Homeplug --how do I do it?

ackbar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
central US
I'd like to use the homeplug to connect my computer to my Dish equipment but I have no idea what to do.

I have no networking or wifi equipment.

So, what exactly do I have to get?

I'd like to use the homeplug to connect my computer to my Dish equipment but I have no idea what to do.

hard question to answer without a little more info. what would you like to do? there are many options available and depending on what you want, there may be different answers.

taking your OP at face value. you really can't do too much. you need at least a network of some kind, just to get started.

You would be wasting your time. There is nothing you can do by linking your computer to your Dish receiver.

RickDee said:
You would be wasting your time. There is nothing you can do by linking your computer to your Dish receiver.

Nice answer! Not linking computer, but Internet.
You can access your dvr remotely to set timers, order ppv, among other things.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I didn't say I didn't want to set up a network, I simply don't have any of it and I'm not sure what I need.

What I want to do is watch the tv on the computer, offload stuff from the dvr and possibly load stuff onto the dvr.

My computer only has one ethernet port that the modem plugs into and it only has one ethernet port.

Actually surfing the internet from the tv isn't important to me.

unfortunatly, you can do almost none of that. the only thing you might be able to do is watch the receiver, but that takes a video/audio input card for the PC.

that you can do. you need a card that lets you bring the channel into your PC. you will still need to use the remote to change that channels and stuff like that. Hauppauge is a company that makes cards like that. based on the prices i've seen it's cheaper to just a get small tv and put it next to the PC.

This is a function of the TV tuner card. In general, they come with software to record and they are not that expensive unless you want to record HD in HD (not SD). Most tuner cards these days are hybrids, which means they can record NTSC signals off your Dish receiver in SD, or ATSC signals off your antenna. The latter (ATSC recording) can be done cheaply in HD. Where the expense comes in is if you want to plug your Dish HD receiver into something like a Hauppage HD DVR. This accepts HD signals via component input, digitizes and displays and/or records it to disk.

Now, if you have a VIP receiver, you might also want to buy a router. Plug the router into your modem, and plug everything else into the LAN side of the router. You haven't told us what receiver you have. It's capabilities vary dramatically depending upon which receiver it is.

Well, there you go. If you connect up your 722 to the net along with your PC, then you can use it to get to DishOnline and download thousands of different programs. (Most of the movies cost you, while most of the TV programs do not.) You can also schedule recordings from the Dish Remote Access website. You could also buy a Sling Adapter and stream HD to your PC, regardless of where it is (on the net).

I'm just klutzier than you would guess at working out tech stuff.

So: the power cord goes right into the wall, the computer and the modem go into the router and the router plugs into the Sling Adaptor and it doesn't require a tv tuner card.

I have that right?

So: the power cord goes right into the wall, the computer and the modem go into the router and the router plugs into the Sling Adaptor and it doesn't require a tv tuner card.
Not quite. Your router, whatever it will be, has a wide-area-network port that gets plugged into your cable or DSL modem and takes the place of your PC. Your PC and all other network gear (such as the 722) then gets plugged into your router's local-area-network ports. If you want to use the HomePlug feature of your 722, then you need yet another box such as dhenney recommended above. That is yet another LAN device.

The Sling Adapter for the 722 is an odd contraption. It plugs into the USB port on the 722, from which it gets power. The Sling stream goes out the 722's network connection and does not use a 3rd network port as a standalone Slingbox would. If you do buy a router and a Sling Adapter, then you can watch TV (anything your 722 can play) on your PC.

Thanks, everyone, and I apologize if I seem resolutely thick on these matters.

I still have a couple of questions,

which actually works better, the set up with one adapter and the power plug stuck in the wall, or the setup with two adapters and an ethernet cable?

And, how does the Sling adapter actually work, is it WiFi or does it allow you to access your receiver via the telephone connection through the internet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts