Hooking up a 5th TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jaelae

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
New Jersey
I tried searching a bit but couldn't find anything to answer my question SO this is what I am getting setup from Dish Network.

I will be getting one 522 , and two 510's . Now I have a 5th TV that will not be used heavily and therefore, I don't see a need to have a receiver for it. Is it possible to wire that TV downstairs to one of my other tv's to share the feed from the receiver to it? I am not 100% sure how these receivers hook up but I was thinking of having the 522 hook up to a tv in one room and the tv in the room next to it. Then dropping a line straight down to one of the rooms so that the receiver will work on both tv's on the same channel. What I am unsure about is how does the dish get wired to each TV. Does it use coaxial cable from the receiver to the tv (at least as an option) cause that way, it seems that it would work. The only thing I would figure out is how to change the channel from the tv split from the receiver.

Thanks for any input! :p

jaelae said:
I tried searching a bit but couldn't find anything to answer my question SO this is what I am getting setup from Dish Network.

I will be getting one 522 , and two 510's . Now I have a 5th TV that will not be used heavily and therefore, I don't see a need to have a receiver for it. Is it possible to wire that TV downstairs to one of my other tv's to share the feed from the receiver to it? I am not 100% sure how these receivers hook up but I was thinking of having the 522 hook up to a tv in one room and the tv in the room next to it. Then dropping a line straight down to one of the rooms so that the receiver will work on both tv's on the same channel. What I am unsure about is how does the dish get wired to each TV. Does it use coaxial cable from the receiver to the tv (at least as an option) cause that way, it seems that it would work. The only thing I would figure out is how to change the channel from the tv split from the receiver.

Thanks for any input! :p
Welcome to SatelliteGuys jaelae,

Both the 510 and 522 have RF (Coaxial) outputs. I have my home wired for video distribution as your asking. The easiest is to use Coax for distribution, just use a splitter on the desired receiver's RF output to TV and run to desired location. Then again you may not have to use a splitter if your using S-Video or Composite the existing connection to the incumbent TV. If your going to run the feed further 20-50ft or further I highly recommend a video distribution amplifier. You can also distribute using the other output types but cost goes up.

Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Jason

Hmm this would be more than perfect since I could split it in one room downstairs for the 2nd output , and run it directly upstairs (it is literally directing above where the receiver will be) then run the other one where it should go.

They will be arriving on Wednesday morning to set all this up so I just wanted to make sure this could be done.

Also, rather than create too many threads - when they come to set everything up, do they go ahead and run cables through walls and such? This may be a stupid question but it is the first time im having professionals install something like this and I am not too sure what to expect.

jaelae said:
Hmm this would be more than perfect since I could split it in one room downstairs for the 2nd output , and run it directly upstairs (it is literally directing above where the receiver will be) then run the other one where it should go.

They will be arriving on Wednesday morning to set all this up so I just wanted to make sure this could be done.

Also, rather than create too many threads - when they come to set everything up, do they go ahead and run cables through walls and such? This may be a stupid question but it is the first time im having professionals install something like this and I am not too sure what to expect.
Well this is dependent on the installer that shows up. If you ordered additional receivers and requested additional outlets then they will run the feed from the dish/switch to the receiver....however if you want them to fish RG6 thru walls, some will decline...some will charge extra...

Jason

I ordered 3 receivers for 4 rooms so I would assume that they would wire all 4 rooms (the 1 receiver for 2 rooms has a wall in between the two). I figure for these 4 they will do this.

Also, as far as remote controls go. With the 522 is there a wired remote control IR receiver of some sorts that would go to the second tv for that second remote control (curious how this works since I am going to try and figure out a way to have a tv above the room work).

Thanks again for everyone's input

Remote 2 of the 522 is an RF (Radio Frequency) remote. It will send signals to your 522 receiver wirelessly thru walls, floors, etc... Note that you mention 1 522 and 2 510's. This equals 3 UHF (RF) remote controls...make sure to set the remote addresses up on separate addresses right away or you end up watching Blues Clues with your kids. Instructions on how to set the remote address is on page 26 of the 510 manual and on page 34 of the 522 manual.

Just as an FYI, My neighbor and I have had dueling remotes, the range is very good if you don't make your addresses unique the remotes will interfere with each other.

Good Luck,
Jason

great news, I could always get a third controller and set it up on the same address as the other 522 for TV 2. Thanks again for your help!

You need to use the 522 to backfeed to the other room. The 510 and 522 both have RF connections, but the 522 has an agile modulator, which means that not only do you have a choice of RF channels besides 3/4, but the output is greater to allow for signal loss due to splitting the signal, etc... so you shouldn't need a distribution amp.

The 522 comes with 2 remotes. One labeled TV1 which is IR and needs to be in the room where the receiver is. The TV2 remote that comes with the 522 is UHF. If you want an additional remote for the little used tv, you can purchase another of these remotes, or take the existing remote to that room.

Be prepared to pay extra for a wall fish. Most dish installers will just punch a hole in the wall and run a cable through it. This is fine, provided they put a plate on the wall to make it look as though an outlet box is there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)