hooking up tv with no receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Annie2005

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
California
Just received Directv setup two rooms with HR20's HD DVR's(asked for 24's, said he didn't have any) with Whole house. I have a third set in the bedroom that shares a wall with the TV in the family room. I had had Dish multi room with that TV but now it has nothing but a cable running from it to the floor next to the set in the family room. I seldom watch that TV but on the rare occasions I would like to at least watch the same channel as on the other set. Is there a way to hook up that cable so I can watch in the bedroom? BTW Directs multi room is MUCH better than Dishes.

Just received Directv setup two rooms with HR20's HD DVR's(asked for 24's, said he didn't have any) with Whole house. I have a third set in the bedroom that shares a wall with the TV in the family room. I had had Dish multi room with that TV but now it has nothing but a cable running from it to the floor next to the set in the family room. I seldom watch that TV but on the rare occasions I would like to at least watch the same channel as on the other set. Is there a way to hook up that cable so I can watch in the bedroom? BTW Directs multi room is MUCH better than Dishes.

All the outputs on the recvrs are active, so IF your currently using HDMI we'll say, then you have a Component and a Composite that you could run to the other room and use for watching the other TV.

All the outputs on the recvrs are active, so IF your currently using HDMI we'll say, then you have a Component and a Composite that you could run to the other room and use for watching the other TV.

OK, I'm not a techie so please talk to me as the idiot I am! I see two open connect places on the back of the receiver. One says OFF AIR IN and the other says SATELLITE 2. Would I connect the cable from the TV in the bedroom to one of those? Or do I need to use a splitter on the cable going to satellite 1? The cable I think is HDMI with a pin and twist head.

OK so I looked up Component and Composite and it seems like they are two different kinds of connections other than HDMI so I would need these two connections to run to the other TV? I'm really confused.

You won't need both to a single TV. Just either component OR composite. With component you'll also need an audio connection. So for component you have 4 connections from the satellite receiver to the TV. (The red,green,blue cables and an audio cable). For composite, you would have 3 connections (red,white,yellow) and that includes audio. The composite connection won't give you HD (it will just be SD). The component will give you HD (assuming you want to watch HD).

You can't use the existing coax cable that's just laying there unused.

starting to make sense?

Yes the composite (Yellow, red, white) would work for SD. If you want HD you could us component + red and white for sound. Or you could use a switch or splitter for HDMI. If you are trying to use coax you could hook up an RF modulator to the composite outputs on the receiver then hook up the coax to the RFM, that would be the easiest way. You can buy modulators pretty much anywhere they sell electronics.

Yes the composite (Yellow, red, white) would work for SD. If you want HD you could us component + red and white for sound. Or you could use a switch or splitter for HDMI. If you are trying to use coax you could hook up an RF modulator to the composite outputs on the receiver then hook up the coax to the RFM, that would be the easiest way. You can buy modulators pretty much anywhere they sell electronics.

OK. It sounds like I can either take a set of red white yellow and plug in to back of TV1 that has DVR (no red yellow white spots available on back of DVR) thru the wall and plug in to r-y-w- slots on back of TV2 or same with red blue green; or get an HDMI splitter where I think I would take the input from the DVR to the splitter instead of TV1 then from the splitter to TV1 and to TV2; or three get an RF Modulator, plug in white yel. red cables from TV1 to the RFM and then to the coax from TV2. Do I have it right? Right now the Directv installer has the HDMI going to TV and also RED, Yel White AND black ones with red blue green spots all going to TV. Seems like I shouldn't need all three kinds of hook ups.Thanks so much for your help!

Looks like HDMI, components and composites are ALL connected from HR20 to TV. Do I need them all?

Looks like HDMI, components and composites are ALL connected from HR20 to TV. Do I need them all?

Nope, you only need one of them, preferably the HDMI to your good set.
Your choice as to what you use to the other set, if it's a HD set you'll want to avoid the Composite set up.

Call D* to come back and finish the install before you screw up the working TV.

How are they going to screw up the working TV, the HDMI cable is in the main TV, nothing wrong with adding a second set up for the second TV.

Not D*'s job to set up that kind of set up on TV 2, however, they shouldn't have all the connections hooked up to TV1

Nope, you only need one of them, preferably the HDMI to your good set.
Your choice as to what you use to the other set, if it's a HD set you'll want to avoid the Composite set up.

Couldn't I just put a splitter on the coax coming from the satellite to the Deca to the receiver and plug in the coax coming from the other TV?

No because that coax only contains the raw satellite signal and the control signals to the dish. Since the HD boxes do not have a coax out, you will have to use either composite (yellow/white/red), S-video (round 4 pin plug + white/red), or component (red/green/blue - white/red). They are in order from worst to best quality, so use the best one the second TV has available. If it is an HDTV, use component. If it's a regular TV, use S-video if the TV has it, or else use composite. If the second TV has NONE of those, you will need to buy an RF modulator (in the DVD hookup section of any discount store). You hook the RF modulator to the composite jacks on the receiver, then hook the coax to the modulator. This broadcasts the audio and video on channel 3 or 4 to the second TV.

Also keep in mind, you don't have to go spend mucho bucks on component cables. Usually (unless you have severe radio interference) you can get away with the lower-midgrade cables that cost about $15 for 12 feet at Walmart. Most people don't need the $100 12 foot Monster cables for their bedroom TV. Monster is more of a 'look at me' status symbol than a worthwhile purchase.

Last edited:
No because that coax only contains the raw satellite signal and the control signals to the dish. Since the HD boxes do not have a coax out, you will have to use either composite (yellow/white/red), S-video (round 4 pin plug + white/red), or component (red/green/blue - white/red). They are in order from worst to best quality, so use the best one the second TV has available. If it is an HDTV, use component. If it's a regular TV, use S-video if the TV has it, or else use composite. If the second TV has NONE of those, you will need to buy an RF modulator (in the DVD hookup section of any discount store). You hook the RF modulator to the composite jacks on the receiver, then hook the coax to the modulator. This broadcasts the audio and video on channel 3 or 4 to the second TV.

Also keep in mind, you don't have to go spend mucho bucks on component cables. Usually (unless you have severe radio interference) you can get away with the lower-midgrade cables that cost about $15 for 12 feet at Walmart. Most people don't need the $100 12 foot Monster cables for their bedroom TV. Monster is more of a 'look at me' status symbol than a worthwhile purchase.

Thank you! That's very clear! I have all connections open on TV2 so I will just get components long enough to reach--it's only about 8 feet down and through the wall--and hook it up. Thanks again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.