Hooking up R15

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hilbs31

Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
As a Directv customer for over a year, I recently decided to upgrade to a DVR receiver. I installed the receiver the other night but now realize that because I have only one input into my receiver, I can't record one channel and watch another (or record two channels at the same time). I have a round dish with only one lnb and this may be the problem. I unhooked the input and hooked it into a splitter (one that was lying around the house) so that I could get two signals going into the receiver. This seemed to work. However, when I tried to record on one channel and watch another, I was only allowed to watch certain channels. And some of the time, the DVR would only record a program if I was surfing certain other channels. Do I need a different splitter? Any other advice?

You will need to find out if the LNB(little white knob in front) on your dish has 2 connections or only 1. If 2 connections and no other receivers then all you will need to do is run another RG6 cable from the dish to the DVR. If it only has 1 connection then you will need to get one that has 2. If you have 2 receivers then you will need to get a multiswitch. It will require the 2 cables from the dish to go to the input on the multiswitch and then run the outputs to the receivers.

davidrumm said:
You will need to find out if the LNB(little white knob in front) on your dish has 2 connections or only 1. If 2 connections and no other receivers then all you will need to do is run another RG6 cable from the dish to the DVR. If it only has 1 connection then you will need to get one that has 2. If you have 2 receivers then you will need to get a multiswitch. It will require the 2 cables from the dish to go to the input on the multiswitch and then run the outputs to the receivers.

Right-o. Splitter's won't work for DVRs. Ever. Not in the way you want them to work, anyway. Won't go into too much detail at this point, but quite simply, a splitter on a DVR causes the LNB to fight over whether or not it's going to look at an odd or even transponder - usually resulting in a "Searching for Satellite Signal" or "771" message on half or all of your channels.

davidrumm is correct. If the DVR is the only receiver you have in the home, then all you have to do is run another RG6 coax cable, straight from the dish to the Sat-In-2 jack on the back of the receiver. If you have another receiver, though, you will need a multi-switch - yada, yada, as david said.

Well said David and Chris. I just wanted to add to remember to insert a quality high frequency dual ground block with a ground wire properly grounded.

-Robert

a splitter wont work on any directv ird , not just the dvr

come on robert!!!!!! never a splitter, a high quality MULTISWITCH

on the previous post, should have known ...tier1

when in doubt call boise

and i am a directv level 3 tech

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)