HomePlug

OregonScott

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
I have a 722 and a 622....DSL 1.5.....xe102 netgear homeplug.....Neither one of the receivers will stay on line.....both hook up for about 15 seconds and then drop off. I have tried all the rebooting tricks for both homeplug and receivers......I have the receiver plugged into the same outlet as the main homeplug. I connected a laptop to the to the homeplug with another xe102 and it works great. The xe102 utility disk says I have excellent quality.....14mps with no drops or fails. Help!

Is this the first time you have tried to get it to work, or did it just stop working? The reason I ask is that my DishCOMM just stopped working (according to dish on 8/11). There is a thread here about other folks have similar problems with DishCOMM that did not have it before. My thought is that it is a software issue. Maybe Dish found it necessary to collect some fee income for their earnings release.

I had it working intermittently last week but never continulosly.....I tried tech support for at least 4 hours and they know nothing...never even heard of home plug....finally they sent me to wildblue....who after several hours said it was netgear even after I told them it worked fine with pc's.....they said they have no support for homeplug

Not sure what to tell you. I have just hooked my 722 up with a NETGEAR XE104 last night. It's the 4 port switch HomePlug. I also have my PS3 hooked to it as well. Played around with DishOnline and did several connection test last night. The first few tests said it had a poor connection, but downloaded a program just fine. Checked this morning, and it was still showing that it was online. Ran the connection test again and now it shows my connection to be excel. Could it be an IP issue with your router?

If you can get it to connect again, see what IP address it has. Make sure no other items on your network are using the same address. Also, make sure your wired SSID on your router is named HomePlug.

the IP's are all different....192.168.0.2 192.168.0.3 ect.........I don't know how to check the SSID on hte router

My homeplug experience

I use homeplug on both 622s with the homeplug compatible powerstrip. On the receiver furtherest away from the router I get almost 2mg/sec speed which isnt too bad. Remember everyone measures speed differently so not exactly sure what Dish is measuring. In the room closest to the router and the same homeplug compatible powerstrip the 622 does not recognize the network. I plug in a homeplug outlet into the same homeplug passthrough and the system works fine.

I dont get it as to why some 622s work and some dont. Also I dont have my ssid as homeplug for my router and my system works. Could someone explain why the router ssid is important and should be named homeplug.

JC

It's an Actiontec.......I tried to change the SSID by goings to the IP address....but all I could find to change was the ESSID....and they said it should be the same name as the SSID

ESSID stands for Extended Service Set ID. The ESSID is the identifying name of a wireless network - strictly it is the identifying name of a wireless access point. It allows one wireless network to be clearly distinguishable from another. ESSID is one type of SSID (the other being BSSID). Your router being an Actiontec, your ESSID sshould be Actiontec, or maybe the model name and number of your router. Your SSID for your wired network should be changed to HomePlug. Check out this thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/103982-homeplug-built-into-622-how-cool.html

Your router being an Actiontec, your ESSID sshould be Actiontec, or maybe the model name and number of your router. Your SSID for your wired network should be changed to HomePlug. Check out this thread.
In infrastructure network (with an access point) ESSID is the same thing as SSID. They can't have different names. BSSID is simply MAC address of the WiFi interface of the access point.

Wait a minute . . . would that Netgear work with a LINKSYS router because if so, that is what I've been looking for. You use the electrical power in your house and you can hook up a PS3 and Dish receiver at the same time?

In infrastructure network (with an access point) ESSID is the same thing as SSID. They can't have different names. BSSID is simply MAC address of the WiFi interface of the access point.

I'm sorry your right. I meant the wired network name. All of your PLID devices default network names are HomePlug. If his got changed, it will cause the kind of problem he's having.

Wait a minute . . . would that Netgear work with a LINKSYS router because if so, that is what I've been looking for. You use the electrical power in your house and you can hook up a PS3 and Dish receiver at the same time?

Yes it will. My router is a Linksys.

My essid is actiontec.....but I can't find anywhere to change the ssid also....are you saying they are the same and that I only need to change the ESSID?

I haven't done anything yet.....and one of my 622's is staying on line.....reconnecting by it self......new software from dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)