Confrence Call for First Quarter Results

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Let the Speculation begin! :)

DISH Announces Conference Call for First Quarter 2012 Financial Results - MarketWatch

DISH Announces Conference Call for First Quarter 2012 Financial Results

ENGLEWOOD, CO, Apr 23, 2012 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) -- DISH Network Corporation /quotes/zigman/109220/quotes/nls/dish DISH -1.67% will host a conference call at noon ET on Monday, May 7, 2012 to discuss its first quarter financial results. The dial-in number is (800) 616-6729.

DISH will distribute a financial results news release prior to the call. It will be available to view on the company's Investor Relations website at DISH Network - Investor Relations - 1.888.825.2557 .

About DISH DISH Network Corporation /quotes/zigman/109220/quotes/nls/dish DISH -1.67% , through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 13.967 million satellite TV customers, as of Dec. 31, 2011, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit DISH Satellite TV Packages From $19.99. Ask About HD Free For Life. .

I honestly can't predict with any certainty but will say a modest gain.

Tampa8 said:
I honestly can't predict with any certainty but will say a modest gain.

Honestly, I noticed quite a few people on the forums saying that they were switching from other providers to Dish.

I'm hopping that the quarter will reveal a small gain of subs . IF it does show a gain , then it would have to be to the Hopper debut. Even if it was just the middle of March when it actually hit the market.

Since I don't own any Dish stock, I couldn't give a crap whether they gained or lost subs. OTOH, sub losses could mean more consumer friendly ideas are implimented, such as improved customer service, getting the H/J to be relatively bug-free, more promos, better retention deals, etc.

I say they gain about 25K subs. I only say that because several of my friends cancelled and switched to Directv and they where pretty aggressive in offering incentives to continue being a customer, where as in the past their attitude was to do nothing and tell the customer not to let the door hit them on the way out.

I don't think hopper/joey installations had any impact on new sales, as it has not been heavly advertised.

I'm going to say the net subscribers are going to shrink by -15K. Any success Dish achived with the Hopper/Joey will be offset by FiOS/AT&T/DirecTV. Verizon reported adding another 180K FiOS TV subscribers during the 1st quarter; they now have over 4.4M subscribers which is pretty good considering they stopped deploying into new markets two years ago. AT&T added 200K U-Verse TV subscribers to move them past the 4M customer mark.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised to see a loss this quarter. During the last conference call in February, CEO Joe Clayton that they had hit the 14 million subscriber mark again. And that was before the hopper launch. You figure since the hopper launch, they probably added between 50k-100k net subs. So I'm going to say that they gained about 100k subs for Q1 2012.
Dish Network's CEO Discusses Q4 2011 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

I would say net add 150,000 subscribers.

Wow. I expect a net gain, but - wow. I'm sure you know better than me.

I expect H/J to start showing it's legs in Q2 & Q3 results. Maybe with a bang-up 4th Q, if the economy holds. I really think H/J is going to be a good engine for future growth and profitability.

The ad sounds pretty annoying. Is it more annoying than HAWPA!?

BTW, I haven't been hiding. Just watching a normal amount of TV. (2-3 hrs/day) But, that includes HBO/Showtime programming, which doesn't have ads. And, the broadcast stuff we watch is always DVRed or watched after it starts, so as to skip ads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)