Hooper/Joey DVR Functions Freezing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Speedcity89

Original poster
May 8, 2012
Indiana, USA
Hopper/Joey DVR Functions Freezing

Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster. As with many of you, I bit on upgrading to a Hopper shortly after the release and have had my 1H/1J set-up for about three weeks. Until about four or five days ago, everything has been working flawlessly; however, the Hopper/Joey has now become effectively useless. My symptoms are as follows:

Anytime I try to use any DVR function (watching a recorded show, or pausing live TV) the Hopper freezes up (on live TV) or nearly freezes up (on recorded shows). On live TV, If I leave it alone long enough, it will eventually reset or return to live TV, other than this, the only way to get it out of its frozen state is to hit the "View Live TV" button. On recorded shows, the best case scenario is that the video plays back like a streaming video with a slow internet connection. I thought initially that my recordings were marred by a dropped satellite connection; however, if I rewind the recorded shows past a part where they skipped, the playback will skip/lock-up on a different part than what it did originally. The worst case scenario with recorded shows is the same as live TV (complete lock-up) As you can imagine, this has caused me extreme frustration, as this ruins all functions except for live TV.

I have called technical support twice with this issue and we have tried multiple items including hard and soft resets and a switch test. Upon a hard reset, the Hopper will function properly for about five minutes (all DVR functions work); however, after five minutes it goes back to its freezing ways. The second support representative said that this is a known issue that has to do with the guide updating and satellite signal strength. For being a known issue, I have not been able to find anything about it on here. For your reference here are some of the parameters of my set-up:

Hopper Software Version: S209, 4/27/12, 2:26 AM
Joey Software Version: S261, 5/3/12, 3:28 AM
Signal Strength:
110: 61
119: 71
129: 53
Switch Test: OK
I have also checked the installation with the guides posted here and it appears all of the coax, connectors, and other equipment was installed properly.
EDIT: I should also point out that the average temperature of the Hopper is 120 degrees and the high temperature is 129 degrees.

I am hoping for help here as technical support has been of little assistance (outside of the resets they have not offered many solutions). They have offered to send a technician out; however, I would like avoid that at all costs as this means, since I work first shift M-F, my whole Saturday is shot (my "morning" installation did not begin until 1:30 PM and ended at 3:30 PM). I would feel differently if I were compensated for my time, or could get a technician visit on a smaller than the standard 4 hour window. I am capable of carrying out most test procedures myself (I am an Electrical Engineer who works in communications) and if the Hopper needs replaced I would rather them send me one and I will replace it. I appreciate any help or input you all can provide. Thank you all for contributing to such a wonderful forum.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts