Hook-up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nigelcaruthers

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2014
charlestom
I just rented a house and it has fairly recent Time Warner cable feeding it.
I'd like to disconnect their feed from the incoming house feed wire box and connect my DirecTV satellite feed to it so I don't have to re-wire the whole damn thing.
I have a Slim-Line single wire dish with a DirecTV HD tuner as well.
It would be nice if it would feed the whole house by just making the connection.

Cheers
nigel

and what cable they used. if its copper clad steel running into the house from the box, you will have issues. for splitters, just buy a replacement D* approved one, they're cheap and will save you a headache.

and what cable they used. if its copper clad steel running into the house from the box, you will have issues. for splitters, just buy a replacement D* approved one, they're cheap and will save you a headache.
Since the TS is using SWM, copper clad has no effect on signal, the only issue is the cable running the PI, and only in longer cable runs

I just rented a house and it has fairly recent Time Warner cable feeding it.
I'd like to disconnect their feed from the incoming house feed wire box and connect my DirecTV satellite feed to it so I don't have to re-wire the whole damn thing.
I have a Slim-Line single wire dish with a DirecTV HD tuner as well.
It would be nice if it would feed the whole house by just making the connection.

Cheers
nigel
If you are not using DIRECTV green label splitters, you are going to have issues. Also, since you have SWM, you need a PI and the cable splitters may not have power pass or they may let power pass to all ports, not a good idea.

More correctly, if it's copper clad steel running into the house, you MIGHT have issues. The only difference between copper clad steel and solid copper core is that CCS has greater voltage losses. If the run from the dish to the power inserter is short enough it will work fine, even though it does not meet DirecTV's installation specs.

More correctly, if it's copper clad steel running into the house, you MIGHT have issues. The only difference between copper clad steel and solid copper core is that CCS has greater voltage losses. If the run from the dish to the power inserter is short enough it will work fine, even though it does not meet DirecTV's installation specs.
How long is too long, I've never had any issues using CCS.

Depending on cable quality for voltage, 80 should be fine. If you have to use CCS, you can always replace 21v with 29v for SWM LNB
I was thinking up to about 120 would be fine ... as for going to the other PI (29v) thats a good idea.

Is there any way that a 29v would cause issues if it's used on a shorter run ?
For example if you have a 29 but not a 21 in the run, and say your 60 foot for example ?

Just wondering how it might effect things with the extra voltage if it were not necessary ...

The 29 volt model can always be used in place of the 21.

The voltage drop in CCS RG6 is more than twice the voltage drop in SCC RG6, so logic says the max distance between the SWM power inserter and the SWM LNB using CCS is about half that with SCC. (For legacy, non-SWM systems the relevant distance is from the furthest receiver to the dish). DirecTv's recommendations for cable length are very conservative, designed to make sure every install will be OK. Peds48 numbers are based I think on DirecTv's recommendations. In reality, people have used CCS with no issues at distances well in excess of 100ft, even up to 200ft although I would be worried about that. Using the 29v PI makes 200ft quite possible I think. But since we are only talking about the run from the PI to the dish, why not use SCC to be certain?
Inside the house it does not matter since the cables don't carry power, and the signal losses on SCC and CCS are identical. DirecTV still uses SCC but I suspect that is so the tech only has to carry one type of cable. For cable runs to a genie client, even Rg59 will work as long as the cable run is not too long because the max signal frequency for whole home is so much lower than regular DirecTV signals.

The voltage drop in CCS RG6 is more than twice the voltage drop in SCC RG6, so logic says the max distance between the SWM power inserter and the SWM LNB using CCS is about half that with SCC. (For legacy, non-SWM systems the relevant distance is from the furthest receiver to the dish). DirecTv's recommendations for cable length are very conservative, designed to make sure every install will be OK. Peds48 numbers are based I think on DirecTv's recommendations. In reality, people have used CCS with no issues at distances well in excess of 100ft, even up to 200ft although I would be worried about that. Using the 29v PI makes 200ft quite possible I think. But since we are only talking about the run from the PI to the dish, why not use SCC to be certain?
Inside the house it does not matter since the cables don't carry power, and the signal losses on SCC and CCS are identical. DirecTV still uses SCC but I suspect that is so the tech only has to carry one type of cable. For cable runs to a genie client, even Rg59 will work as long as the cable run is not too long because the max signal frequency for whole home is so much lower than regular DirecTV signals.

Won't this change with the introduction of the HR54 with the built in power inserter?

Yes, it will be the distance between the H44/HR54 and the LNB that matters.......and saying RG59 "will work for a while" is an installer" urban legend", the characteristics of the cable do not change, and the voltage/power carried by the cable is trivial so won't have any effect on the cable. I certainly would never recommend installing RG59, but if it is already in the house, it's usually not worth replacing it if it's the run to the genie client.

How about if I just do away with the splitter at the T/W box outside before it goes into the house and tie in the DirecTV feed from my dish there?
Not sure what wire is feeding the house but i'll look for any markings and splitter identifications.
The distance from the location where the feed enters the house to the living room outlet isn't very far, maybe 60 ft., but would there be any advantage to getting a 29 v power pack for the dish anyway?
Where's the best place to get one? E-Bay?

In an earlier post "peds48" mentioned a "PI". Does that stand for Power Inserter?

Cheers
nigel

How about if I just do away with the splitter at the T/W box outside before it goes into the house and tie in the DirecTV feed from my dish there?

In an earlier post "peds48" mentioned a "PI". Does that stand for Power Inserter?

Cheers
nigel
absolutely. if you can figure out which line is going the DIRECTV proposed TV location inside the house, you can splice those two together making it one line all the way to the dish. The PI can be bought at eBay

peds48; Thanks.

Thanks to T/W, the wires are marked to each room.
I'll get a 29v p/i as well just to be sure.
I'll get back tomorrow with the wire marking for composition.

Cheers
nigel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts