hooking up an external hard drive?

2001kx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
i have a 722.
do i have to pay to be able to hook up an external hard drive or is it just plug and play?
i can remember reading somewhere that it is $40.00 to be able to do this....correct?

Can recordings made on an external drive on a 622 be viewed on a 211k reciever on the same account?

No they can't. The 211 and 622 software is different.
when they first announced the 211's external hard drive service they said that it the drive contents could only be used on the 211 box.

I have three (3) 211s... can I hook up 3 separate drives for one (1) activation fee or can I only use one drive shuffled back and forth between them?

I had read through those threads already and found no clear answer. Which is why I asked the question in this one.

As others have pointed out on the SatGuys Forum in several other threads (and I've been noticing it more and more lately...) it would be nice if those who know simple answers such as (1) Yes. Pay one activation fee and every 211 on the account can have it's own external hard drive DVR or (2) No. The activation fee only covers one external hard drive, ... rather than posting links to other threads with dozens of pages which MIGHT have the answer buried somewhere in one post on page 38... well, life would be a bit easier.

Sigh.

If someone who knows could answer this simple question for me I would appreciate it.

Yes.

OK, "you got me now !" Tell me, why I must read ALL posts, remember ALL answers and give the SAME answers again and again because I'm READING ?!
Would you be kind and use Search ? Instead of relay to others ?

Terabyte drive is not officially supported, but may work, if it is a single drive in a box. Some terabyte drives and larger incorporate multiple 500GB or larger drives in an enclosure - these will NOT work.

Be EXTREMELY careful when switching or even removing the EHD from a 211, if it is still writing to the EHD it will corrupt the drive and it may not be easily reconnected.

I recommend you put the 211 in standby, then unplug it, then you may safely disconnect the EHD (hopefully).

I also recommend you reconnect the EHD before powering up the 211.

I have had 2 drives corrupted trying to disconnect or change them on my 211. It is a PITA to get them reconnected and if you finally succeed ann recordings are lost on the corrupted drive.

Last edited:
Reminder: drive makers count 1GB at 10^9 bytes, Dish and most PCs count 1024^3 as 1GB. This means a 750GB drive by maker's call gives you 697GB in your Dish recorder. The difference is not formatting. Dish needs to add a hole collection clean-up routine after you have written and deleted, once or many times--as either a background task or on demand. It does handle fragmentation to a degree but you may still "lose" tens of MB or even a few GB.

You can inspect all 622/722/612 times and the one highlighted size in MB used for recordings internally by DVR-4-2 with the drive attached after the recordings are finished and are not being viewed. For the EHD DVR-4-1 it shows all the sizes and the one highlighted time. It is unfortunate you cannot see either list while recording. They may have done better on the 211, comment invited.

-Ken

Reformating drive to use with windows again

I have been using a 500 GB drive with my 211 and want replace it with a 250 GB drive. And put the 500 GB drive back in my computer. I am using win XP. When I go into disk managment and rescan my drives. The 500Gb drive is displayed for only a few seconds. When I right click on the drive the only option available is delete partition. When I click this option I am told an error has occured. I think that it is now formated in Linxus and windows has a brain fart. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts