HDET- 3 HD movie channels instead of VOOM's 20 (10 Premium plus 10 Originals on Cinema 10)
well said

The big question like he said is: "where will we all go now for our HD fix?". I don't understand it...you can hardly buy a TV now in any size that is not an HD, yet there is hardly any HD programming outside of Voom. People have got to realize the difference when they go home and hook up their cable to their new HD TV and expect to see an incredible picture and what they get is a washed out stretched underwater look. My parents have had a 60" Sony 4:3 projection TV for years and SD programming looks pretty decent via a Digital Cable box, but when they plunged for a new 50" DLP and hooked it up to the same box, they were very disappointed. Unfortunately they live in an area with only 3 HD channels through the cable company and they have no desire to switch to satellite. IMO Voom is ahead of everyone else by years, what a shame to see it go:(

From a Voom Supervisor::::

We're going to provide customer's uninterrupted service> .... " thank all customer's for there support "" this is A Quote from a " Voom " supervisor "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)