Hooking up a nearby 2nd TV to a Dish receiver???

Gaze

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
So several months ago I switched my dad from COX cable over to a Dish Flex package and everything is going great. All the channels he wants for less monthly fee. COX billing was out of control. He has a VIP221K model receiver according to his "My Equipment' listing on his Dish account.

When he had cable (until they changed things) he was able to hook up all the TVs in the house and pay one basic cable fee. Well, they put the kibosh on this and said he'd have to pay for each TV using a mini cable box. The mini box never worked, even after the cable guy was called to fix it. So, frustrated will all this, we switched him to Dish.

He watches TV inside the house on a single TV, but he'd like to watch TV in the garage while he's tinkering in there. I hooked him up with rabbit ears OTA in the garage, but he really likes the old movies on TCM. Sorry pop, no TCM on the rabbit ears.

Question: If the garage TV is only about 20ft from the interior TV, is there a way he can watch Dish programming in the garage without having to lease additional Dish equipment? Using an HDMI splitter or switch or something? He only needs to watch either the interior TV or the garage TV, not both at the same time. He lives alone.

So several months ago I switched my dad from COX cable over to a Dish Flex package and everything is going great. All the channels he wants for less monthly fee. COX billing was out of control. He has a VIP221K model receiver according to his "My Equipment' listing on his Dish account.

When he had cable (until they changed things) he was able to hook up all the TVs in the house and pay one basic cable fee. Well, they put the kibosh on this and said he'd have to pay for each TV using a mini cable box. The mini box never worked, even after the cable guy was called to fix it. So, frustrated will all this, we switched him to Dish.

He watches TV inside the house on a single TV, but he'd like to watch TV in the garage while he's tinkering in there. I hooked him up with rabbit ears OTA in the garage, but he really likes the old movies on TCM. Sorry pop, no TCM on the rabbit ears.

Question: If the garage TV is only about 20ft from the interior TV, is there a way he can watch Dish programming in the garage without having to lease additional Dish equipment? Using an HDMI splitter or switch or something? He only needs to watch either the interior TV or the garage TV, not both at the same time. He lives alone.
Yep, you can try the HDMI splitter, with just a 20 feet HDMI cable

But I tried this at 35 feet, and was Unsuccessful..

I needed to buy the HDMI extenders, which essentially uses Ethernet cable Cat5e Cat6 instead of a long HDMI cable.

They look like this.

962a89f2e4d8cecabffe7e5cd296337e.jpg

6173e6e512d682a5592498efcda07234.jpg

But 20 feet shouldn't be an issue with just a HDMI cable.

Last edited:
Can try and run a coax cable out there from the Channel 3-4 out port, and watch in glorious SD, but would have to be in front of the box to change the channel.

Can try and run a coax cable out there from the Channel 3-4 out port, and watch in glorious SD, but would have to be in front of the box to change the channel.

I dont know how much of TCM are in HD, If that's mostly what he going to watch, it might not be a problem.

Like Chad said you can run a coax off the receiver and if changing channels is a big deal buy a set of IR / UHF extenders that will let you change the channels from the garage if its not an all metal building. If the TV does not have another ant. input you may need to install an A/B switch.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00023KG40/ezvid02-20

I use an amplified HDMI splitter driving a 40 foot run between floors with no problems The 40' HDMI cable is 24ga 3/8" diameter made by Rix Labs bought from Amazon. The biggest HDMI cable I've ever seen. I am able to remotely change channels with the RF remote by holding it close to the HDMI cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Troch77 and TheLip
Aay, you guys are awesome. Very much appreciate all your replies.

I realized I actually have an extra Monoprice 50ft hdmi cable from a long while back when I was running concealed cables for my home theater project. Will need to locate it in my stash of surplus gizmos. I'm going to try an hdmi splitter and see what happens. If it has positive results, I'll buy the shortest hdmi cable nec (about 20ft) and that should work as well since it's much shorter.

If the cabling works okay, I'll then have to figure out how best to change channels. Pop is going to be totally confused, but if it works he should get used to the procedure pretty quick.

I am using wireless hdmi.Works great. Got it from besbuy and paid $149. And using a $20 splitter.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

It works like wireless joey but without monthly fees and you have to watch the same channel with hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Before we moved, I used a 75' HDMI cable from Monoprice without an amplified splitter. Worked just fine.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Second the wireless HDMI suggestion. From Best Buy, MyWirelessTV2. works well at 50ft within the house.
Two issues: Sometimes the HDMI Transmitter loses HDCP handshake and needs to be rebooted and since it uses 2.4mhz you can have interference with existing wireless connections. I use 5mhz wireless for this reason but sometimes my neighbors setup causes problems.

Reactions: dishdude
Wireless sounds cool...if it wasn't my dad who's going to be the operator LOL He's about as low tech as they get: Hey pop, your HDCP handshake is probably the problem, try a reboot. Huh?, son, what does this have to do with shaking hands with my boots?

I still need to pay a visit to test a hardwired HDMI solution.